What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Oddly enough, the banjo playing the arpeggio lines actually fits right in and works well.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
A bluegrass style cover of blue oyster cult's "Don't Fear The Reaper".

Excellent harmonizing, arguably on par with the original and it's about time the actual "Reaper" received his due.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Oh man this brings me way back. I loved this song in 1997, and honestly this is the first time I listened to it since then. Youtube is awesome!!!

Travis - All I Wanna Do Is Rock

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Soul Asylum - Runaway Train

This brings back memories of the early 1990s when this song was played repeatedly on music channels/shows.

Another Soul Asylum song from that time period, which wasn't overplayed as much is "Somebody to Shove".

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Papa Roach - Leave A Light On
Strong vocals. This one has a very personal feel, as if it was written for a very specific circumstance or person. I'd bet there's a backstory. Nice in it's own way.

Metric - Help I'm Alive
Nice, fun, beat caught my attention immediately. I couldn't make much of the lyrics but who cares!

Soul Asylum - Runaway Train
Nice, easy-listening tune with a strong vocalist to boot. The rather dire subject matter is almost lost, as the track just feels good to listen to.

Travis - All I Wanna Do Is Rock
Interesting... The title had me expecting something much heavier. This seems rather bland and basic. Not for me.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
This brings back memories of the early 1990s when this song was played repeatedly on music channels/shows.

Another Soul Asylum song from that time period, which wasn't overplayed as much is "Somebody to Shove".

Soul Asylum - Somebody to Shove.
Yeah, that was the other hit from them I really liked. Love the guitar on this one!

I know Soul Asylum isn't a one hit wonder (or two hit for that matter) but man, I tried liking them. I even bought their album, and these two songs are the only ones I cared about.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Beck - Jackass
What genre would we assign to "Beck?" It seems to sit between modern Country and Soft Rock. Either way, I prefer the upbeat musical track to whatever is actually being said.

Where It's At
I've heard this one before. I see it more or less the same as "Jackass." Some really cool music and production in this case but sort of wasted on throwaway lyrics.

Then there's this. Coincidence???

Devil's Haircut
So this seems to be Beck's shtick. Sort of a more contemporary and light version of The Grateful Dead, I suppose. I don't really get it but the tracks are quite listenable aside from the lyrics.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Beck - Jackass
What genre would we assign to "Beck?" It seems to sit between modern Country and Soft Rock. Either way, I prefer the upbeat musical track to whatever is actually being said.

Where It's At
I've heard this one before. I see it more or less the same as "Jackass." Some really cool music and production in this case but sort of wasted on throwaway lyrics.

Then there's this. Coincidence???

Devil's Haircut
So this seems to be Beck's shtick. Sort of a more contemporary and light version of The Grateful Dead, I suppose. I don't really get it but the tracks are quite listenable aside from the lyrics.
Genre is something that really doesn't fit him I think. LOL!
All I remember is that I bought the 'Odelay' album in the (mid?) 90's, and it was a very enjoyable record. I was really impressed. A lot of music from that time I just sort of filed away not to revisit for a long time. In fact the songs I posted are the first I've probably listened to them entirely since then. Nonsensical, but agreeable lyrics, very catchy hooks, and music. I'd describe his music as a Gen X explosion of pop culture gone crazy. With some good music behind it.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Genre is something that really doesn't fit him I think. LOL!
All I remember is that I bought the 'Odelay' album in the (mid?) 90's, and it was a very enjoyable record. I was really impressed. A lot of music from that time I just sort of filed away not to revisit for a long time. In fact the songs I posted are the first I've probably listened to them entirely since then. Nonsensical, but agreeable lyrics, very catchy hooks, and music. I'd describe his music as a Gen X explosion of pop culture gone crazy. With some good music behind it.
Yea, great point. So much of our "take" on music depends on where we were in our life journey when we first encountered it. I learn a lot when people take the time to share, as you have here.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
A symphonic heavy metal band from China, doing a cover of a theme song from an early 1990s wuxia movie "The Swordsman".

The band's english name is something like "Mysterain", while the song title is something like "A Laughter In The Vast Sea" (approximately translated to english).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've been listening to some older stuff lately and rediscovered this rather unusual "mash up" from Ides of March (mostly known for the song Vehicle):

Ides of March - "Wooden Ships/Dharma for One":

"Wooden Ships" was written and composed by David Crosby, Paul Kantner, and Stephen Stills. Versions were recorded both by Crosby, Stills & Nash (appeared on the album "Crosby, Stills & Nash") and by Kantner with Jefferson Airplane (appearing on Volunteers). Interestingly, both groups performed the song at Woodstock during their respective sets. I wasn't much of a Jefferson Airplane fan in those years, concentrating mostly on their singles, so had no idea they'd recorded the song themselves until years later. It's one of the first songs I learned from the "CS&N" release and to this day is a staple of my guitar playing/singing.

"Dharma for One," a staple of early Jethro Tull concerts, was written and composed by Ian Anderson and Clive Bunker. It first appeared on the Jethro Tull album "This Was" as a instrumental recording and later on "Living in the Past" as a live rendition with vocals. FWIW - the "Living in the Past" compilation (2 discs in 1972) was the 2nd Jethro Tull album added to my collection. The first was "Aqualung."

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I've been listening to some older stuff lately and rediscovered this rather unusual "mash up" from Ides of March (mostly known for the song Vehicle):

Interestingly, both groups performed the song at Woodstock during their respective sets. I wasn't much of a Jefferson Airplane fan in those years, concentrating mostly on their singles, so had no idea they'd recorded the song themselves until years later.

A similar parallel are the songs Metallica "The Four Horsemen" and Megadeth "Mechanix". Mustine was credited as the songwriter on both versions.

Metallica - The Four Horsemen

Megadeth - Mechanix

The first officially recorded version was "The Mechanics" on the Metallica 1982 demo "No Life Till Leather".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks