What's new

"The Girl Can't Help It" -- where is it? (1 Viewer)

John Watson

Screenwriter
Don't think I've ever seen it, but probably worth it for the songs - the title song, and Cry Me a River - alone.:)

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Back in the days of Laserdisc, Fox was supposedly searching for the original stereo soundtrack, which prevented a wide screen release of the film. Perhaps they are still searching...

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I AM VOTING FOR IT TO BE RELEASED !!!!!
FOX SHOULD RELEASE IT WITH THEIR NEW STUDIO CLASSICS
LINE !!!!!!!!!!
IT IS ONE OF THE GREAT FILMS OF THE 50SSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!
LOVED JAYNE IN IT !!!!!!!!!!
AND WHILE WE ARE AT IT - A WIDESCREEN OF
"WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER" !!!!!!!!!
JAYNE AT HER BEST !!!!
RIVALS 'SEVEN YEAR ITCH"

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't mind a double (well, this IS Jayne Mansfield!)feature of her two biggest.....hits! Of course, I'm still hoping for the release of "The Wild Wild World of J.M.", "Single Room Furnished" and even "Promises", Promises". As for "The Girl Can't Help It"- its release is a must- Little Richard, Julie London ( a childhood crush- fell for her watching "Emergency" and it was years later that I found out what a great singer she was!), Eddie Cochran, The Treniers, Gene Vincent, Abbey Lincoln (wearing a dress worn by Marilyn Monroe in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes"!), and other legendary music icons are at the best in what has been called the first great rock film. Of course, they all pale in comparison to Jayne's bosomy splendor.......

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Charles Ellis,

Single Room Furnished is (or at least was) on DVD. I have a copy put out by Rhino (same people who do all of the oldie songs CD's). It is even in widescreen! Though billed as her "last and finest performance", I think The Girl Can't Help It beats it hands down! I would like to also see the other "Will Success..." movie released too!

I feel this 20th Century Fox movie is a classic. It was out when Marilyn was at her height and this was one of the vehicles used to try and propel Jayne into the top spot. A time when even photo shoots copied Marilyn even down to poses and clothes.

It has many of the major rock stars of the era including Little Richard, Fats Domino, Julie London, The Platters, The Treniers, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, and others. Don't forget that Marilyn's co-star from The Seven Year Itch Tom Ewell is also the co-star in this movie.

True, Jayne is a bit of a cartoon in this as in all of her movies. If you ever get a chance (and wish this too would come out on DVD) watch the movie The Jayne Mansfield Story starring Loni Anderson as Jayne. You will see how intelligent she really was and it is known how much of a business woman (marketing) she was as well. Think of it... in any of her movies does she have much more than a few lines or cameo appearances but gets top billing? And doesn't anyone who knows Marilyn also knows Jayne? It wasn't by accident. She was horribly typecast so she unfortunately made the best of it. I believe she could have been a serious actress.

Don't forget these other Jayne movies out on DVD:

Las Vegas Hillbillys which also includes Mamie Van Doren. This is a low budget cheapie that showcases some of the country music stars of the time. Also The Fat Spy which stars Phyllis Diller, another low budget cheapie and both from c.1966.

Maybe the song rights are also holding this one up as the songs in Saturday Night Fever held it up?

John Watson

Screenwriter
Possibly related : A few weeks ago in the Music Room someone brought up Julie London, and I asked if "The Girl can't help it" song was ever performed by Bobby Troup, who wrote it. (He also wrote "Route 66", which I do have by him).

BTW, sounds like a dam fine movie, always makes me want a glass of milk.:)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Let's not forget also that it was Directed by Frank Tashlin who was responsible for many wonderful and zany Warner Bros' Looney Tunes Cartoons.

His Cartoon roots are very evident in the Direction of "The Girl Can't Help It"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks