What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
– Miles Surrey, The Ringer

A picture containing text, newspaper  Description automatically generated

Unlock Alternate Realities When Marvel Studios’ DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS Arrives on Digital June 22
and 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™ and DVD July 26

BURBANK,CA (June 9, 2022) – Described as a “psychedelic mind-flip masterpiece” (Larry Carroll, Looper) Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness has enthralled audiences and critics around the world. Sam Raimi’s exuberant film is a global phenomenon and “undoubtedly mesmerizing” (Jenna Anderson, ComicBook.com).

Witness the mind-bending alternate realities of the multiverse when Marvel Studios’ Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness debuts on all major digital platforms June 22 and on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD on July 26. Embrace the madness by adding the latest MCU film to your Marvel movie collection. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness will also stream on Disney+.

Film Synopsis

Journey into the unknown in Marvel Studios’ Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. When the MCU unlocks the Multiverse, Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) must enlist help from old and new allies as he traverses mind-bending and dangerous alternate realities in order to confront a surprising adversary.

Bonus Features*

Featurettes

• Method to the Madness - Join various crew members and Marvel employees in interviews as they discuss their love of Sam Raimi and all the details of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness that make it quintessentially Raimi.
  • Introducing America Chavez - In this short and fun profile piece, we’ll learn about America’s humble beginnings in the comics. We’ll meet Xochitl Gomez and discuss the complications her character's unique power presents for the future of the MCU.
  • Constructing the Multiverse - Writing a feature film for Marvel is no easy task. In this playful yet informative featurette, we’ll dive into the challenges that writer Michael Waldron faced in creating the twisting and turning story of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.
Bloopers

• Gag Reel - Take a look at some of the fun outtakes on set with the cast and crew of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.
Deleted Scenes

• A Great Team - A journalist questions Doctor Strange's integrity.
  • Pizza Poppa - Bruce is relieved when Doctor Strange's spell ends.
  • It's Not Permanent - Bruce tries to accuse Doctor Strange of being an imposter.
Audio Commentary

• View the film with audio commentary by Sam Raimi, Richie Palmer, and Michael Waldron.

*bonus features vary by product and retailer

Cast

Benedict Cumberbatch
as Doctor Stephen Strange

Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff / The Scarlet Witch

Chiwetel Ejiofor as Baron Mordo

Benedict Wong as Wong

Xochitl Gomez as America Chavez

Rachel McAdams as Dr. Christine Palmer

Directed by

Sam Raimi

Produced by

Kevin Feige p.g.a

Co-Producers

Mitchell Bell

Richie Palmer

Executive Producers

Victoria Alonso

Eric Hauserman Carroll

Jamie Christopher

Louis D’Esposito

Scott Derrickson

Written by

Michael Waldron

Music by

Danny Elfman

Product Specifications

Street Date

Digital: June 22

Physical: July 26

Product SKUs

Digital: 4K UHD, HD, SD

Physical: 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack (4K UHD + Blu-ray + Digital Code), Blu-ray Combo Pack (Blu-ray + Digital Code) & DVD

Feature Run Time

Approx. 126 minutes

Rating

U.S. Rated PG-13

Aspect Ratio

Digital: 2:39

Physical: 2:39:1

U.S. Audio

4K Ultra HD: English 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos, English AD 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus

Blu-ray: English 7.1 DTS-HDMA, English AD 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital

DVD: English 5.1 Dolby, English AD 2.0 Dolby, French 5.1 Dolby, Spanish 5.1 Dolby

Digital: English Dolby Atmos (UHD only, some platforms), English 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital (some platforms)

U.S. Subtitles

4K Ultra HD: English SDH, Spanish, French

Blu-ray: English SDH, Spanish, French

DVD: English SDH, Spanish, French

Digital: English SDH, French, Spanish (some platforms)

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I really enjoyed this one and will be picking it up, but I'll be the first to admit that without Raimi providing his visual panache and narrative propulsion, it would be a complete mess.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Here is the cover for the standard Blu-ray-only edition without 4K:
317420_front.jpg

Interesting that Disney is apparently going to use a red keepcase again. Black Widow was supposed to be In red last year. I guess some people got it in red. But my local store only had it in standard blue, so that's what I got.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
No IMAX framing either. I used to buy these movies without fail, but the IMAX framing being exclusive to Disney+ means I just stream them there instead.
First movie I saw since Emma. when the pandemic erupted. I went to an IMAX 3D screening to support the format that IMAX had killed in the USA. I could have seen much better movies but IMAX 3D has to be supported.
Haven't been back to see anything else.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Glad to see this has an audio commentary (unlike Warner’s recent The Batman) and deleted scenes. If they included a trailer I’d be really happy!

I was looking at The-Numbers.com recently, and studios still make a lot of money from disc sales. Black Widow had more than $20 million in disc sales, as did Spider-Man NWH. Endgame had more than $100 million in disc sales. You’d think they’d want to make more of these and sell the Disney+ shows as well. (Yes, yes, I know the argument that they want exclusivity on the service; it’s hogwash. HBO sold The Sopranos and Game of Thrones at the peaks of DVD and blu-ray and their subscribers went up.)

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
This one really need a blu-ray 3D release somewhere in the world so we can buy it. To bad this wasn't a Warner release as we would probably get it in 3D as they care about their customers more than Disney.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
I would imagine it will have a typical Atmouse mix that will squeak instead of roar with the high probability of a locked track rather than scalable with 3D objects.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Glad to see this has an audio commentary (unlike Warner’s recent The Batman)
The Batman did have commentary. WB decided to make it exclusive to iTunes, but it exists. I totally agree thts is annoying and it should be on the disc. But at least it exists.

I was looking at The-Numbers.com recently, and studios still make a lot of money from disc sales. Black Widow
had more than $20 million in disc sales, as did Spider-Man NWH.
I doubt that Disney considers $20 million from disc sales "a lot of money" in comparison to the amount of money that they earn from other sources. They'll take it, of course. But a MCU movie often makes that much in the course of a few hours on opening day.

But if you buy a disc, you pay Disney once and you're done. The movie is yours (except in the unlikely event that the disc gets damaged.) If you access the same movie on Disney+, you've got to maintain a subscription to access it, which means they get money from you on a recurring basis. So it is to Disney's advantage if you subscribe. I love physical media as much as anyone here, but it isn't hard to understand their logic.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As with the past several Marvel titles, the only 3D option appears in the 4K MovieNEX combo pack in Japan, if you're willing to pay the price. The pre-order links currently show only discs bundled with some swag which adds to the price. Hopefully there will be a movie-only version at a lower price as we get closer to the release.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0B3VCS6DT/ref=tmm_frk_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&amp&qid=&amp&sr=

I grouped three Marvel titles together the last time I ordered (Black Widow, Shang-Chi, and Eternals) and it worked out to about $60 each, shipped. A single title shipped may be slightly more.

As these are aimed at the Japan market, there may also be issues with on-screen subtitles if there are any foreign-language scenes. For Black Widow and Shang-Chi, you had to enable full English subtitles in order to see the English subtitles for foreign language scenes. These did not appear automatically for those specific scenes as they would in a US theater or on a US disc.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As these are aimed at the Japan market, there may also be issues with on-screen subtitles if there are any foreign-language scenes.
I only saw the film once back on opening night, so I wouldn't swear to this because I may be misremembering. But I don't recall any foreign language In this particular film.

On another note, I'm bumping this thread because I noticed Target and Amazon are showing this artwork for the standard Blu-ray with a blue keepcase.

Multiverse of Madness.jpg
Best Buy's website displays the same product with the red keepcase that I posted back on June 9 in post #3. It will be interesting to see what shows up in stores. Last year, the only artwork I found online for Black Widow indicated the keepcase would be red. But my closest store only had it in blue, so that is what I got, even though I know other people who got it in red. I guess Disney will be shipping some copies in red and some in blue and it will just depend on what each store happens to randomly receive. There doesn't seem to be anywhere that you can pre-order a specific case color. Obviously, this variance only affects the standard Blu-ray version because the 4K edition is likely to be black.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
But if you buy a disc, you pay Disney once and you're done. The movie is yours (except in the unlikely event that the disc gets damaged.) If you access the same movie on Disney+, you've got to maintain a subscription to access it, which means they get money from you on a recurring basis. So it is to Disney's advantage if you subscribe. I love physical media as much as anyone here, but it isn't hard to understand their logic.
Making a disc available for people like me won't stop others from subscribing to Disney+, but not making a disc available doesn't make me want to subscribe to Disney+, so I don't see how having a film available on streaming and disc hurts Disney's bottom line.
---------------

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't see how having a film available on streaming and disc hurts Disney's bottom line.
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is available on streaming and, as we know, will be on physical media next week. So I'm not really sure what your argument has to do with this particular title.

With titles that are designed specifically to appear on the streaming service, Disney has made the calculation that more people will subscribe if they are exclusive. They care more about the subscribers they will gain from having those titles be exclusive than the money they would get from your disc purchase.

I love physical media. That's why I enjoy hanging around this board. I think most people around here feel the same way. But there is no question that physical media is in a state of decline and Disney simply does not care about that shrinking revenue stream as much as they once did back when it was larger. They are seeing the majority of the audience shift to streaming and therefore have adjusted their business model accordingly.

On another note, it feels weird to quote myself, but I'm going to as I have an update.

Best Buy's website displays the same product with the red keepcase that I posted back on June 9 in post #3.
Sometime between last Saturday when I wrote this and now, Best Buy swapped out the cover art on their website to now show the standard blue keepcase instead of the red one. I'll be curious to see what can be found in stores next week.

Last edited:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Nope.
I don't want to speak for Dan, but it's almost a certainty that this has a "locked" Atmos track. It's actually extremely common across the entire medium, but Disney is the biggest culprit. They shooting 0% as far as I know.

What "locked" means is that the track doesn't actually assign objects to channels and does actually move objects around. The track is locked to 7.x.4. If you have a 7.x.6 system, for example, the middle height speakers are not discrete but instead are either playing information matrixed from the front and rear heights, or not playing at all. If you have a 7.x.8 or higher the problem is further exacerbated.

Basically, Disney "cheats" the object-based nature of Atmos and flattens the objects into the audio track being played through four height speakers. So it sounds like you are hearing objects move between the height speakers, but really it's not technically discrete object-based sound.

If you have a Trinnov this is easily provable and is inarguable.

I haven't yet received my copy of the physical disc, but it's pretty much a sure bet it has a locked Atmos track.

@JohnRice and I have discussed this a few times in the hardware sections of the forum. There are other drawbacks to a locked track, but this is a high level summary.

That all said, if you have a 7.x.2 or 7.x.4 system, you likely won't notice that the Atmos track is locked (though almost without fail unlocked "true" Atmos tracks have better sound overall).

Still looking forward to this, though!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't want to speak for Dan, but it's almost a certainty that this has a "locked" Atmos track. It's actually extremely common across the entire medium, but Disney is the biggest culprit. They shooting 0% as far as I know.

What "locked" means is that the track doesn't actually assign objects to channels and does actually move objects around. The track is locked to 7.x.4. If you have a 7.x.6 system, for example, the middle height speakers are not discrete but instead are either playing information matrixed from the front and rear heights, or not playing at all. If you have a 7.x.8 or higher the problem is further exacerbated.

Basically, Disney "cheats" the object-based nature of Atmos and flattens the objects into the audio track being played through four height speakers. So it sounds like you are hearing objects move between the height speakers, but really it's not technically discrete object-based sound.

If you have a Trinnov this is easily provable and is inarguable.

I haven't yet received my copy of the physical disc, but it's pretty much a sure bet it has a locked Atmos track.

@JohnRice and I have discussed this a few times in the hardware sections of the forum. There are other drawbacks to a locked track, but this is a high level summary.

That all said, if you have a 7.x.2 or 7.x.4 system, you likely won't notice that the Atmos track is locked (though almost without fail unlocked "true" Atmos tracks have better sound overall).

Still looking forward to this, though!
Well, Dave Upton enlightened me on this issue. (thanks Dave) I sort of disagree with the term "Locked". Home Atmos is limited to 16 "objects". I believe theatrical Atmos is 128 objects. By default, on all Atmos soundtracks, 12 of those 16 objects are dedicated to the 12 (7.1.4) "Bed" channels. Meaning, 12 of those 16 objects (channels) are always "locked" to the basic 7.1.4 speakers and sound moves between them essentially the same way it always has in 5.1 and 7.1 soundtracks. So, it's not accurate to say that Disney "locks" those channels, because all home Atmos soundtracks do the same thing. Disney just has decided to do all the surround steering in the studio, using only 12 of the 16 available objects. Those additional 4 objects are available for additional sounds which aren't anchored to any of the 12 bed channels and move around using every speaker in your system.

So, you have a 7.1.6 or 9.1.4 or 9.1.6 (etc.) setup? Well, the extra pair(s) of side and overhead speakers don't have corresponding "Bed" channels, so they will rarely (and sometimes never) produce any sound. They will only produce sound when one of the additional 4 objects has something that passes through their area of the theater. That is, unless you engage processing to matrix in the extra set(s) of speakers from the adjacent bed channels. Since Disney doesn't use the additional 4 objects, you won't get sound from those extra speakers without matrixing. Anyone who is planning to build a system beyond the standard 7.1.4 really should know this, but most don't.

Topic of discussion @Sam Posten ?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Well, Dave Upton enlightened me on this issue. (thanks Dave) I sort of disagree with the term "Locked". Home Atmos is limited to 16 "objects". I believe theatrical Atmos is 128 objects. By default, on all Atmos soundtracks, 12 of those 16 objects are dedicated to the 12 (7.1.4) "Bed" channels. Meaning, 12 of those 16 objects (channels) are always "locked" to the basic 7.1.4 speakers and sound moves between them essentially the same way it always has in 5.1 and 7.1 soundtracks. So, it's not accurate to say that Disney "locks" those channels, because all home Atmos soundtracks do the same thing. Disney just has decided to do all the surround steering in the studio, using only 12 of the 16 available objects. Those additional 4 objects are available for additional sounds which aren't anchored to any of the 12 bed channels and move around using every speaker in your system.

This isn't quite correct.

Home theatre Atmos can support 35 channels, in a maximized configuration of 24.1.10 (and really the LFE channel is infinitely expandable). Source: https://professional.dolby.com/siteassets/tv/home/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-for-home-theater.pdf (quote: "Dolby Atmos can support home theater systems with up to 34 speakers in a 24.1.10 configuration: 24
speakers on the floor and 10 overhead speakers.) (Dolby itself unhelpfully confuses its own use of speakers, channels, objects, and layers). Of course, very few processors support this (baiscally just the Trinnov, Storm, etc.).

Beyond this, Disney is one of a few companies (and by far the biggest offender) of what you succinctly describe as "surround steering in the studio". Moreover, Disney doesn't actually use the 4 additional "un-anchored" objects. Other companies do, but Disney does not. They put out a 7.x.4 track that is completely un-scaleable and doesn't actually use object-based audio. I call that "locked" and feel it's a fair term.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks