1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Joey Bishop Show in its entirety and in separate seasons is finally out on DVD...details below

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by rmw650, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Robert13

Robert13 Supporting Actor

Robert
    It's a great season! As the season goes on, I found it got even better. The episode "Must The Show Go On?" is hilarious! I am also finding the last few episodes are not edited as crudely as the rest of the episodes on this set. They are still syndicated versions but at least we feel the storyline has resolved. When it was left sorta hangin', it felt incomplete.

Blimpoy06 and Flashgear like this.
  2. Robert13

Robert13 Supporting Actor

Robert
    UPDATE: I have noticed on the last few episodes of Season 1/Disc 4, the jerky motion thing seems to have stopped. So now I'm wondering if the authoring was messed up and somehow corrected towards the end of Disc 4. We'll see if it continues into the next season. Hopefully not.

Blimpoy06 and Flashgear like this.
  3. cadavra

cadavra Second Unit

mike schlesinger
    Damn, wish I'd known this before pre-ordering it. Oh, well...

FWIW, there's a nostalgia channel called RetroTV that's also airing it, and the teasers are intact.

Mike S.

Flashgear likes this.
  4. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

That's the one vintage TV network not on FIOS. Do they air season one also or is that just on Antenna TV?

5. Message #45 of 79 Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

I'm not a regular viewer of Joey, but I do watch Retro TV quite often, and I've never seen the first season on that network. I assume that season is exclusive to Antenna TV.
    As far as teasers, is that the part where they show Joey doing his stand up act before they go to the title credits? If so, then yes, I just caught an episode, and Retro is showing them. Shame they weren't included on the set.

Flashgear likes this.
  6. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    To elaborate on what others have previously said, I agree, The Joey Bishop Show DVD's that came out a few months ago are no good. The episodes are the same edited ones currently being shown on Antenna TV. Shame on the people who released this. They didn't even use silver/pressed DVD's, the discs are the burned variety, they might be DVD+R instead of DVD-R because they have problems playing in my DVD player. The set is just a complete mess all the way around. Edited episodes, bad discs, I wasted money buying this. The only thing worthwhile on this set is the series pilot episode from The Danny Thomas Show because it happens to be uncut. But everything else is edited. Only hope now, and it's probably a slim hope, is for a decent DVD studio to come along and release the series properly with the uncut episodes.

The season 2 set released by Questar is a keeper because it has uncut episodes, except for "Joey's House Guest" which is edited. First minute or so of the episode is missing, funny banter between Joe Besser and Joey Bishop is what's missing.

Flashgear likes this.
  7. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    Very disappointing. I'd buy it if the episodes weren't edited.

8. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

Just an FYI: I spotted the Joey Bishop Show on Amazon Prime. Season 1 are all listed at 23m each, but 2, 3, and 4 claim to be 25m each. I haven't seen the show since it aired so I don't know if 25m is complete but it seems likely to me that it would be or at least pretty close to it. Also Seasons 2 and 3 are color, Season 4 is B&W.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B07QD83XFM/ref=atv_dp_season_select_atf

9. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    Yes I've noticed this also, I'd be curious to see if the season 3 and 4 shows are really uncut, but I'm not going to pay Amazon's fee in order to find out. I'll just keep my recordings of the edited versions from Antenna TV and continue to hold out a slim hope that one day this series will get a proper DVD release with the uncut episodes. There's one season 4 episode- "The Sultan's Gift" that runs only about 20 minutes, I believe Amazon shows the same 20 minute run time for this episode.

10. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

I watched the first two eps of season two last night. Enjoyed them a lot; forgot how much I liked Joey Bishop back in the day. Incredible timing. Was a bit amused that the first episode has almost the same plot as the first Danny Thomas episode with Marjorie Lord: they're supposed to be honeymooning in Vegas but Joey/Danny end up doing their act on stage.

Flashgear likes this.
  11. MartinP.

Martin
    On the DVD releases the Make Room for Daddy episode that served as the pilot is included and it's uncut. Also uncut are the first episode of Season 1 and Season 2. (I haven't gone beyond the Season 2 DVD's, yet.)

The first season also has 5 color episodes:

1- 3 A Windfall for Mom (color) (October 4, 1961)
    1- 8 Five Brides for Joey (color) (November 1, 1961)
    1-12 The Ham in the Family (color) (December 6, 1961)
    1-20 Double Exposure (color) (February 7, 1962)
    1-25 That's Showbiz (color) (March 14, 1962)

Now, were these episodes filmed in color or colorized? I can't really tell.
    --Some early shows that started filming in color have odd coloring at first. (I'm thinking of My Three Sons monochromatic all pale green kitchen.)
    --Also, if something is colorized there is usually a credit for that. None on those episodes.
    --In fact, the packaging does not even mention there are any color episodes in Season 1 at all.

When these started airing on Antenna-TV, I liked it enough that when a great deal for the entire series on DVD presented itself to me, I decided to buy it, despite the maddening situation of it being edited syndicated episodes.

The first season is maddeningly inconsistent and concentrates too much on Joey's family...sister, brother and mother, instead of his job. (And for awhile they had his other sister and brother-in-law, played by Joe Flynn...verry annoying in this role...until they inexplicably disappear.) They wisely jettisoned this scenario and retooled it for Season 2, although they then added another annoying character in Season 2 played by Guy Marks, who also disappears around the middle of the second season, after an episode revolving around him, and is replaced by the more likable Corbett Monica who stays for the remainder of the series. Season 2 also benefits with the addition of the lovely Abbe Dalton and the daffy Joe Besser, who some might find annoying and/or unlikable, but I don't.

The second season is better, but still has some wild fluctuations in storyline quality. I was mostly familiar with the third season of this series. I've seen most of Season 3 on Antenna-TV and Season 3 is the best season and is where the show should have begun in Season 1. The writing seems better and many guest stars, as themselves, liven things up. I was particularly bowled over with two episodes about the Dodgers and the appearance, in the final third season episode, I believe, of the Andrews Sisters!

The 4th Season the show moved to CBS, even in the plot lines, as long as they agreed to film it in b&w. I've only seen a handful of Season 4.

This series has many oddities. A first season situation completely dismantled half-way through and then altogether for Season 2. Five color episodes. (And a Christmas episode that takes place in March!) Season 2 starts with a new premise and another character who disappears halfway through the season. Season 3 has the infamous LOST episode that dealt with a JFK impressionist. It apparently was destroyed because of current events at the time. Season 4 changes networks. And it reverts to being filmed in b&w. Has any other show began in b&w, changed to color and then reverted to b&w? Plus, a second season DVD release uncut over ten (?) years ago and now a full season syndication edited release.

Even with all this, maybe because of it?, there's something about the show that I get a lot of pleasure out of.

Flashgear and Lecagr like this.
  12. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Screenwriter

Rob Ray
    WAGON TRAIN also changed to color before reverting back to black and white for its final season.

MartinP. likes this.
  13. Message #53 of 79 May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    I agree with much of Martin P's comments.

The 1st season has good moments but overall is an uneven season. Joe Flynn is gone after about 10 episodes into the season, Joey Bishop supposedly fired him. It's interesting to see Marlo Thomas although she doesn't really add a lot to the show, she would later become a star in her own series That Girl. I'm not really familiar with the actor Warren Berlinger, who has the role of Joey's younger brother in the 1st season. Familiar character actress Madge Blake has the role of Joey's mom in season 1, but she is gone after the 1st season and is not seen or mentioned again from season 2 onward. Bill Bixby pops up in a few episodes later on in season 1.

Season 2 is an improvement over season 1. Abby Dalton joins the series as Joey's wife Ellie, she's adequate in the role. Joe Besser has the role of maintenance man Jillson, he is zany and steals just about every scene he's in. The episode "Jillson And The Cinnamon Buns" is very funny. I agree about Guy Marks, he's mostly annoying in the role of Joey's manager, Bishop supposedly fired Marks as well. Corbett Monica is much better in the role. One gimmick they had for awhile in season 2 was when Joey or Ellie communicated with Jillson through the apartment ventilator, I imagine Joey Bishop disliked this gimmick because it was eventually dropped. Joey also had a nickname for his wife Ellie, he called her "Texas" because that's where she was from, but later in the 2nd season he stops using the nickname.

The 3rd season is when the series finally finds a groove and I agree this is the best season. Season 3 has what I think is probably the best episode of the entire series, the episode with Phil Foster and Leo Durocher as guest stars. Lots of laughs in this episode. Another good one is Joey The Comedian vs. Larry The Writer. Lots of laughs in this episode too, especially when Joey blows his top and fires his wife Ellie, and then also threatens to fire their newborn son! :laugh: The episode with Jack Jones is a good one too, also the episode with Jack Carter and the episode with Vic Damone. Lots to enjoy in the 3rd season, best season overall of the series.

Season 4 the show moves to CBS, and at this point the series becomes a bit more subdued and routine, for one thing there are fewer guest stars this season, and with the move to CBS, the series reverted back to black and white for the 4th season. Overall it's a decent season with several good episodes but is lacking the quality that season 3 has. To me, in the 4th season, Joey's sitcom sort of starts to bear a resemblance to The Dick Van Dyke Show.

MartinP. and Flashgear like this.
  14. sjbradford

sjbradford Stunt Coordinator

sjbradford
    Those five color episodes from the first season were indeed filmed in color, rather than colorized. NBC was experimenting with filming in color that seasons: “Wagon Train” had five color episodes that season (they have generally been rerun in B&W over the years, though Encore Westerns has finally shown several of them in color); and “Hazel” filmed a single episode in color that year.

I don’t get why there was so much effort to find a successful vehicle for Joey Bishop. He’s really not very likable or funny on this show.

MartinP. likes this.
  15. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

This episode runs 25 minutes on Amazon and begins with Joey answering the door and Joe Besser coming in.

16. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    Yes, I recorded the episode from Antenna TV and it has the beginning part that's missing on the Questar DVD.

17. Message #57 of 79 May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    To each their own, I think Joey Bishop is likable and funny but his deadpan personality isn't for everybody, it's an acquired taste.

Flashgear likes this.
  18. MartinP.

Martin
    I remembered Warren Berlinger appearing in many TV episodes, particularly a 4 pt. Wonderful World of Disney called Kilroy, or Kilroy Was Here. He was also on Love, American Style in quite a few segments. He actually appeared on That Girl with Marlo Thomas a couple times. I looked up his credits just now and all of the TV series he was a regular on didn't last more than a season. (Among them Bracken's World! and the 1977 Operation Petticoat.) But, this guy has 115 movie & TV credits, he is 81 now, and still working, recently appearing on the Tomlin/Fonda series Grace and Frankie! (Good for him!)

I like Bill BIxby, and his appearance on Joey Bishop's first season was also strange. The actor who played Joey's boss disappears all of a sudden and is replaced with the character's young swinging nephew,played by Bixby.

They stopped that with Jillson, but then they'd have Jillson's wife talking/calling for her husband through the ventilator, an unseen character like Carlton the Doorman on Rhoda.

(By the way, Joe Besser was on a couple first season episodes as a neighbor. He was a mailman and he had the same name, Jillson.)

I also like that episode with Foster/Durocher. Dodger related appearances, mostly on sitcoms, were prevalent through the mid-sixties after the team moved to Los Angeles. Those series include Mister Ed, The Beverly HIllbillies, Dennis the Menace and The Hollywood Palace. I recently picked up the one season series "Hank" on DVD and just noticed yesterday there's an episode titled "Maury Wills Comes to the Rescue." (!)

The other episode you mentioned you liked from Season 3 is one that I haven't seen yet!

Thanks for that information! I did know about that Hazel episode, I have that DVD series. Apparently the sponsor (Ford was it?) wanted NBC to film the first season in color to show off their new car models, but NBC didn't want to pay the extra expense. The color episode, for those that don't know, was about Hazel wanting to buy a color television set. After the first season was the #4 show of the season (behind Wagon Train, Bonanza and Gunsmoke, NBC relented.

Flashgear likes this.
  19. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    Martin P., that's correct, Joe Besser was Jillson the postman in the 1st season before he became Jillson the maintenance man in the 2nd season. Joey Bishop must have liked Joe Besser because Besser was in the series for all four seasons and didn't get fired. :laugh:

Joey Bishop fired Joe Flynn, he fired Guy Marks, and I imagine he also fired John Griggs, the actor who had the role of Joey's boss in the 1st season until he vanished and Bill Bixby mysteriously appeared. I don't think Madge Blake was fired, her role as Joey's mom just wasn't needed anymore with the 2nd season format change and Abby Dalton joining the cast as Joey's wife.

Flashgear likes this.
  20. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    Good eye! CBS picked up THE JOEY BISHOP SHOW for its fourth season based on its "Danny Thomas" pedigree. THE DANNY THOMAS SHOW had packed up and left the network so the network suits saw Joey as a good replacement. Unfortunately, they scheduled it opposite the second half of BONANZA during that series' juggernaut of the ratings. After a short time on Sunday, CBS moved Joey to Tuesday night - and all along had an idea of making it similar to the successful DICK VAN DYKE SHOW.

Flashgear likes this.