What's new

The Joey Bishop Show in its entirety and in separate seasons is finally out on DVD…details below (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
When they ran seasons 2-4 on TV Land, were they complete there? If so, I guess I'll be pulling out the tapes I picked up from that run that I've been sitting on waiting for DVDs. Too bad about season 1 though, as to me that's the best format of the series. Ironic thing is that they included the pilot from The Danny Thomas Show and that runs 25 minutes!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The last few episodes I watched clocked in at 23 minutes. The edits are a bit more subtle too. Not sure why they were so crude on the first few episodes, including the color episode "A Windfall For Mom". The opening intro seems to have been cut and all they left was the title and "Starring Joey Bishop". :rolleyes:

I wish they could have just timesped them to pick up the extra 2 1/2 minutes. What it looks like they did, from scanning the first several episodes, is they join the show's teaser in progress.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I noticed that too, Neil, about the pilot episode. Apparently on the Questar set, the pilot was edited. I am hanging onto my Questar set for the uncut Season 2 episodes.

I was particularly interested in one Season 1 episode featuring Jesslyn Fax (who I think it hilarious). She is supposed to play a cleaning woman. Either I missed seeing her because her appearance was so brief or they deleted her scene.

If you really watch closely, certain close-ups in some episodes of Season 1 look jerky. Not sure why as the rest of the episodes look fine. Not sure if that's a remastering flaw or a dvd authoring flaw.

I'm on Disc 2 now and watching a few episodes nightly. I will say "Five Brides For Joey" has been the funniest episode so far. LOL!

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
As I continue to watch Season 1 on DVD, I have noticed that in the episode "Barney The Bloodhound" there seems to be an authoring error. The first part of the episode looks jerky. Not sure if that is how the episode appeared when it aired recently. Also, the episode "Taming of the Brat" ends without resolution. Did it really end that way? You never find out what happens to Ronnie. Very odd! This has got to be the worst DVD set produced this year.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
We don't get that many releases for television shows from this time period anymore, so when something is announced, it is disappointing and quite frustrating to discover a lousy job has been done on the release. This sounds like a real botched job.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
We don't get that many releases for television shows from this time period anymore, so when something is announced, it is disappointing and quite frustrating to discover a lousy job has been done on the release. This sounds like a real botched job.
"Botched" is the perfect word for this release. I doubt Joey Bishop himself would have allowed such a release. Many episodes have such an unresolved feel to them as the tag scenes are missing from the end. It skips right to the pre-closing credits before they fade out and go right to the actual closing credits. It's most disappointing as the season plays on because the episodes got better and funnier.

upperco

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackson Upperco
Same quality and edits as the recent run, it seems. But now I can free up the space on my DVR without having to do any of my own maneuvering to save the episodes. Still a net-plus (as far as I'm concerned).

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W

Sounds to me the company that released this literally half-assed this entire series just for the sake of getting it out onto DVD to make a fast buck. They need to go back to the drawing board and take the necessary time and steps and produce a better and more improved set for the customers and fans.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I just watched "Double Exposure" and almost the entire episode had that jerky appearance. I'm considering returning my set. It was too expensive for me to just keep and not be happy with the product. If we all do that, they would have to notice that it affects sales.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
If they do any analysis, I guess they figured out their profit would be higher by saving money on restoration, even with fewer sales. In other words, the sales they lose -- such as one to me -- by releasing crap like this wouldn't make up for the expense involved in restoration.

They don't care about those of us who lose out -- they only care about making money -- which is understandable, of course. This wasn't on my short list of shows I wanted, but it is disappointing. Of course, I'm no worse off than before. I'll just pretend it was never released at all. :)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
For anyone interested, you can let SFM know how disappointed you are in this release by sending them a message here: http://www.sfment.com/index.php/contact/#1330962113

If anyone does this, let us know if they reply.

Personally, I'm not as concerned with the picture or sound quality of releases if it's something I'd like, as much as I am with the editing of content. I don't even mind so much if the content is there, but sped up. If it was reported that the shows weren't edited, I'd be on board, but now I'm put off. I'll only get it now if the price is too good to pass up.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Don't care what state the episodes are in -- am going to get the set for only the first season -- I am a huge Joe Flynn fan and he was one of the stars of the show and got so many laughs in the first season, Joey fired him after the first 12 shows and ordered that not only his episodes be destroyed but that the entire first season be kept out of circulation.

The word got out about this and soon Joe was cast as Capt. Binghampton and "McHale's Navy" the following season and the rest is history.

howard1908

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
howard hughes
To be honest I somewhat expected this, SFM has always had a problem giving due reverence to they're comedies; they're westerns on the other hand have fared surprisingly well on DVD, which is certainly a strange dichotomy, this is the third show they've butchered because of a need to cut corners, first it was make room for daddy, then real McCoys and now joey bishop, I've gotta tell you I'm not as excited about the bill Dana release that has been alluded to as of late, because they might just fuck that up too.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I am a huge Joe Flynn fan and he was one of the stars of the show and got so many laughs in the first season, Joey fired him after the first 12 shows and ordered that not only his episodes be destroyed but that the entire first season be kept out of circulation.
That's an interesting story. Do you have any more details on Bishop's issues with Flynn? Was he afraid of being upstaged?

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I've gotta tell you I'm not as excited about the bill Dana release that has been alluded to as of late, because they might just fuck that up too.
I was thinking the same thing. It will probably be a MOD release and the episodes will probably be crammed onto as few discs as possible with authoring issues like JB.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I have to say (and I know I'm in the minority on this one but) I am glad Joey got rid of Joe Flynn (if that's what happened). I found him to be very annoying and unfunny. I didn't care for his type of comedy. I can understand why Joe Flynn was let go because Joey Bishop's type of comedy definitely clashed with Joe Flynn. Joey Bishop has a more subtle and dry sense of humor. In my opinion, the show worked better with Joey as the lead. But many did not care for Joey Bishop as a comic either. So, to each his own.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I have to say (and I know I'm in the minority on this one but) I am glad Joey got rid of Joe Flynn (if that's what happened). I found him to be very annoying and unfunny. I didn't care for his type of comedy. I can understand why Joe Flynn was let go because Joey Bishop's type of comedy definitely clashed with Joe Flynn. Joey Bishop has a more subtle and dry sense of humor. In my opinion, the show worked better with Joey as the lead. But many did not care for Joey Bishop as a comic either. So, to each his own.

I find the first season the best with Joe Flynn, Marlo Thomas, Madge Blake and Warren Berlinger as the supporting cast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks