What's new

Fox Classics in Europe (1 Viewer)

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
Hello,

I know there is thread for the US Fox Studio Classics but I was wondering how many of these films have actually been released in Europe. I know some are available as film only releases, probably with the same transfers as in the US.

Here is the list and some of the countries where they are available (the numbers refer to the original US FSC):

1. ALL ABOUT EVE (available in most european countries)
2. GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT (available in most european countries)
3. HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY (available in most european countries)
4. AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER (available in most european countries)
5. THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (UK)
6. THE GHOST AND MRS MUIR (UK, France)
7. LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING (UK, France, Germany)
8. THE SONG OF BERNARDETTE (France, Germany, UK)
9. ANASTASIA (UK, France)
10. THE INN OF THE SIXTH HAPPINESS (UK, Germany, France)
11. TITANIC (UK, Germany)
12. THE MARK OF ZORRO (UK, Germany)
13. THE OX-BOW INCIDENT (France, UK early 2006)
14. MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (France, Germany, UK early 2006)
15. THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK (Germany, UK, France)
16. PEYTON PLACE (France, Spain, UK)
17. THE GRAPES OF WRATH (France, UK)
18. DESK SET (UK, Germany)
19. THE SNAKE PIT (UK licensed title)
20. THE PRIME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE
21. ALEXIS ZORBA (aka ZORBA, THE GREEK) (France, Portugal, UK)
22. ALEXANDER'S RAGTIME BAND
23. THE THREE FACES OF EVE (Spain, France)
24. THREE COINS IN A FOUNTAIN (UK, Germany)
25. HOW TO STEAL A MILLION (Germany, France, UK)
26. LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN (UK, Germany, France)
27. A LETTER TO THREE WIVES (licensed: France - part of the Mankiewicz pack, Spain, UK)
28. RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE
29. ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM (UK early 2006)
30. THE RAZOR'S EDGE (UK, Germany)
31. THE BEST OF EVERYTHING
32. HUSH, HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE (Germany, UK, Spain)
33. IN OLD CHICAGO (UK early 2006)
34. THE MAN WITH THE GREY FLANNEL SUIT
35. ORCHESTRA WIVES
36. TWO FOR THE ROAD (distributed in Germany by Fox, in the UK by Optimum Release)
37. THE RAIN CAMES

As far as I am aware THE OX-BOW INCIDENT is only available in France. Non numbered classics include:

FANTASTIC VOYAGE (UK)
JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH (UK)
VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (UK)

On the other hand, there are exclusive Fox releases for Europe:

VIVA ZAPATA (UK, Germany, France)
JESSE JAMES (Germany)
BUFFALLO BILL (Germany)

and a few license titles, some of them exclusives, mostly release at least in the UK, France and Germany:

FORTY GUNS
UNFAITHFULLY YOURS
I WAS A MALE WAR BRIDE
CLUNY BROWN (France)
PICKUP IN SOUTH STREET
CARMEN JONES (BFI edition in the UK)
WHIRLPOOL
WHERE THE SIDEWALK END
FALLEN ANGEL
5 FINGERS
DRAGONWYCK (France - part of the Mankiewicz pack, UK)
WILD RIVER (UK, France)
DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK (UK, Germany)
YOUNG MR LINCOLN (UK)
THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT (UK)
HEAVEN CAN WAIT (UK, Germany)

+ the Optimum released Westerns in the UK

If someone else knows any that might be missing here, I would appreciate.

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
The french Mankiewicz box has DRAGONWYCK, A LETTER TO THREE WIVES and 5 FINGERS, as well as a few extras.

Apart from the forthcoming Mankiewicz box in France does anyone have any regional info that they want to share? Fox seems to be licensing a lot of classic titles in Europe and both these and their own releases vary a bit from country to country.

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke
"Unfaithfully Yours" will be released in Germany on 10/28/04 from MC-One. ["Classic Edition" with photo gallery, biographies]
"Drums along the Mohawk" will be released in Germany on 11/25/04 from MC-One. ["Classic Edition" with no extras]

"I was a male War Bride" has been released in Germany on 09/16/04 by MC-One. ["Classic Edition" with biographies]
"Pickup on South Street" and "Where the Sidewalk ends" were released in Germany on 10/01/04 from Koch Media. [no extras]

"Viva Zapata" is available in Germany from 20th Century Fox as well.

"The Inn of the sixth Happiness" was released in Germany on 03/08/04 by 20th Century Fox. Same for "The Inn of the Sixth Happiness" and "Zorro".

Vincent L

Auditioning
To be released in France in 2005:
- Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines (with special features, Audio Com., Documentary, ...)
- Zorba the greek
- Grapes of wrath

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
Has anyone got any idea of what is the bonus disc that is to be included in this month's classic releases in France?

Also, Fox's UK webpage has the following as Studio Classic releases for April:

ALL ABOUT EVE
THE BIG TRAIL
THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
THE FLY
THE GRAPES OF WRATH
HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY
HOW TO STEAL A MILLION
PEYTON PLACE
VON RYAN'S EXPRESS
THE YOUNG LIONS

Also, some sites have included A FAREWELL TO ARMS as an April release as well. Most of these are re-releases (probably just different packaging), and makes me wonder why doesn't Fox release in the UK the other films already available in the continent instead of this - although I hope that ALL ABOUT EVE has a better transfer.

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina
I have 'Cluny Brown' from France. The quality is great and subtitles are removable. Also, the great Astaire-Rogers 'Swing Time' is available from Editions Montparnasse (released on 02/15/2005; the French title is 'Sur les ailes de la danse'). The French subtitles are optional.

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
The BBFC has passed recently the extras for both LAURA and THE RAZOR'S EDGE, so these might be coming soon, although neither is part of the 70 title list that make the UK studio classics.

The R1 extras for ALL ABOUT EVE have as well been recently classified by the BBFC. Are these in the new UK release or is the new release just a repackging as expected?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Someone should upload the regional cover art for these releases in a high-res quality for printing so we could replace our R1 covers since these original poster art images are far superior. We just need someone to digitally remove that green PAL registry triangle logo. Anyone up for the task?

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
...and oddly enough, for the UK add:

FANTASTIC VOYAGE
JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH
VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
There are a few 2-disc special editions being released in Germany and France. These seem to have the same extras as the R1 but spread over two discs. The titles available are:

ALL ABOUT EVE
LAURA
THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL

and coming soon,

LIFEBOAT
MY DARLING CLEMENTINE
THE FLY

Niels Hansen

Auditioning
On January 16th, The Gunfighter (Gregory Peck) will be released separately in the UK. Previously it was only available in the Gregory Peck Collection. On February 20th, Curse of the Fly (1965), the third and final installment in the original The Fly series, will be released in the UK.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

We're getting something similar in the UK. On the UK Fox website, the full details and art for:

Laura (Cinema Reserve) - difference with the R1, extra documentary The Obsession.
The Day the Earth Stood Still (Cinema Reserve) - difference with the R1, an extra titled A Warning and an ultimatum, but doesn't appear to have the shooting script of the R1.
My Darling Clementine (Cinema Reserve) - difference with the R1, is a two-disc (R1 is double sided), and features the theatrical trailer.
All About Eve (Cinema Reserve) - difference with the R1, unclear, says 'three featurettes' which could be the ones on the R1, or may not.

There are more to come, but they're a heck of a price when compared with the R1s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks