What's new

Weekly RoundUp 8-8-2006 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Weekly RoundUp

The Features

– Jodie Foster & Denzel Washington (Inside Man – 2006)

– Toshiro Mifune & Shintaro Katsu (Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo – 1970)

– Jayne Mansfield and Kenneth More (Sheriff of Fractured Jaw - 1957)

– Dominic Purcell (Prison Break – 2005)

The Prices

SD-DVD TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoAdam and Steve$18.69$19.99$19.99 - - Beautiful People: Complete Series$34.69$34.69$39.99$34.99 - Brak Show: Volume 2$19.49$19.99$21.99 - - Brick$19.87$19.99$19.99$17.99 - -**Bring It On: All or Nothing$16.99$16.99$16.99$17.99 - Cavite$20.19$22.99$19.99 - - CSA: Confederate States of America$16.99$19.99$19.99 - - Curse of King Tut’s Tomb: Complete Season$17.99 - $27.99 - - Don’t Come Knocking$22.49$19.99$24.97 - - Frat Boy Collection$16.99$24.99$16.99 - - Fresh Prince of Bel Air: Season 4$22.63$21.99$21.99 - - Grounded For Life: Season 3$12.78$14.99$15.99 - - Heidi (2005)$17.99$14.99$15.99 - - Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth$10.99$9.99$12.99 - - The Hidden Blade$22.49$19.99$19.99 - - **Inside Man$14.99$15.99$14.99$16.99$18.99Jayne Mansfield Collection$29.97$41.99$39.99 - - Laguna Beach: Season 2$25.87$26.99$27.99$22.99 - Laguna Beach: Season 2 CE (Target) - - - $27.99 - Larry-Cable Guy: Health Inspector$17.99$16.99$17.99$16.99 - The Last Mogul$16.99$19.99$19.99 - - Lost City$18.89 - $19.99$15.99 - Manderlay$16.99$19.99$19.99 - - Noah’s Arc: Season 1$27.88$31.99$34.99 - - Prison Break: Season 1$38.98$36.99$39.99$37.99$39.99Sealab 2021: Season 4$19.49$19.99$21.99 - - Sorry, Haters$16.99$19.99$19.99 - - Toshiro Mifune Ultimate Collection$89.99$79.99$99.99 - - Ultimate Avengers 2$12.99$12.99$12.99$12.99 - Wasabi Tuna$18.99$24.99$27.00 - - The Wire: Season 3$62.99$64.99$62.99 - - Xiaolin Showdown: Season 1$13.93$16.99$15.99 - -

HD-DVD TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoRay$19.95$24.99$29.98 - -

Individual titles included in box sets listed above:

Frat Boy Collection: Bachelor Party, Porky’s, PCU.

Jayne Mansfield Collection: The Girl Can’t Help It, Sheriff of Fractured Jaw, Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?

Toshiro Mifune Ultimate Collection: Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo, Incident at Blood Pass, Samurai Banners, Red Lion, Samurai Assassin.

The Disclaimer Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

"LP" in the RoundUp table means a store’s Sunday flyer says "Low Price". That means I could not locate a definite price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, as always, Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

The Specials

**BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL! Bring It On: All or Nothing AND Inside Manare available in both OAR and MAR versions...get the correct one(s) !

A quick note here about NEXT WEEK’S ROUNDUP (the 8-15-2006 edition). It will be a day or so late as I return from a brief vacation. It will probably post up Sunday night sometime. Thanks for understanding. And, thanks to Patrick Sun for helping me post up THIS WEEK’S RoundUp at the appropriate time.

--I am still unsure of my efficiencies in finding and pricing the various HD & Blu-Ray release each week. Be forewarned. It seems like in-store prices at Best Buy and Circuit City are coming in cheaper than the prices as reported on-line. I am, however, trying out this week a suggestion to “break out” the HD titles from the SD-DVD listings. There’s only one HD title this week…but it’s a start! :D

--Amazon.com continues their special offer on Blu-Ray & HD-DVD discs: Save an additional 10% on all of your Blu-ray & HD-DVD Disc purchases for the next year. Purchase three Blu-ray or HD-DVD Discs right now, and you'll automatically qualify to receive an additional 10% off all of your high-definition DVD purchases for one year. To receive a 10% discount on your three high-def Discs upon checkout, use this claim code: HDDISC10. Go HERE for details.

--Amazon is back to some of its funky pricing differences between OAR & MAR releases! Bring It On: All or Nothing is $16.99 WS/$19.87 FS…and Inside Man is $14.99 WS/$15.98 FS! :emoji_thumbsup:

--Best Buy has an EXCLUSIVE BONUS DVD with the purchase of Prison Break: Season 1 includes the Mobisodes Series: Proof of Innocence—26 two-minute episodes made especially for mobile phones. No rainchecks.

--Best Buy also has an EXCLUSIVE BONUS DVD with the purchase of Laguna Beach: Season 2 on DVD. MYV Overdrive Presents “Fashion of Laguna Beach”A $10.50 value. Minimum 20 per store.

--Best Buy has a FREE RINGTONE with the purchase of Bring It On: All or Nothing on DVD. Choose from three downloadable movie quote ringtones. Minimum 6 ringtones DVDs per store.

--At Best Buy you can also get FREE EXCLUSIVE ON-PACK TRADING CARDS with the purchase of Ultimate Avengers 2. Minimum 20 per store.

--Best Buy also has a price of $17.99 (apiece) on seasons 1 thru 3 of Fresh Prince of Bel Air…and $14.99 on Laguna Beach: Season 1.

--Circuit City has a 2/$22 promotion going on this week with Bring It On Again ($8.99) and Bring It On: All for Nothing ($16.99). In-store only. Must be purchased on same receipt.

--Circuit City, this week, has a FREE BAG OF ACT II POPCORN with the purchase of Inside Man on DVD. While supplies last. Minimum 25 per store.

--Circuit City has a 2/$18 deal going on with the combined purchase of Ultimate Avengers 2 ($12.99) and Ultimate Avengers: The Movie ($12.99). In-store only. Purchases must be on same receipt.

--Circuit City is advertising a price of $17.99 apiece on Seasons 1 thru 3 of Fresh Prince of Bel Air and Sealab 2021 and on Volume 1 of Brak Show.

--Circuit City is offering an EXCLUSIVE FREE SKIN CARE SET with the purchase of Laguna Beach: Season 2. With purchase in-store only.

--Target is offering an entire round of BONUS DVDS with their copies, this week of Prison Break: Season 1, Bring It On: All or Nothing, Inside Man, and The Lost City. Prison Break Target EXCLUSIVE bonus disc includes “Behind the Walls” featurette including the wrap party.

--Target also has its own EXCLUSIVE COLLECTOR’S EDITION OF LAGUNA BEACH: SEASON 2. Includes 24-page photo booklet and bonus disc with never-before-seen interviews, etc.

--And Target’s also got their own EXCLUSIVE ULTIMATE AVENGERS COMIC BOOK on their copies of Ultimate Avengers 2.

The Markdowns

The latest markdowns according to DavisDVD:

EFFECTIVE: August 8, 2006 (Studio/Titles/New SRP)

Buena Vista Home Entertainment

Finding Neverland, The Haunted Mansion, Shall We Dance, Mr. 3000 -- $14.99

Buena Vista Home Entertainment

Where the Red Fern Grows -- $19.99

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Circuit City on sale DVD items:

V For Vendetta $17.99

$9.49 each:
Fun With Dick & Jane (2005)
Dirty
Ghostbusters 1 & 2
Get Shorty / Be Cool Double Feature
Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 Double Feature
The Legend of Zorro: Special Edition
Black Dawn
The Patriot: Extended Cut
Snatch: Deluxe Edition (Yellow Box)
Stealth: Special Edition
The Fog (2005)
G
The Replacement Killers: Extended Cut
Godzilla: Monster Edition
Labryinth
The Cave
Stand By Me: Special Edition
BarberShop / Barbershop 2 Double Feature
La Bamba / Buddy Holly Story Double Feature
Bram Stoker’s Dracula / Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein Double Feature
Zathura: Special Edition
Are We There Yet?
Into The Blue
Taxi Driver: Collector’s Edition
The Marksman
Tears Of The Sun
House Of Flying Daggers
Windtalkers: Director’s Cut
Big Fish (1st Pressing)
American Chopper : The Series

$12.99 each:
Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Family Reunion
When A Stranger Calls 2006
Glory Road
Hostel
Dave Chappelle’s Block Party: Unrated
Underworld: Evolution

DVD Sets
Sealab 2021: Season 1 / 2 / 3 $17.99 each
The Brak Show: Volume I $17.99
Fresh Prince Of Bel Air: Season 1 / 2 / 3 $17.99 each

-------

Best Buy on sale DVD items:

$3.99 each:
American Psycho: Uncut Edition
House of 1000 Corpses
Dirty Dancing: Ultimate Edition
Van Wilder: Unrated
Kids
Requiem For A Dream
Reservoir Dogs: Special Edition
The Punisher (2004)

These are $3.99 titles listed on the BB website (YMMV):
I Can Do Bad All By Myself (Madea)
Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Extreme)
SNL: Chris Farley
Dune (2002)
SNL: John Belushi
High Tension
Belly
SNL: Will Farrell Vol. 1
SNL: Christopher Walken
Open Water
First Blood
SNL: Eddie Murphy
Glengary Glen Ross
SNL: Will Farrell Vol. 2
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Season 1
The Last Unicorn
The Best of Triumph The Insult Comic Dog - Anniversary
The Five People You Meet In Heaven
On Golden Pond
Barbie as Rapunzel
Madea's Class Reunion

3 FOR $25 or 6 FOR $40:
Good Will Hunting
Open Range
Ransom
Serendipity
Mr. 3000
Gangs of New York
Signs
Bridget Jones' Diary
Count Of Monte Cristo
Spy Kids 3D
Jersey Girl
Escape From Witch Mountain: Special Edition
The Sixth Sense
Shall We Dance?
Equilibrium
Holes
Miracle
The Rock (Non-Criterion)
The Apple Dumpling Gang: Special Edition
High Fideilty
Shakespeare In Love
Armageddon (Non-Criterion)
Swingers
Rounders (Card-Faced Edition)
Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back
The Waterboy
Finding Neverland
Must Be Purchased On The Same Receipt

Buy 1 Special Edition DVD, Get 1 Special Edition DVD Free:

$17.99 each:
Unforgiven
Black Hawk Down
Batman
Amadeus
Se7en
Memento
Dogma
All The President's Men
The Fifth Element
The Big Red One
Boogie Nights
Chariots Of Fire
Dog Day Afternoon
Magnolia
Network
Boyz In The Hood
Stand By Me
Dr. Strangelove
Leon: The Professional

DVD Sets:
Roswell: Season 1 / 2 / 3 $19.99 each
Fresh Prince Of Bel Air: Season 1 / 2 / 3 $17.99 each

---------

Target on sale DVD items:

The Hills Have Eyes (2006) $15.99
Transamerica $15.99
Match Point $15.99

The Lost City $15.99
Exclusive Bonus DVD included

James Blunt: Chasing Time – The Bedlam Sessions $9.98
Buy this tour edition James Bunt DVD and get early access to purchase up to 4 concert tickets for the James Blunt tour. Limited number of tickets & venues available for early purchase. Quantity limited. No rain checks.

$7.50 each:
Family Double Feature: Shiloh / Shiloh 2: Getting Some Action In The Cathouse
Spider-Man 2
The Aviator
Million Dollar Baby
Titanic

$10.00 each:
Pride & Prejudice 2005
Zathura: Special Edition
Robots
Rebound
The Corpse Bride
Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Shall I hold my breath for those Target bonus discs this weeK? I don't think anyone has actually seen the bonus disc that was supposed to come with the Beavis and Butthead Volume 3 set from last week.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
While I am not buying anything this week, these get added to my Netflix queue:
Noah's Arc
Prison Break

The "exclusive" packaging is getting out of control! Can't wait to see what happens during the fourth quarter holiday releases!

BTW, I seem to think that the Target version of "Laguna Beach" features an exclusive cover art from the other retailers...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
probably just netflix prison break so i can see the last 6 eps or so.

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
Thanks as always Mike & Patrick for all your work on the Weekly RoundUp - especially when you go on vacation Mike.

One note on the RoundUp table: there is a '>' missing to close the table data tag in the Sealab 2021: Season 4 listing and the prices are shifted one cell to the left.

(Admin note - Fixed!)

Only one title for me this week - Inside Man.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I like this $3.99 thing BB has been doing the last 2 weeks. I'll be replacing my 4x3 Lions Gate UR copy of American Psycho. I mean, $4 to get anamorphic, better transfer and some xtras? Hell yeah.

Julio Diaz

Stunt Coordinator
Dag nab it! Those $3.99 titles at BB are the ones that were $5.99 last week, per my post. Anyone know whether BB will PM itself and refund me the difference? I bought 4 titles off that display lasy week! The $8 back would be enough to get two more!

As to new stuff, I was going to hold off for awhile on Ultimate Avengers 2, but the opening week prices are actually pretty good, so I'll probably go ahead and grab it. The first one was a lot of fun. If you don't already have the first one, I recommend grabbing that CC 2/$18 deal; if you're at all a super-hero fan, you should enjoy these.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
^ Julio....BB shouldn't have any problem PMing themselves.

Already preordered all my stuff for this week, which included...

Ultimate Avengers 2
Third Man Out
Noah's Arc
Dante's Cove
Farscape 4.2

That being said, I will be stopping in to pick up The Punisher today. For 3.99, why not?

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
Two HD DVD's for me this week: Ray and U2: Rattle & Hum. I will be renting Inside Man, however. Missed it in the theater this spring and I am really looking forward to it.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the round up like usual Mike, even so I might not...I mean I will probably get something from that special edition deal at Best Buy (need to repurchase Se7en) and maybe Sealab or Prison Break.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Like the new breakdown, of course the beneft of the look will be more obvious when there are several HD & BR titles to list.

Thanks!

BrandonJF

Second Unit

Someone else mentioned that "U2:Rattle and Hum" is coming out on HD-DVD this week.

Paramount is releasing "Aeon Flux" and "The Italian Job" on Tuesday as well. Best Buy is listing them at $24.99 each.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I'll stop by BB today, but I'm not holding out much hope for the $3.99 titles.

Had same problem last week at CC where the bin was cleaned out.

Glad I jumped on the previous WalMart $9.88 sale on WB 2-disc sets, BB is trying to get $18 for that stuff this week.

EDIT: Missed the fact that it's 'buy one, get one free'. Much better deal that way...

John Gido

Second Unit
Does anyone know if Jayne Mansfield Collection titles will be available individually? I'm really only interested in "The Girl Can't Help It".

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Here's the rest of the Best Buy $3.99 titles listed on their website, so it could be YMMV at local stores (updated in the list):

I Can Do Bad All By Myself (Madea)
Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Extreme)
SNL: Chris Farley
Dune (2002)
SNL: John Belushi
High Tension
Belly
SNL: Will Farrell Vol. 1
SNL: Christopher Walken
Open Water
First Blood
SNL: Eddie Murphy
Glengary Glen Ross
SNL: Will Farrell Vol. 2
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
The Last Unicorn
The Best of Triumph The Insult Comic Dog - Anniversary
The Five People You Meet In Heaven
On Golden Pond
Barbie as Rapunzel
Madea's Class Reunion

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Isn't the Farscape: Starburst Edition Volume 4.2 due out this week?

I've been waiting on this one! This is only the second Starburst Edition with 16:9 anamorphically-enhanced transfers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks