What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Jay Ferguson, "Pictures of You" - Don't care for this at all. Like the other I couldn't have told you I've heard it just from watching the movie. I also pay little attention to most of the incidental music in movies.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Spirit, "Mr. Skin" - Don't particularly care for this one. It has a definite 60s vibe going for it, as it should having been released in the early 70s.

I know Spirit mostly for "I Got A Line on You" (a song I really like):

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Jo Jo Gunne, "Babylon" - This is OK but nothing special.

I know these guys from "Run, Run, Run" (from the same album as "Babylon"):

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Jay Ferguson, "Thunder Island" - And this one I *do* know and like. Very nice song. I'm not sure I could have told you the performer's name before now though. I need to see if I own a copy...

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
One of my favorite bands is Heart and even they succumbed to that generic 80s sound.

Back in the day, I thought that generic 80s "overproduced" sound was the audio equivalent of "velveeta cheese". If I had to guess, it sounded like the producers/engineers were having too much fun playing with all that then-new digital audio processing equipment their studios had purchased.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Going slightly offtopic, back in the day I use to be a rock musician type.

I remember coming across other guitar players who purchased a lot of outboard digital processing equipment which was all rack mounted together. I thought it all sounded like a huge heavily layered mess, like mud upon mud. Sometimes I couldn't even clearly figure out what notes were being played at first.

I preferred a basic guitar stack setup with no additional processing beyond the generic distortion on the amplifier. At least it was easier to hear what notes were being played.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Speaking of Heart, a very overproduced version of Barracuda featuring Nancy Wilson + Alice in Chains with Gretchen Wilson singing. A very guitar heavy sound.

Doesn't sound anything like the original version.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Herb Alpert
"A Taste of Honey"
I actually like this one. Kind of Jazz meets Big Band.

"The Lonely Bull":
This one's familiar. Must have been used for a movie, TV show, etc. Very smooth little track.

"Tijuana Taxi":
This is the one I thought was a theme song. I know Spanish Flea was but what about this one? Cool, if not formulaic sound.

Heart
"What About Love":
I've always liked this track. Kind of a guilty pleasure so don't tell anyone. ;)

"Alone"
Same basic style as What About Love but for some reason this one never resonated with me. Probably a little too much on the mushy side. Nice vocals though.

Simon & Garfunkle - "El Cóndor Pasa (If I Could)":
Aside from Mrs. Robinson I've never cared for these guys material much. This one is no exception.

Gretchen Wilson & Alice in Chains - Barracuda
"Guitar heavy" is right. Everything is just loud and overdone here for my taste. Pass.

Spirit - I Got a Line On You
I like the beat and feel. Vocals are pretty decent too. Like a lot of songs, it's lyrically deficient but who cares with this instrumentation.

JoJo Gunne - Run, Run, Run"
Just like the previous track, this has such a cool beat and feel that I'm able to forgive it's near complete lack of lyrical content. Nice little song.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
More classic songs which became "overproduced" with heavier guitars, via then-better technology even by the original artists.

Leslie West / Mountain - Mississippi Queen

Tommy James - I Think We're Alone Now

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Slayer - Inna Gadda Da Vida - I didnt not like it. The chainsaw like guitar solo was cool, and I dont mind the vocals. But it was too slow for a slayer song.

I really like their two blood albums that bookended their career: Reign in Blood and World Painted Blood. Ive sampled some of their albums released between these two and most of it sounds like Inna Gadda Davida, just great vocals and guitars searching for a better song.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
A record album I use to listen to over and over again back in the day. Ironically, most of my friends in those days really hated this album. Largely another long forgotten european hard rock band: Fate "A Matter of Attitude".

"Point of No Return"

"I Can't Stand Losing You"

Fate
Pont of No Return

This was Ok, it didn't really do anything for me, but I didn't mind it playing. Probably would not change it if it was playing on the radio.

I Can't Stand Losing You
I liked this track much better, and that is why I love this thread for one of the main reasons being discovery of music I have never heard.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Herb Alpert makes me think of a couple tracks from Sam Phillips's album Omnipop, which was...a departure and didn't get widespread critical acclaim like her previous albums. But I appreciated it for its obvious nods to '60s pop culture like Herb Alpert and James Bond.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Whoa - Dennis Miller was young once, wasn't he? For me this is just one of those overly loud songs that is difficult to listen to. I do like the drumming but it's hard to tolerate the guitar.

This just sounds like standard fare easy listening Rock to me. I don't find the guitar at all distracting in this case.

Slayer
Raining Blood

The title seems appropriate. I can respect this as a class in drumming and guitar work but aside from that just don't get it.

Hate Worldwide
Pretty much the same as above although, in this case, the drumming does stand out on its own.

Wikipedia call these guys "Thrash Rock." I would have called them Punk.

Sam Phillips
Zero Zero Zero

Strange combination of music and vocals. I almost thought I was about to hear a Western until the vocals and horns started. Pleasant if odd track.

Slapstick Heart
It's OK but not really memorable. Her voice seems a bit limited in range or is that just the style she chose for these songs.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Heart

What About Love - the vocals slightly elevate rhis over other 80s dreck, but not by much. I remember when this album came out it was touted as their triumphant return. But its still hard to believe this is the same band that gave us Heartless and Straight on.

As an aside, that scream as the video is fading out always makes me laugh. I cant tell if she's having an orgasm or being goosed.

Alone - See above. A generic 80s power ballad, somewhat saved by the vocals.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
This just sounds like standard fare easy listening Rock to me. I don't find the guitar at all distracting in this case.

The guitar in the original verison is almost nonexistant. (Mostly sounds like just the bass playing).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Whoa - Dennis Miller was young once, wasn't he? For me this is just one of those overly loud songs that is difficult to listen to. I do like the drumming but it's hard to tolerate the guitar.

The guitar in the original version is less distorted with better defined clearer notes.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Sam Phillips

Zero Zero Zero -
I was thinking I wasnt going to like this, but that Hawaiian guitar lick sucked me in, followed by those horns. Just a fun, happy song. And the vocals were brief and didnt get in the way.

To second Bob's thoughts, this is why I enjoy this thread.

Slapstick Heart - unfortunately this is everything I was dreading from this artist. Just a rather monotonous beat with those slow vocals. Not my cup of tea.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Fate

Point of no Return
- This was just odd to me. The vocals didnt seem to match the music, and the music sounded like a generic licensed music bed repeating itself. I did like the guitar solo though.

I Cant Stand Losing You - far better song. I liked the vocals, and the music sounded like an actual conceived song, though the keyboards throughout do age the song.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks