What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
For example, such as a club/dance version of "California Dreamin" by DJ Sammy from 2002.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Kristine W - Barracuda - I tried, but all I hear is that drum machine repeating the same two beats over and over again. And her voice didnt sound quite natural, it sounded like she was trying too hard to be Cher.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Slayer - Inna Gadda Da Vida - I didnt not like it. The chainsaw like guitar solo was cool, and I dont mind the vocals. But it was too slow for a slayer song.

I really like their two blood albums that bookended their career: Reign in Blood and World Painted Blood. Ive sampled some of their albums released between these two and most of it sounds like Inna Gadda Davida, just great vocals and guitars searching for a better song.

This a weird sounding piano verison of "Raining Blood".

It sounds almost like music from a video game or horror movie.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
DJ Sammy - California Dreamin' - still not my kind of music, but I can appreciate the more complex beat, compared to Barracuda. And the vocals were nice. And I agree a great song is a great song and can transcend genres. Wich is why, even though its not something I would add to my library for repeated listens, I still kind of liked this.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The guitar in the original verison is almost nonexistant. (Mostly sounds like just the bass playing).

You're right and it makes a huge difference. I find this one infinitely more enjoyable. I even remember hearing it back in the day but perhaps another version.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Tiffany made "I Think We're Alone Now" into a big hit back in the late 1980s.

These are "OK" but her voice and the overbearing music are a bit much for an easy listening song like this. I much prefer the Tommy James original.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
This a weird sounding piano verison of "Raining Blood".

It sounds almost like music from a video game or horror movie.

I find this musically as uninteresting as the original however watching someone hammer it out on a keyboard was pretty cool.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
For example, such as a club/dance version of "California Dreamin" by DJ Sammy from 2002.

Sorry but this is one of those songs that should just be left alone as it cannot be improved upon. I get trying to adapt something for a new audience though. Just the old man in me coming out. :)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
So Long Cowboy from the "Point Break" movie soundtrack.

Thanks for sharing this. I don't remember the song from the film as it's been many years. It's pretty decent for what I would call contemporary Country. Seeing the video presentation brought back memories of Swayze's untimely death. So very sad...

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Tahnee Cain Tryanglz, "Photoplay" - This has a bit of a Pat Benatar type sound but not quite as hard hitting.

Tahnee Cain Tryanglz, "Burnin' in the Third Degree" - This one sounds like a lesser clone of "Photoplay" with the same beat and drum track. It's even in the same key. Were they sequed I'd not be able to tell you when one ended and the next started.

Tahnee Cain Tryanglz, "You Can't Do That" - And it's in the same key as the first two. It tries hard but just doesn't have anything to make it stand out. When it comes right down to it all three of these tracks are quite similar sounding.

Tahnee Cain Tryanglz, "Lifeline" - More of the same. Pretty indistinguishable from the others. It appears that this is why the album never saw release as it all pretty much sounds the same.

On an off-the-cuff auditory inspection, I'm guessing these Tryanglz songs sound like they are in a key of C major.

IIRC, songs with a lazy or inexperienced keyboard/piano player are frequently written in C major. Basically where they don't have to hit any of the black keys.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Slayer
Raining Blood

The title seems appropriate. I can respect this as a class in drumming and guitar work but aside from that just don't get it.
They've got some cool songs (Raining Blood is one of them) but generally speaking, Slayer is too much for me. And even though it's not my thing and like you alluded to, I think what makes Slayer good and differentiates them from the many lousy heavy metal bands is that they're excellent at playing their instruments.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Slayer - Inna Gadda Da Vida - I didnt not like it. The chainsaw like guitar solo was cool, and I dont mind the vocals. But it was too slow for a slayer song.

They've got some cool songs (Raining Blood is one of them) but generally speaking, Slayer is too much for me. And even though it's not my thing and like you alluded to, I think what makes Slayer good and differentiates them from the many lousy heavy metal bands is that they're excellent at playing their instruments.

I never really got heavily into stuff like Slayer.

I only ever really listened to them, for transcribing guitar solos and some of the rhythm (such as the iconic riff in the non-speed part of "angel of death").

In those days, I was wondering how hard their guitar solos were which was obscured by the fast paced blur-like sound. It turned out they were not too difficult, but not trivially easy either.

In a more general sense, it was a great way to cut my teeth on transcribing fast "chainsaw" type guitar riffs/solos by ear which were not too difficult.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Nancy Wilson, Alice in Chains, Gretchen Wilson, "Baracuda" - That was really nice. Gretchen Wilson did it justice and AiC played very well. I'd like to have a studio recording from this grouping of this song. And I disagree - IMHO it sounds quite a bit like the original version.

Gretchen also did an album called "Under the Covers" on which she did some excellent rock covers that are even more impressive when you consider she's primarily a country act.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Leslie West / Mountain, "Mississippi Queen" - So here's the thing... when you have a massive hit like this song and play it night after night after night after night for decades you pretty much have to change it up a bit to keep your sanity - and they did a bit of "Nantucket Sleighride" at the end. I'm generally OK with that - BUT I much prefer the original studio recording and early live versions (which sound more like the studio recording). IIRC I posted the original version of this one some time back... Observation having nothing to do with the song - Leslie West has lost quite a bit of weight...

Tommy James, "I Think We're Alone Now" - See above comments about repetitious playing of your hits in concert. They also slowed it down a bit. I very much prefer the original studio recording of this one.

Tommy James & The Shondells - "I Think We're Alone Now" (and I discovered Jr had already posted a version so ignore if you wish):

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Slayer, "Raining Blood" - Ahhh... that sub genre I call "speed metal" - Nope, don't like this at all. Yelling/screaming instead of really singing with everyone mostly trying to play as fast as they can coupled with disjointed bits and pieces that never coalesce into anything coherent.

Slayer, "Hate Worldwide" - See above comments as they fully apply here as well.

Based on the three selections posted so far, I can safely say I don't care for this band at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks