What's new

The Official 2019 Oscars Nomination Announcements Discussions & Predictions Thread (1 Viewer)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah. I like that article, too, Martin. Leave it to Kareem. :thumbsup:

That story about Stephen Crane is spot on and covers a lot of different scenarios about why certain facts might get tweaked to tell a more effective story.

There's journalism. And then there's fact-based fiction.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Where do you get the 4K streaming? Does Netflix have any 4K content? Just got a Samsung Q9 4K 65" and am hankering for some content (do not have a 4K blu-ray player yet and will not be collecting 4k discs).
Netflix has lots of 4K content, if you're willing to pay for the premium membership. All of their originals for the last few years have been shot in 4K with a 4K postproduction. One of the main reasons Arri came out with the Alexa LF was to meet Netflix's requirement for true 4K content.

However, Green Book is not on Netflix. Matt must have bought or rented it from one of the digital e-tailers. It looks like iTunes, Vudu, Google Play, Fandango Now, and YouTube all have it available to buy in 4K.

EDIT: That was weird. When I wrote my reply, the quoted post was the most recent post in the thread. Once I submitted the post, it was on page 43 of 48. I must have cached an old version of the thread.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Where did you get a 20% off code?

Never heard of that.
Vudu periodically offers incentives to watch their 'free with ads' content. Matt likely did what I did, watch something with ads to get the 20% off code, then made good use of it (I used it to get the Spider-man Homecoming/Spider-man Into the Spiderverse UHD combo).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Vudu periodically offers incentives to watch their 'free with ads' content. Matt likely did what I did, watch something with ads to get the 20% off code, then made good use of it (I used it to get the Spider-man Homecoming/Spider-man Into the Spiderverse UHD combo).
Ahh. Good to know. Thanks.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Exactly right. I watched a film in HD that I hadn't watched in several years and never in HD - Panic Room, and the ads aren't really that terrible as they only last 20-30 seconds each in groups of two or three.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Jeffrey Katzenberg says that Spielberg is not trying to block Netflix films from the Oscars.
https://deadline.com/2019/03/jeff-katzenberg-steven-spielberg-netflix-oscars-1202572339/

"
“I talked to Steven about this yesterday. I asked him very specifically,” Katzenberg said during the panel. He said, ‘I absolutely did not say that.’ “

Katzenberg said Friday that Spielberg didn’t say anything about Netflix. In fact, he said it was a journalist that took a story and misinterpreted his words.

“What happened is a journalist was onto a story about this and had heard a rumor about Steven,” said Katzenberg. “They called a spokesperson to get a comment and honestly, just twisted it around.”
"

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I looked up Green Book on Vudu and they only gave you the option to BUY the 4k version. Same with iTunes. What's up with that? We rented 4k Interstellar instead.

One thing I need to say about 4k, and I realize this may not be the forum to express it (but where is?) and no one may want to hear it (but that's okay, it's just my opinion):... I'm not lovin' it.

I have a new Samsung 65" 4k QLED HDR set. I've now sampled a few 4k offerings.

I don't like it for the same reason I didn't like Peter Jackson's last Hobbit movie screened at IMAX and shot at 48 fps: It looks like a soap opera video.

Same with the 4k presentations. Granted to most or technical types, they may be considered more accurate, but to an eye used to viewing movies with a film-like quality, a bit of grain, a slightly more 2-dimensional look, they really do look like the type of video I associate with soap operas. I understand it's a prejudice based upon what I am accustomed to or grew up with, but I just prefer a more film-like presentation of my media. I definitely won't be collecting 4K media, and only occasionally will I sample the streaming versions.

Sorry, but I'm tried and Blu, blu-ray lover and that's where it very happily ends for me.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I have a new Samsung 65" 4k QLED HDR set. I've now sampled a few 4k offerings.

I don't like it for the same reason I didn't like Peter Jackson's last Hobbit movie screened at IMAX and shot at 48 fps: It looks like a soap opera video.
I don't have a 4K set, but I think there are settings you can change to lessen or eliminate this look. It has something to do with "video smoothing." This article seems to explain it and gives some methods for removing it:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-...p-opera-effect-in-tvs-and-how-to-turn-it-off/

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That’s too bad for you I guess.
Maybe your tv isn’t properly set for correct watching.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don't have a 4K set, but I think there are settings you can change to lessen or eliminate this look.

Yeah the soap opera effect can almost always be turned off and has nothing to do with its 4K abilities.

I have a six year old tv that has this setting and it’s turned off.
On my tv it’s called reduce judder. High medium low or off.

Might be called something else on your tv. Motion smoothing or similar.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I don't have a 4K set, but I think there are settings you can change to lessen or eliminate this look. It has something to do with "video smoothing." This article seems to explain it and gives some methods for removing it:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-...p-opera-effect-in-tvs-and-how-to-turn-it-off/

Thanks. Yeah, this is a 240hz set, so it makes sense to turn off the motion smoothing, but sheesh, why should we have to get this technical? You just want to plug in and play. But I hate the soap opera look, so I will make adjustment. But apparently, it may have to be done on the app for Vudu, as well. More sheesh.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks