What's new

"The Information", Beck's new album......with a surround mix? (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
It debuts on October 2nd.

excerpt from the above:

Disc of videos eh? And maybe like Guero, they'll throw in some of those silly...what are they called again?....."5.1 surround music tracks" I've heard some people on here babble about incessantly. :D

And for the record if there is just Dolby (or DTS, please!) that will do fine (the real world has spoken and hi-res rock/pop is dead).

Miles

Second Unit
Excellent! I wasn't expecting another album from him so soon... Hopefully it'll include a DVD-A disc like Guero or release a seperate SACD like w/ Sea Changes.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil

I can't recall Universal Music releasing SACDs in the US Market for a bit. Have Sea Change on SACD and Guero on DVD-A. I'll take any hi-rez.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Universal has historically been a big supporter of SACD but their participation in terms of title releases dropped off at the end of 2005.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Can't wait for this (or the 2-disc Odelay reissue that's supposed to be coming out this year)...the cover idea is brilliant, although knowing me I'll leave everything intact and just be stuck staring at a blank cover forever. :D

Justin_P

Stunt Coordinator
God, I hope we get treated to another Beck hi-res surround sound experience.

Has anyone heard details of what's going to be on the Odelay re-issue yet? Any word on possible surround there??

J

DustinTaj

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dustin
I love Beck. I'm excited about this new release. Like most everyone here, I'm still hoping there will be some sort of hi-res issue (I don't care which format) as well.

-DD

Miles

Second Unit
Anyone know what's going on with this release? I don't want to miss out on any combo/hirez/DVD version if there's one coming out... I see Amazon has a japanese import, but it's $39.99

DustinTaj

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dustin
Not for sure, but rumor is there will not be 5.1 release at this time. Maybe in the future, but not now.

I'm HIGHLY disappointed by this. DVD-A would be awesome (SACD even better).

-DD

Miles

Second Unit
I was able to pick up the CD/DVD combo at HMV/Amazon for $12.99 CDN... but no idea what's on the DVD yet.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Got to check out this album today at a Wherehouse store. They let me check out the dvd on one of their portable players (the CD was playing over the store's P.A. system). All the main menu contained was (from memory) "Play All" and "tracks" or something like that. No audio selection menu. Playback format was 2.0 Dolby Digital (why not at least 48/16? space issues maybe?).

I watched three of the videos - trippy/artsy stuff! Lots of groovy 60s-ish psychedelic effects. But it looked like Beck let 80s videos & fashions influence them too. All in all, definitely fun to watch.

The best part though and this is based on hearing only four tracks, is that the music seems very cool. :emoji_thumbsup: I already like those songs better than what's on Guero. I will be picking this up very soon.

Both CD and dvd were embossed with their respective titles - I didn't know they could do that to a CD/dvd. It gives the otherwise plain/colorless surface an interesting and attractive look I've never seen before. Though this being a Beck album I'm not suprised.

DustinTaj

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dustin
It's $9.99 at best buy this week (usually most cd's are the first week they come out) . I'll be picking it up soon.

Although, I'm VERY disappointed there was no surround mix included.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Picked it up at Target for $12.98 which includes a code for an "exclusive" download from beck.com/target. The track is a protected WMA called Inside Out, I haven't "attacked" it yet.

First impressions: On a par with Guero, not as "wild" as Midnite Vultures; eclectic (you were expecting something else from Beck ?) that crosses a wide range of appealing sonic textures, from straight ahead E-Pro type throw down tunes all the way to spoken word spaced-out dazed and confused garage band rock.

So far, very enjoyable. Expertly produced, thanks to Nigel. Highly recommended. more to come... (from a major Beck fan).

DustinTaj

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dustin
The Best Buy CD included a free download of a protected wma called "This Girl that I know."

I'm thoroughly impressed with this CD. I think it's a lot like Guero, just a lot better too. The sonic landscape is wonderful and fun to listen to. Nigel Godrich and Bob Ludwig did a terrific job.

I am very disappointed there's not 5.1 issue, though, as it is a perfect candidate for one. But, the soundstage in 2 channel is huge and quite interesting.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I finally bought this from a local Soundwaves store ($12), and while I've only listened to it twice so far, I already like it better than Guero by a rather wide margin. After a couple more listens I'll check out the dvd.

Sometime soon I'll need to get around to using the included stickers to make my own cover art. :)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
After many many listens to The Information, I would have to say the following:

I think its on a par with Guero, which would have been even better with the inclusion of some of the Guerolito tunes like Clap Hands, et. al.
Anyway, its not overdone, seems deliberately sparse (not a word to use on Beck muzak, but compared to the wild "Midnite Vultures" and everything but the kitchen sink opus "Odelay", seems mildly appropriate) where not too much is piled and layered on every track to lose its purpose. I think the right term is "focused"; its not overproduced with too many hooks.
Tracks 1-3 are a proper start. Cellphone's Dead gets things going in a very good way (one of many stand out tracks).
Nausea, although short, is downright fun especially with the Martin Denny-esque howls.
I love the contrast in the tracks. To go from Nausea to the spacey Dark Star then back to his folksy roots in No Complaints displays Beck's appeal and mastery at its finest. 1000BPM sounds like a leftover Guero tune, not a bad thing, just doesnt really fit. Track 13, The Information could easily be the end track, cuz Movie Theme and the last track are so out there.

There is probably many who are turned off by Beck's turns. I doubt many can stand Midnite Vultures and switch gears to Sea Change, Odelay to Mutations. I consider myself to be the lucky one. All his music appeals to me. Vultures is wacked out party album madness, Sea Change is wistful beauty, Odelay is a classic, I enjoy Guero and a lot of his harder to find B Sides and my favorite is Mutations. I think mostly because its so unique and well crafted, I mean, the guy is a musical star. you may not like his music, but you should at least recognize the effort. For example, RUSH, a band I never particularly liked, for all my years of hearing them, but I do admit they are musical geniuses/virtuosos etc. Its just their songs dont appeal to me that much. I dont dislike them; just not my cup of tea, you know...and I drink coffee so there you go.

Beck's psychedelic country blues or psychedelic folk fits perfectly for my ears.

Feather in your Cap, Deadweight, Halo of Gold are all great harder to find tracks (actually they are on the Stray Blues B Side collection)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks