1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The 13th Season of Gunsmoke due out on DVD on May 22, 2018...details following.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by rmw650, Mar 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Behind the scenes photos from the set of Gunsmoke, late '50s or early '60s...I'm looking forward to getting season 13 soon...the street date is tomorrow!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ponset, Jeff Flugel, Darby67 and 4 others like this.
  2. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I had to share those on Facebook! My ex-pastor (went to his church almost all of my life until about 3 years ago-still love him and his wife dearly) is a western fanatic. I know he'll enjoy seeing those!

Jeff Flugel, Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  3. Message #63 of 97 May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Gunsmoke on location, July 1957...
    [​IMG]

Color photo of the cast taking a break from filming...
    [​IMG]

Elizabeth MacRae waiting for a camera set up with James Arness and Ken Curtis while filming the season 8 episode, "Us Haggens", June 14, 1962...
    [​IMG]

Publicity photo for season eleven's "Bounty Hunter" (Oct. 30, 1965)...James Arness with guest star Robert Lansing...
    [​IMG]

4. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Great pictures; thanks for sharing!

Has anyone heard if a condensed package for S8-S10/S11 is forthcoming? These Walmart bundles save a ton of space.

5. GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    Season 13 arrived today and it looks beautiful, pristine even.

Keep 'em coming CBS, just a tad faster maybe. ;)

6. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    With that arrival, what do you think will be the timeframe for the whole series to be out?

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  7. GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    I wish CBS would establish a pace of say 2, maybe even 3 releases per year, and see it through to completion. It's been 20 months since the previous release. At that pace it will take more than 10 years to complete Gunsmoke. Assuming CBS even intends to complete the remaining seasons, I can't feature that pace is practical, or that it would be profitable enough. Realistically I have no clue what CBS is up to, but I am grateful to have gotten this far.

What I really wish is that the whole reason tvshowsondvd.com is down for repairs is that CBS already sent Gord Lacey the release dates for season 14 (August 2018), season 15 (November 2018) and season 16 (February 2019). CBS also informed him that each of these seasons would be 6 discs each in a single case. When Gord went to enter that info into the website it sounded so implausible that the server assumed it was being taken over by aliens and went into self-protective shutdown mode. The server is awaiting retina scans from Quint (Burt Reynolds) and Newly (Buck Taylor) before it will come back on-line.

8. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    I'm hoping they don't stall it out with no probability of resumption-- they seem to have done that w/Bonanza (neither hide nor hair of anything further)!

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  9. Dan McW

Dan McW Supporting Actor

Dan
    I just watched the first season 13 episode, "The Wreckers." It looked outstanding and ran a little over 50 minutes. Despite the great Warren Oates being the top-billed guest star, the liner notes had one Edmund Hashim as the guest star of note. Hashim received kind of a last-billing "and Edmund Hashim as" credit. Just a little nitpick on my part, as an Oates fan. As long as the episodes look great and are uncut, I'm happy.

Jeff Flugel, Flashgear and Blimpoy06 like this.
  10. Message #70 of 97 May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Something a little unconventional with the release of Gunsmoke season 13...volume one is presented as 15 episodes on 4 discs...and volume two is the latter 10 episodes on 3 discs...they've never split things up like this with previous half season volumes. And of course, the volumes are priced the same.

bmasters9 and Blimpoy06 like this.
  11. Message #71 of 97 May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    More photos of Gunsmoke on location, 1957.
    [​IMG]

Summer-Fall 1960.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

James Arness, Dennis Weaver and guest star Henry Brandon ("Scar" in The Searchers) taking a break in the shade of a props truck. Brandon is having his long hair wig detailed. Director Andrew V. Mclaglen seated on the right. Filming of the season six episode "Stolen Horses" (Apr. 8, 1961).
    [​IMG]

12. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    They did similar with the 3rd and 4th seasons' worth of Perry Mason-- the third go had 12 episodes on the first volume, and 14 on the second, and the fourth go had 16 on the first volume, and 12 on the second.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  13. John Karras

John Karras Second Unit

Lawrence
  14. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Thanks for posting Vincent McEveety's obit, Lawrence. In addition to directing Buck Taylor's introductory episode as regular cast in season 13's "The Pillagers" (John Saxon), he also directed another two season 13 episodes, "The Victim" (Beverly Garland, James Gregory), and "Nowhere to Run" (Mark Lenard). Vincent McEveety directed 45 episodes of Gunsmoke (according to IMDB). He also directed six episodes of Star Trek, including "Miri", "Dagger of the Mind", "Balance of Terror", "Patterns of Force". "Omega Glory" and "Hour of the Gun". And Five episodes of Roddenberry's precursor show The Lieutenant. He also directed 40 episodes of Simon & Simon and 28 episodes of Murder She Wrote among his numerous credits going back to 1956. He was an associate producer on the original Untouchables and directed Jimmy Stewart and Henry Fonda in the movie Firecreek. Another Television Veteran gone.

Vincent McEveety was part of a remarkable Hollywood family. His brother Bernard McEveety directed 52 episodes of Gunsmoke himself! And some of the best episodes of Combat! too. And another brother, Joseph McEveety, was a long time assistant director for Walt Disney. Among his credits are Mary Poppins, Son of Flubber, Zorro and Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color.

15. Dan McW

Dan McW Supporting Actor

Dan
    One oddity occurs in episode 3 of season 13: Roger Ewing, a season 11 and 12 regular, shows up uncredited as Thad and has a line or two. He mostly stands around in the background of some street scenes. It's his final appearance on the show.

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  16. Message #76 of 97 May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    I think it’s most likely because the people authoring the discs are doing the complete season and not taking into account the split. So when the discs are divvied up they don’t always come out very even.
    Actually it’s more likely that they are just trying to use the minimum amount of discs and still keep the count between 2-4 episodes per disc and that sometimes results in an uneven, lopsided split.

Flashgear and bmasters9 like this.
  17. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa

Yep great director

Flashgear likes this.
  18. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    was it possibly a held back season 12 show

Flashgear likes this.
  19. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    glad to hear these look great, waiting for the inevitable price drops before buying

20. Bob_S.

Bob_S. Screenwriter

I always liked Thad, I really wish they had used him more so than just a prop.

ChrisALM and Flashgear like this.