What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (6 Viewers)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
A few of my favorite old school club jams

Nu Shooz was formed in Portland Oergon in the early 1980's and had a couple of notable dance hits.

Nu Shooz :​

I Can't Wait​

Point Of No Return​

Loose Ends was formed in London in 1980. They had several hit songs. Here are a couple of my favorites.

Loose Ends:​

Hanging On A String​

Slow Down​

Nu Shooz

'I Can't Wait' is probably the more popular of the two tracks you've selected, and I like it, but 'Point of No Return' is my favorite. Brings me back to the 80's.

Loose Ends

'Hanging on a String' is a nice mellow jam. I like it a lot.

'Slow Down' Now that is what I'm talking about. I love the vocals, and music, and tempo. Very nice.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Beastie Boys - Alive - I think this is the least interesting Beastie Boys song ive ever heard. The beat under the rap was really generic, the lyrics lacked humor or attitude and had that annoying cadence of emphasizing the last word of every sentence. But maybe that was the point, i.e. the fatboy slim-esque reminder that the boys are bringing back that old new york rap.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Beastie Boys - Alive
I love the beat and groove. I've also always loved the Beastie Boys individual voices. That said, this represents a more mature and tempered version of the boys than I grew up with in the 80's. I preferred their earlier work such as these, but I do realize maturity is a part of any legitimate groups journey.

Beastie Boys - She's Crafty​

Beastie Boys-Paul Revere (with lyrics)​

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Here are a few more tracks from King Crimson. This time, the more mellow side...

King Crimson - "I Talk to the Wind":

King Crimson - "Book of Saturday"

King Crimson - "The Night Watch":

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
King Crimson
"I Talk to the Wind"

Mellow is right. Perhaps a bit too much so but I can appreciate this for what it is and I do enjoy the introspective theme and melodic vocals, although 6 minutes is a bit long for this type of track.

"Book of Saturday"
I found this one uninteresting. I don't think it was intended to be. Seems like one of those highly personal songs you'd need some perspective to appreciate.

"The Night Watch":
I could have done without the 90 second buildup as it didn't seem to add anything to the song. Aside from that, I listened a few times looking for a message in the lyrics but found none.

All in all this is a group whose purpose I don't quite understand based on these songs anyway.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Beastie Boys, "Alive" - Yeah... this one has that annoying and generic habit of emphasis on the ending, rhyming, word of a cadence. I was absolutely bored with this one by the 2 minute mark and it went on for another grueling 2 minutes...

Beastie Boys, "She's Crafty" - They sample a riff from Zeppelin and don't even take advantage of the song. The song did nothing for me and was just another repetitious effort from them.

Beastie Boys, "Paul Revere" - Whew! This was another slog to get through. Trite lyrics (thanks to whoever transcribed them though) and little in the way of a rhythm track.

FWIW - Here's the Zeppelin track from which they borrowed the riff...

Led Zeppelin - "The Ocean":

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
FWIW - Here's the Zeppelin track from which they borrowed the riff...

Led Zeppelin - "The Ocean":

This is a pretty cool track and it holds up exceptionally well. I had no idea Led Zeppelin had such range.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Beastie Boys, "Paul Revere" - Whew! This was another slog to get through. Trite lyrics (thanks to whoever transcribed them though) and little in the way of a rhythm track.
LOL - I knew you would prefer that version.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
First day of summer! These songs make me think summer....

Hugh Masekela - Grazing in the Grass

Herb Alpert - Route 101

Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66 - Mas Que Nada (with bonus Eartha Kitt)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Hugh Masekela, "Grazing in the Grass" - I've always liked this one and that cowbell has always annoyed me... :D

Herb Alpert, "Route 101" - I don't recall ever hearing this one before. It's OK and has a kind of "driving down the highway" vibe but there are lots of other songs from him I'd rather hear.

Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66, "Mas Que Nada" - In spite of this being a hit for the group (I looked it up) it's another I've never heard before. I know this group primarily for their cover of "The Look of Love." For me, their sound is absolutely late 60s jazz/pop. Good stuff.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Hugh Masekela - Grazing in the Grass
I don't know about summer but definitely a nice island feel. Where there are horns there is usually my approval and this one is no exception. If that weren't enough I also like the live sound as opposed to a lot of the over processed stuff out there. Both have their place but it's always refreshing to hear a nice basic performance by real musicians.

Herb Alpert - Route 101
I've never been a huge fan of Jazz but Herb is somewhat of an exception as he is technically a trumpeter who just happens to dabble in Jazz.

Here's the one I remember most from back in the day.

Spanish Flea - Herb Alpert​

Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66 - Mas Que Nada (with bonus Eartha Kitt)
Nice! I remember this one well but have never seen a live performance. Very cool!!!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Long forgotten little known hard rock from 30 years ago from europe. Dunno if this was ever released in america back in the day.

Erika Norberg - Together We're Lost

Erika Norberg - Line of Fire

Gudrun Laos - Now That It's Over

Romeo's Daughter - I Cry Myself To Sleep At Night

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
A harder/heavier version of "I Cry Myself To Sleep" from canadian rock singer Chrissy Steele, also from 30 years ago.

"Cry Myself To Sleep"

"Two Bodies"

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Erika Norberg
Together We're Lost

I'm no expert for sure but this is not what i would call hard Rock. Maybe soft Rock. I do believe I've heard it before but can't be sure as it's pretty generic for the genre. Not a bad track.

Line of Fire
I like this one better than the first one and, again, believe I've heard it before although it's more likely I'm confusing it with something else with a similar sound. Either way, I like the music and the vocals are also decent. The lyrical content is probably the weak point but I know in some genres that's not a big deal.

Gudrun Laos - Now That It's Over
The vocalist here is very good. Again, the lyrical content isn't quite working for me but I can still enjoy the song.

Romeo's Daughter - I Cry Myself To Sleep At Night
I really like this one. Very nice vocals and a strong musical backing track. Easily the best of these submissions.

Neither of these are playable.
A harder/heavier version of "I Cry Myself To Sleep" from canadian rock singer Chrissy Steele.

"Two Bodies"

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
A few of my favorite old school club jams

Nu Shooz was formed in Portland Oergon in the early 1980's and had a couple of notable dance hits.

Nu Shooz :​

I Can't Wait​

Point Of No Return​

I remember this quite well. I didn't know the band/act name was nu shooz.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
(IIRC, 'photoplay' was in the first Terminator movie for a few seconds).
Yep. This was playing in the bar [Tech Noir] as both Kyle Reese and the terminator zeroed in on Sarah Conner. Holds up pretty well.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Yep. This was playing in the bar [Tech Noir] as both Kyle Reese and the terminator zeroed in on Sarah Conner. Holds up pretty well.

I decided to take a closer look at that terminator movie again.

In that technoir segment, it turns out it was two different songs from Tane Mcclure. The other song was:

"Burnin In The Third Degree"

IIRC, it was played just before Arnold aimed a gun at Sarah Conner at the technoire nightclub.

Earlier in the movie, there was a third Tane Mcclure song:

"You Can't Do That"

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
There was an entire album recorded by Tane Mcclure's band "Tryanglz" at the time. In the end it was never released. The only three officially released songs, live on as a part of the Terminator soundtrack.

I thought most of the unreleased album was kinda crappy and unmemorable. Many of the unreleased tracks have shown up on youtube. For example, such as:

"Lifeline"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks