What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
A record album I use to listen to over and over again back in the day. Ironically, most of my friends in those days really hated this album. Largely another long forgotten european hard rock band: Fate "A Matter of Attitude".

"Point of No Return"

"I Can't Stand Losing You"

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
There was an entire album recorded by Tane Mcclure's band "Tryanglz" at the time. In the end it was never released. The only three officially released songs, live on as a part of the Terminator soundtrack.

I thought most of the unreleased album was kinda crappy and unmemorable. Many of the unreleased tracks have shown up on youtube. For example, such as:

"Lifeline"

Those two songs [Photoplay/"Burnin In The Third Degree"] sound so much alike I had to listen to each closely to even notice a difference!

I think the fact that the album was never released gives the film a special uniqueness as those songs aren't in rotation. It's as if they were commissioned specifically for the film, an irony since the first Terminator had a very meager budget. Kind of sucks for the artists though. I thought all of these songs [especially Lifeline] were perfectly fine for 80's Rock.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
James Last Orchestra - El Condor Pasa
I like it! It's like an orchestral take on a Western theme song. Very nice.

"Point of No Return"
Yea, it has that overbearing and unnecessary loud Rock sound that I don't generally care for. Some songs make it work but not so much this one, IMO.

"I Can't Stand Losing You"
This one still has the overbearing loudness but makes up for it musically. Enjoyable track.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Those two songs [Photoplay/"Burnin In The Third Degree"] sound so much alike I had to listen to each closely to even notice a difference!

I think the fact that the album was never released gives the film a special uniqueness as those songs aren't in rotation. It's as if they were commissioned specifically for the film, an irony since the first Terminator had a very meager budget. Kind of sucks for the artists though. I thought all of these songs [especially Lifeline] were perfectly fine for 80's Rock.

My guess was the songs might not have been explicitly commission at first. Possibly written previously before the movie was filmed.

Mcclure previously released a solo album in 1982, which had "Holdin On" which I linked a few posts previously. I thought most of "Tane Cain" album sounded rather unmemorable. It was largely forgotten for decades.

In the case of the first Terminator movie soundtrack, my guess was that the movie producers had a huge pile of pop/rock cassettes which were submitted by people they knew. It just happened that "Tryanglz" was the one chosen, likely by happenstance or luck.

Since Mcclure/Tryanglz were not huge rockstars at the time, this was probably their best chance at getting their music exposed to the general public. Even if it was just for one or two minute fragments in a movie scene.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Another case of a completely unknown band appearing out of nowhere on a then-big name movie soundtrack, was the song "Metal of the Night" by Hanover Fist.

It was on the "Wild Life" film soundtrack in 1984. "The Wild Life" was a clone/copy of "Fast Times at Ridgemont High", which featured Sean Penn's brother (Chris) playing a similar type of character. Bascially another long forgotten coming of age 1980s teen movie.

Allegedly the story behind the soundtrack was that Eddie Van Halen was hired to produce the soundtrack. By chance, he came across that Hanover Fist song and thought it fit perfectly into a particular film scene. (Likely from a huge pile of cassettes submitted from people they knew).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
A weird cover of a classic song on a movie soundtrack: "In A Gadda Da Vida" by Slayer on the "Less Than Zero" movie soundtrack. Sounds very different than the original Iron Butterfly version. (ie. No extended drums, guitar, etc ... solos).

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Another case of a completely unknown band appearing out of nowhere on a then-big name movie soundtrack, was the song "Metal of the Night" by Hanover Fist.

It was on the "Wild Life" film soundtrack in 1984. "The Wild Life" was a clone/copy of "Fast Times at Ridgemont High", which featured Sean Penn's brother (Chris) playing a similar type of character. Bascially another long forgotten coming of age 1980s teen movie.

Allegedly the story behind the soundtrack was that Eddie Van Halen was hired to produce the soundtrack. By chance, he came across that Hanover Fist song and thought it fit perfectly into a particular film scene. (Likely from a huge pile of cassettes submitted from people they knew).

The backing guitar track is decent but yea, this is pretty generic Rock from that era. As is always the case, some of the bands rose to prominence while others didn't. A lot of it has to do with exposure and proper management.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
A weird cover of a classic song on a movie soundtrack: "In A Gadda Da Vida" by Slayer on the "Less Than Zero" movie soundtrack. Sounds very different than the original Iron Butterfly version. (ie. No extended drums, guitar, etc ... solos).

Wow, these are markedly different takes. The first would play better as an instrumental as the vocals just don't help at all. The second version basically is an instrumental and the vocals that do exist are equally unnecessary. Overall I'd take the first version because it has a more energetic pace and feel.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

This might be worth checking out just to see Lea Thompson [Back to The Future] in a (presumably) more substantial role.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Linn Van Hek, "Intimacy" - A bit too repetitious for me. I've seen The Terminator many times and don't recall that song at all.

This Linn Van Hek song "Intimacy" was played in the scene just before Sarah Conner's roomate Ginger was killed by Arnold. Ginger was listening to it on a walkman.

Another song on the Terminator soundtrack which was easy to miss, is "Pictures of You" by Jay Ferguson / 16mm.

It was briefly played in one of the the technoir nightclub scenes, when Sarah Conner was on the payphone attemping to talk with the lapd police department.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Pictures of You" by Jay Ferguson

Not sure about this one at all. I have always been a Jay Ferguson fan from his days in Spirit, Jo Jo Gunne and his solo career, but in this song his voice is barely recognizable. One thing for sure is this is a classic 80s soundtrack vibe alright.

Spirit - Mr. Skin

Jo Jo Gunne - Babylon

Jay Ferguson - Thunder Island

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Jay Ferguson
Pictures of You

A non-descript song but reminiscent of what I believe was just a great era in music history. I like the fun and upbeat feel. The lyrics might as well not be there other than the chorus.

Spirit - Mr. Skin
This has a more edgy Rock sound. The vocals seem less processed compared to the previous track. Both sounds have their place but I definitely prefer the vocals here over "Pictures" and the music is leaps ahead.

Jo Jo Gunne - Babylon
Meh... Kind of a dull track. The vocals are probably the only thing I like here.

Thunder Island
This sounds as if it was written for a film or something. As with Babylon, I find it sort of uninteresting.

Mr. Skin is easily my favorite of these submissions.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Herb Alpert, "Spanish Flea" - Yep, like this one but I know it best as the them to The Dating Game TV series.

Here are a few others from him I really enjoy:

Herb Alpert - "A Taste of Honey" (try to ignore that he's not even attempting to fake playing):

Herb Alpert - "The Lonely Bull":

Herb Alpert - "Tijuana Taxi":

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Erika Norberg, "Together We're Lost" - This really has that 80s production style and sound. I like her voice and the song's OK enough though sounds like any of dozens of other songs from that era.

Erika Norberg, "Line of Fire" - From the intro I thought it might be a bit different. Nope. More of that kind of generic 80s sound again. Still pleasant enough but just doesn't stand out from the pack.

Gudrun Laos, "Now That It's Over" - Again, a pleasant enough song but suffers from sounding like almost everything else on pop radio in the 80s.

Romeo's Daughter, "I Cry Myself To Sleep At Night" - Yep... still more of that sound. Again, not bad but...

One of my favorite bands is Heart and even they succumbed to that generic 80s sound.

Heart - "What About Love":

Heart - "Alone":

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Tahnee Cain Tryanglz, "Photoplay" - This has a bit of a Pat Benatar type sound but not quite as hard hitting.

Tahnee Cain Tryanglz, "Burnin' in the Third Degree" - This one sounds like a lesser clone of "Photoplay" with the same beat and drum track. It's even in the same key. Were they sequed I'd not be able to tell you when one ended and the next started.

Tahnee Cain Tryanglz, "You Can't Do That" - And it's in the same key as the first two. It tries hard but just doesn't have anything to make it stand out. When it comes right down to it all three of these tracks are quite similar sounding.

Tahnee Cain Tryanglz, "Lifeline" - More of the same. Pretty indistinguishable from the others. It appears that this is why the album never saw release as it all pretty much sounds the same.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
James Last Orchestra, "El Condor Pasa" - I really like this song and this instrumental version. I know it from the cover Simon & Garfunkle released on their "Bridge Over Troubled Water" album.

Simon & Garfunkle - "El Cóndor Pasa (If I Could)":

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Fate, "Point of No Return" - An 80s hair rock band I've never heard of. It's OK but a is pretty generic example for that decade.

Fate, "I Can't Stand Losing You" - Depending on just what *they* listened to I can see your friends "hating" this album as these examples are pretty generic sounding 80s hair rock. See Heart above for another pair of generic 80s tracks - from a band I normally really like - but not so much those two tracks.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Hanover Fist, "Metal of the Night" - Don't care for this one. More of that generic 80s hair rock sound with yelling taking the place of singing.

Jr - quite a lot of your posted videos will not play. They're apparently not available in the US.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Slayer, "In A Gadda Da Vida" - Don't care for this at all. The drumming style and vocals just don't fit the song with some of the vocals sounding out of tune or like he just couldn't hit the notes. Then again, I'm intimately familiar with the original so...

Iron Butterly, "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" - As I said, I'm intimately familiar with this one. When it came out I'd go to my girlfriend's house and we'd play it 3 or 4 times. *Everyone* tried to learn that drum solo. I heard it so much I grew tired of it. Then it grew on me again and I, again, tired of it. It's back in favor and I'll listen to it at least a couple of times a year these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks