What's new

Official 90th Oscar Nominations Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
The Sydney Opera House just ain't the same as doing Broadway.:eek::rolleyes:;)
P.S. Were those the regular Peppermint Life Savers or the Multi-Colored roll?:unsure:

You are correct:the Sydney Opera House 'ain't the same as Broadway' - it has less shows that flop. It's also one the world's most famous buildings . From my experience ,there are very few theatres that are actually situated on Broadway - the majority of them are on side streets. Not one can be considered an icon like the SOH. Anyway, it's not where the theatre is situated but the quality of the show that counts. I have seen numerous shows on Broadway but none will ever match the experience of going to the theatre in Vienna at night. That is indeed an experience not matched anywhere else in the world .

PS It was peppermint lifesavers. The film that she saw was THE INNOCENTS.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
You are correct:the Sydney Opera House 'ain't the same as Broadway' - it has less shows that flop. It's also one the world's most famous buildings . From my experience ,there are very few theatres that are actually situated on Broadway - the majority of them are on side streets. Not one can be considered an icon like the SOH. Anyway, it's not where the theatre is situated but the quality of the show that counts. I have seen numerous shows on Broadway but none will ever match the experience of going to the theatre in Vienna at night. That is indeed an experience not matched anywhere else in the world .

PS It was peppermint lifesavers. The film that she saw was THE INNOCENTS.
That's some funny stuff and true to form, as prior experiences have informed me that an Aussie never backs down.:thumbs-up-smiley:
But truly, I would be damned proud and consider myself a success had I performed at The Sydney Opera House, as well.:cheers:

P.S. I'm starting to wonder if your mention of The Innocents is coincidental or an indicator that your country loved this film, as another HTF member who hails from your region had thankfully recommended this film to me. And while you got to meet Miss Scarlett at this showing I, in turn, got to meet and converse with the film's DP Freddie Francis while working as an Extra during a night shoot in the early 1990's.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
That's some funny stuff and true to form, as prior experiences have informed me that an Aussie never backs down.:thumbs-up-smiley:
But truly, I would be damned proud and consider myself a success had I performed at The Sydney Opera House, as well.:cheers:

P.S. I'm starting to wonder if your mention of The Innocents is coincidental or an indicator that your country loved this film, as another HTF member who hails from your region had thankfully recommended this film to me. And while you got to meet Miss Scarlett at this showing I, in turn, got to meet and converse with the film's DP Freddie Francis while working as an Extra during a night shoot in the early 1990's.
I
It was in New Zealand where I saw Vivian Leigh.I later moved to Australia to live

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
In Memoriam at The Oscars:

The live soloist aspects are getting a bit distracting. Front and center should be those who have passed. Pre-recorded music should return. The director and/or cameraman can't seem to decide who is more important; the musician or the deceased. Mostly, though, the deceased are in the background. It may look artistic and/or stylish, but it gets in the way and fails on its ultimate mission.

With that said, was I distracted or were there two key omissions?
A) Richard Schickel
B) Heather Menzies-Urich

Is it AMC or TCM? Either way, one of them has annually provided a far superior In Memoriam presentation over The Oscars.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Is it AMC or TCM? Either way, one of them has annually provided a far superior In Memoriam presentation over The Oscars.

That would be TCM. The 2017 edition had its own thread a while back that was sticky in the movies forum for a while. You can probably find it via the search box.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I completely agree with the In Memoriam being fractured by a live musician performance. A prepared segment with appropriate music and mixing to match making room for actual actor dialog is defintely superior.

I totally get why they are going with a live performance. The idea I guess is to have the emotion of a musician who can do that be more powerful, but it absolutely takes away from the people being remembered.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think they're trying to stop the "applause-o-meter" that has historically taken place during the segment, with the audience applauding loudly for the famous actors, but nothing for the lesser-known crew persons. If someone is performing, people are less likely to interrupt that performance with repeated applause of varying intensity.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I think they're trying to stop the "applause-o-meter" that has historically taken place during the segment, with the audience applauding loudly for the famous actors, but nothing for the lesser-known crew persons. If someone is performing, people are less likely to interrupt that performance with repeated applause of varying intensity.

Yes, there's that too. I think I noticed in previous years (I couldn't tell you which) that they tended to remember the actors which they knew would garner a lot of applause towards the end of the segment. Perhaps to just 'bunch up' the applause, so to speak.

I'm not entirely what drives the current order. Is it the chronological order in which the individuals passed?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm not entirely what drives the current order. Is it the chronological order in which the individuals passed?

I could be totally wrong on this, so don't take my word as gospel. However, I don't think there is anything particularly diving the order, that I know of, other than whatever order the producers think will make the most compelling clip package.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks