What's new

Official 90th Oscar Nominations Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I have worked in the film industry for 30 years and believe me THE SHAPE OF WATER is a masterpiece and fully deserved the best film award.
In what capacity have you worked in the film industry for 30 years?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Theoretically sound editing and sound mixing are two completely different things and one can be done well and the other poorly but the voters vote for it as if it was the same thing.

Reactions: PMF

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I find this pretty surprising given the current climate in Hollywood. I figured a nominated film written and directed by a woman would have been a slam-dunk for some recognition.

I loved Lady Bird. It was my second favorite of the Best Picture nominees, personally, behind Phantom Thread. However, I saw this one coming in recent weeks just because the precursors weren't lining up for it. I think it was really great and would have liked to see it win something, but its losses were all to people whose work was really good, too -- Frances, Alison, Jordan Peele, and GDT -- so I can't really argue with any of those, and its fifth nomination was Picture, which it was unlikely to win without winning something else. It's just a case of there being too much good work and not enough space to honor everything, which I suppose is a really good position for the Academy to be in. Greta Gerwig made a terrific movie, and where she did it once, she can absolutely do it again, so I fully expect she will be back in this race again sooner rather than later.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
2 hours, 20 minutes in, and there are still 9 awards to give out plus the In Memoriam segment. Show seems to be running even slower than normal tonight.
So-o-o-o-o long was the show that in the interum time span that led up to the Memoriam segment the Academy had to quickly re-edit the loop and add in a few more names.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Theoretically sound editing and sound mixing are two completely different things and one can be done well and the other poorly but the voters vote for it as if it was the same thing.

I think this is due to the fact that voters from the other non-sound branches of the Academy may not fully understand what the difference is between the two. Nominees are determined by the sound branch, but all members are eligible to vote for the final winner if they should so choose.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It makes no sense to relegate the Lifetime Achievement award to only a luncheon that gets reduced to only a paltry sound-bite clip.
Where's the honor in that?
Can you imagine missing Peter O' Toole's speech? Or Chaplin's? Or Hitch's?
THE worst part of the telecast and evening is the omission of this award.
It's an MIA highlight.
And let's be frank, most of America and the world have not seen the Best Documentary, short film and animation films that won.
This portion of the show losses the momentum; especially for those tuning in who want to see their stars.
I am not suggesting that those aforementioned catagories be cut from the show;
but, at the same time, if there's time for this then there's time for that.
Especially when one considers the time wasted over bringing the Oscars over to the movie theater across the street.
As for Best Song? I say, skip four of the five songs and present a live rendition of only the song that wins. That would save a lot of time.
I wished I got to hear Donald Sutherland or Lauren Bacall or Spike Lee.
Oscar...please reinstate the Lifetime Achievement Award to the live ceremonies.

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs

They're different disciplines but one affects the other. It's hard to tell how great the sound effects are if the mix is lousy. Production design and set decoration are very different things, but they're lumped together. So are practical, physical effects and CGI, but they both fall under visual effects.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Today I met a friend at our local theater to see Red Sparrow. But when we got there, he said he hadn't yet seen the new Best Picture winner, The Shape of Water. He knew that I'd seen it already, but he wondered if I'd be willing to see it again (esp. since we both have MoviePass). Since I'm a "movie monster" (as my family has called me for decades), of course I said, "Sure, I'd love to see The Shape of Water again!"

My surprise, however, was that even though I'd liked it a lot the first time (I think it was my third ranked movie for 2017, and I gave it an "A-" rating) the second time was much better for me. I laughed several times, was moved close to tears several times, and was just wowed by the visual and audio poetry of the film. In my re-rating of the movie, it's now an "A+". My friend also really liked the film.

Anyway, I think the Academy got it right this year. The Shape of Water now ties with my other favorite movie of 2017, which was/is The Last Jedi.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
In what capacity have you worked in the film industry for 30 years?

Professional actor and on occasions ,a dancer.- almost 100 roles on stage ( numerous times at the Sydney Opera House),commercials, films and television .Mostly in Sydney, a couple of stage shows in Melbourne and a commercial in Finland. I also worked on location several times,as an assistant on a 3-strip Kinopanorama film (Russian's answer to Cinerama).I still have some 3 strip footage of myself .Worked also in cinemas as an usher, doorman ,manager in several cinemas-incl Cinerama and TODD-AO (62 ft wide screen). I have worked with Karl Malden ( of "How The West Was Won" fame);Julie Christie;Lee Grant (of "Psycho' fame) and too many others to list here. The most famous person who came to see a film where I was working was Vivian Leigh.I was standing next to her when she bought a packet of life savers).I once got invited to see Glenda Jackson in her dressing room after her stage performance . Once auditioned for Robert Helpman but was unsuccessful. Hope this satisfies you querie.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
To each his own. I liked the film and will buy it on 4K/UHD disc, but I don't love it. Perhaps I will with future viewings. By the way, what does being in the film industry has to do with it?

I also used to vote in my country's annual film awards and also on occasions, I would be on a panel of people who decided on which films would end up as being nominate for the various awards.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

I'm okay with this since the results are definitely skewing to more personal and idiosyncratic films instead of the usual formulaic tent pole blockbusters. The actual frequent filmgoers (who go often and want to see something different for a change) are finally having a lopsided effect on what gets nominated, and that's as it should be.

But this is the same phenomenon that continues to drive down the ratings for the Academy Award show. Since the mass appeal blockbusters that don't get the big thumbs up from the more movie savvy aren't represented, their fair weather fans don't tune in. But again, I'm okay with that since the award, and the show, in my opinion, should be more for people who seek out and are more adventurous with their film selections.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The thing that's changed is audience tastes. It used to be that films like The French Connection, The Godfather, The Sting and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest could be both Best Picture winners and blockbusters. If those films were released today, almost no one would go see them.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Professional actor and on occasions ,a dancer.- almost 100 roles on stage ( numerous times at the Sydney Opera House),commercials, films and television .Mostly in Sydney, a couple of stage shows in Melbourne and a commercial in Finland. I also worked on location several times,as an assistant on a 3-strip Kinopanorama film (Russian's answer to Cinerama).I still have some 3 strip footage of myself .Worked also in cinemas as an usher, doorman ,manager in several cinemas-incl Cinerama and TODD-AO (62 ft wide screen). I have worked with Karl Malden ( of "How The West Was Won" fame);Julie Christie;Lee Grant (of "Psycho' fame) and too many others to list here. The most famous person who came to see a film where I was working was Vivian Leigh.I was standing next to her when she bought a packet of life savers).I once got invited to see Glenda Jackson in her dressing room after her stage performance . Once auditioned for Robert Helpman but was unsuccessful. Hope this satisfies you querie.
The Sydney Opera House just ain't the same as doing Broadway.:eek::rolleyes:;)
P.S. Were those the regular Peppermint Life Savers or the Multi-Colored roll?:unsure:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
That’s great and all but what does any of that have to do with your post regarding your opinion of The Shape Of Water?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I looked it up and he was added last minute to last year's segment.

The most outrageous In Memoriam omission is Tobe Hooper. The guy directed The Texas Chain Saw Massacre which is a masterpiece and in the Museum Of Modern Art & made a Sight & Sound Top 250 list but I guess George Romero (who is also richly deserving of recognition) was enough to cover the horror genre for the Academy.

There was a clip from TCSM in one of the montages. I forget which one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks