What's new

Head of the Class is finally seeing a DVD release with Season 1 coming out on 6/9/2020...details below. (1 Viewer)

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Just spotted this news from Bill Hun'ts The Digital Bits site and it proclaims the following pertaining to the sitcome Head of the Class, which is going to be making its DVD debut with Season 1 coming out on 6/9/2020...no cover art available as of yet...

"In announcement news today, Warner has revealed a pair of new June titles from the Warner Archive Collection, which are set to include Pennyworth: The Complete First Season on Blu-ray and DVD on 6/23 along with Head of the Class: The Complete First Season on DVD only on 6/9"

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Guys, now that Head of the Class is coming out, I have a few questions: Did the first season come out before? I thought it had. Second, now that Head is being released, what is the next longest WB show that is in their vaults? Murphy Brown? Chico and the Man? Remember, it has to be a somewhat long lasting series?

--James

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Guys, now that Head of the Class is coming out, I have a few questions: Did the first season come out before? I thought it had. Second, now that Head is being released, what is the next longest WB show that is in their vaults? Murphy Brown? Chico and the Man? Remember, it has to be a somewhat long lasting series?

--James

HOTC has never been released on DVD. I suspect its only due to the reboot which doesn't leave much hope for other shows in their vault without reboots or remake series.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy

--James

Season one of Murphy Brown was released on DVD over a decade ago. No word on whether or not the remaining nine seasons (ten if you count the short-lived revival last season) will be released, but there's probably good reason why the show won't sell today.

The Drew Carey Show lasted a staggering nine seasons (1995-2004), but only the first season and a six-episode "Television Favorites" sampler have been released. Allegedly, music clearance rights are the main factor.

The Hogan Family ran six seasons but is probably remembered for Valerie Harper's firing and the lawsuit that followed. I don't know how much demand there is for this show, but I have a feeling it will have a better shot being released than Drew Carey.

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
I've been told Head of the Class is HD on The Roku Channel - can anyone confirm that?

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
It's official: Head of the Class: The Complete First Season (MOD)

Love the cover art!

1000764646_aa7737bc-5c17-495f-b5ac-76581b9a69f1_2028x2048@2x.jpg

I hope S1 does well so they can release the remaining seasons.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Thank you, pointless reboot.

My thoughts exactly!

Now if only the rumoured Alfred Hitchcock Presents reboot would actually happen so that we could finally get the remaining seasons of the original series released.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Thank you, pointless reboot.

If the Archives start something, usually they finish it. So I have hope to see the entire series before 2022 is out.

Hell, maybe even the spinoff Billy.
Once the original kids started to leave (all replaced by obnoxious or arrogant characters), the series started to go downhill. The final season was unwatchable.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Always believed that a rising tide raises all boats (or something like that), hopefully, this will put some gas in the classic tv engines.
--james

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
How can they do a reboot? The original ended with the school being demolished and as has been mentioned, obnoxious replacements. Would that not be like trying to reboot little House on the prairie without walnut grove?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How can they do a reboot? The original ended with the school being demolished and as has been mentioned, obnoxious replacements

I always figure a reboot is those shitty shows that take the name and concept and nothing else and usually badly remake it like it's an original show.

Battlestar Galactica on Siffy was a rare well done reboot.

A Revival is a show that continues on later on down the line with the established characters.

So, The X-Files seasons 10 and 11 was a revival.

They're saying reboot, so I figure they're just going to do the same show over with no connection to the original at all, rastafy it by 10%, and add in some dick and fart jokes to make it palatable for some mythical modern audience that isn't going to care because young folks have never heard of the show and the old folks who watched the original don't want to watch some newfangled remake.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

--James

I thought Chico and the Man would end up with Shout! since they ended up with Welcome Back Kotter. Guess not.

The Murphy Brown reboot was a bust and the music rights issues keeping the original off DVD have not been solved. No one wants a version bereft of music.

The Hogan Family ran six seasons but is probably remembered for Valerie Harper's firing and the lawsuit that followed. I don't know how much demand there is for this show, but I have a feeling it will have a better shot being released than Drew Carey.

Warner Archives pulled out the "music rights" excuse to explain its absence rather than their firing Val because they wanted her husband, Tony Cacciotti, who was a producer during the seasons she was on when a company called TAL Productions got an in-credit notice. This implies they still own a part of it. I presume Tony inherited any rights Val had to the show and Warner doesn't want to make a deal with him any more than Lorimar-Telepictures did. I would gladly buy it though I have no interest in most of Miller-Boyett's other post-Garry Marshall works. I suppose an HD remaster like Perfect Strangers got that is now on iTunes would be too much to ask for?

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
Speculating on other shows based on this is likely doomed to disappointment. There's no doubt this is being released because of the reboot.

Someone mentioned streaming. I did see it offered on one of the free channels - I don't remember, either Crackle, IMDB or Roku, but one of them has it currently.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Speculating on other shows based on this is likely doomed to disappointment. There's no doubt this is being released because of the reboot.

Someone mentioned streaming. I did see it offered on one of the free channels - I don't remember, either Crackle, IMDB or Roku, but one of them has it currently.

It is currently on Roku. I just started season 3

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks