What's new

The Official 2019 Oscars Nomination Announcements Discussions & Predictions Thread (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thanks. Yeah, this is a 240hz set, so it makes sense to turn off the motion smoothing, but sheesh, why should we have to get this technical? You just want to plug in and play. But I hate the soap opera look, so I will make adjustment. But apparently, it may have to be done on the app for Vudu, as well. More sheesh.
It needs to only be adjusted on the hdmi input you are using. Not the particular app.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I looked up Green Book on Vudu and they only gave you the option to BUY the 4k version. Same with iTunes. What's up with that? We rented 4k Interstellar instead.
Green Book has been available to rent in regular HDX on Vudu, iTunes, etc since Tuesday. And there is no upcharge for 4K.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I looked up Green Book on Vudu and they only gave you the option to BUY the 4k version. Same with iTunes. What's up with that? We rented 4k Interstellar instead.
Vudu does limit some of their rentals to HD only, but I’m pretty sure iTunes does not. If a film is available for rental at iTunes, the rental will be in 4K too.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It needs to only be adjusted on the hdmi input you are using. Not the particular app.

Depends on the display. My LG OLED has separate settings for HD, 4K HDR, and 4K Dolby Vision. Doesn't matter which HDMI input you use.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Vudu does limit some of their rentals to HD only, but I’m pretty sure iTunes does not. If a film is available for rental at iTunes, the rental will be in 4K too.

This is correct. If you can buy a title in 4K on iTunes, you can rent it in 4K as well.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'm not wrong when I said, at least last week, iTunes only had the option to BUY Green Book, not to rent. Now I see it is available for rent at $5.99, 4k. That was not there before. I think they were trying to max out profit on Oscar win.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm not wrong when I said, at least last week, iTunes only had the option to BUY Green Book, not to rent. Now I see it is available for rent at $5.99, 4k. That was not there before. I think they were trying to max out profit on Oscar win.

Releasing a film digitally for purchase before it's available digitally to rent is pretty standard practice.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
A film is always available to rent the same day it is available to purchase. And that would be Tuesday for Green Book. You never specified when you tried to rent it but since you posted that comment today it’s logical to assume you tried very recently.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Depends on the display. My LG OLED has separate settings for HD, 4K HDR, and 4K Dolby Vision. Doesn't matter which HDMI input you use.
I know. I have the same set.;)

But once you adjust that input, the settings are applied to what ever you view on that hdmi input.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I know. I have the same set.;)

But once you adjust that input, the settings are applied to what ever you view on that hdmi input.

Yep, but you have to be aware of how the display works and make sure you separately calibrate all of the different sources you have going to that input. The factory defaults leave a lot to be desired. If you're not aware of what's going on you can come to some incorrect conclusions about what you're seeing.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Absolutely. The HDR and Dolby Vision modes on my OLED both had to be calibrated on initial use to get rid of that god awful soap opera effect.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Releasing a film digitally for purchase before it's available digitally to rent is pretty standard practice.

That's obviously what happened here. I have previously only watched films for rent on Spectrum on Demand, which doesn't have 4K and only has rentals. This was my first foray into streaming purchases and, initially, Green Book was available only for purchase, per as you describe. That was new to me. The rental is now up.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
But once it is unstuck, we can still use it like any normal thread, correct? It just won't be at the top of the page unless someone posts in it?

Thanks for the heads up, but it seems to me that whether it is sticky or not doesn't seem to matter much.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
But once it is unstuck, we can still use it like any normal thread, correct? It just won't be at the top of the page unless someone posts in it?

Thanks for the heads up, but it seems to me that whether it is sticky or not doesn't seem to matter much.
Of course, I'm just letting people know they might have to search for it to post again after April 1st.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I finally got around to seeing Green Room last night.

Peg and I both enjoyed it a LOT. Far and away better than Bohemian Rhapsody. And as good as Rami Malek was in BR, I think Viggo Mortenson also strongly delivered in GR. He and Ali gave really terrific performances. Excellent writing and music from start to end.

I haven't seen BlacKKKlansman, but I think it's too bad Spike Lee dumped on Green Room's BP win.

In fact, I haven't felt this good about a Best Picture winner since La La Land a couple years ago. ;)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I've never seen Green Room.

And, yes, there really was a mix-up at the Oscars that year - La La Land should've won Best Picture. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks