What's new

The Expanse on Amazon Prime (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Clearly the answer is yes, because that means you can buy new gear!

:laugh: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Have to start looking, but not quite sure where to start. The 18" PSA looks like a beast, but exchange and shipping to Canuckistan might be too prohibitive.

Also, might be a bit too big for my room. The 15" is a possibility too.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Series 1-3 has just been released here in a Blu Ray boxset. As I'm not an amazon prime member, it seemed the best way to see the last series. (ie series 3, 1 and 2 were on Netflix last year..)
It looks and sounds great and I am about half way through the first series (again). Funny how I remember this series as being more of a slog than I've found it so far (and I have to say that I don't remember the detail of it at all - but do I feel more connected to the characters as they are being developed over these first few episodes.)
I understand series 4 is due to air later this year - bring on the Blu ray of that too please!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wasn't sure if S4 would be able to match the first three seasons. I don't think it is quite as good as the first three, but it is.pretty close. Enough that I ended up watching the first six episodes before I finally had to take a break.

"Miller" can be a real dick.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I don't like that they have the UN Ambassador swearing like a sailor in this season. It seems like an abrupt change in her personality. She was a little rough around the edges before, but not like this.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't like that they have the UN Ambassador swearing like a sailor in this season. It seems like an abrupt change in her personality. She was a little rough around the edges before, but not like this.

Yeah. I totally agree with you there. The turn they took with her character was not for the better.

In the first three seasons she was a schemer with hints of arrogance, but she was also relatively calm under pressure. Her character had quite a bit of depth with all of her machinations. In this season, she is more one note. They made her into a shrieking, spoiled martinet with a sewer mouth.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Previous couple of posts...

There is a big reason for the "change". When the series ran on SyFy, they were bound by general Cable TV practices, and were skittish about the language getting too salty. They did, however, become a little less skittish in Season 3, letting even a few "f-bombs" through, as other basic cable networks loosened up on the restrictions (most notably FX). Now that it's on Prime, they have no language restrictions.

While that sounds like them just throwing in profanity just because they can, it's true to the character as she is in the books. A lot of viewers (including me) were actually bothered in the earlier seasons that Avasarala did not swear like a sailor. So was Shohreh Aghdashloo, the actress who plays her.

Anyway...the Season 5 trailer is now up. First three episodes will stream on December 16. The rest will follow on a weekly basis.

3dbinCanada

Second Unit
Real Name
Ted
Yeah. I totally agree with you there. The turn they took with her character was not for the better.

In the first three seasons she was a schemer with hints of arrogance, but she was also relatively calm under pressure. Her character had quite a bit of depth with all of her machinations. In this season, she is more one note. They made her into a shrieking, spoiled martinet with a sewer mouth.

Ive read the entire series and was wondering how good the characters were going to be portrayed. The worst portrayal is Amos. Amos in the books was a jovial self assured man who became deadly without issue when told too do so. In the series, he comes across as a young broody and moody biatch with immature overtones, so unlike Amos in the books.
The pilot, captain, and engineer are well matched in book and series. The UN rep is the best matched between book and series. Tough, shrewd, she always told you were she stood on things. The dectective is also nicely done.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I completely forgot that the new season started this month and I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that it is out.

Will start this weekend.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
And this thread is in the wrong forum. It should be in the TV show forum with all the other TV shows.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Ive read the entire series and was wondering how good the characters were going to be portrayed. The worst portrayal is Amos. Amos in the books was a jovial self assured man who became deadly without issue when told too do so. In the series, he comes across as a young broody and moody biatch with immature overtones, so unlike Amos in the books.
The pilot, captain, and engineer are well matched in book and series. The UN rep is the best matched between book and series. Tough, shrewd, she always told you were she stood on things. The dectective is also nicely done.

I started reading the books almost from the beginning (I bought the first book just before the second came out). I don't think the TV series has managed to capture any of the main characters as I envisioned them in my head, with the single exception of Avasarala. As soon as I heard that Shohreh Aghdashloo was cast, I thought she was a perfect choice.

That said, I liked TV-Amos almost immediately. Wes Chatham didn't match the Amos in my head, but I love what he does with the character. Same with Steven Strait as Holden. The others I like well enough, but not as much. I like the way Frankie Adams plays Bobbie, but I can't get it out of my head that she's supposed to be built like a Sumo wrestler. :)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
By the by...I was going over the previous seasons and uncovered a jaw-dropping piece of foreshadowing back in the first season that somehow didn't register with me at the time.

Now, the TV series was in production in 2015, and started airing in December of that year. The fifth book, Nemesis Games, which is currently being adapted, was published in June of that year. So it was clear (even aside from the fact that the book authors were working on the TV show) that the producers knew what was coming down the road.

There's this scene in episode 1x04 ("CQB") where Avasarala and one of her grandchildren are watching a meteor shower and talking. I'm putting the dialogue behind a spoiler tag, in case there's anyone here who doesn't know what's about to happen, or rather, what just started happening at the end of episode 5x03.

Grandson: "They're nothing to be scared of, you know. They're just little rocks that burn up in the sky."

Avasarala: "They're not always so little."

Grandson: "You mean like the one that killed the dinosaurs?"

Avasarala: "Uh-huh."

Grandson: "Okay, that rock was big. But that hardly ever happens. Like winning the lottery."

Avasarala: "I worry about people who throw rocks."

Grandson: "Nobody could throw rocks that big. It just happens sometimes, because, you know, gravity."

Avasarala: "Hmmm."

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Steve
I'm a sci fi and Lovecraft lover. But mostly reading as tv/movie versions never seem to capture the real sense because it is sci fi. that said, i didn't know the video expanse existed until i stumbled on it on Amazon a month ago. I have to say, they are doing a great job of mirroring the images i had when reading the books. Avasarala us spot on. I did not like TV amos at first but now he and bobby are my favorites. there was an article recently about how amos is now everyone's favorite character. He's 48 years old! I miss Miller too.

I'm not keen on the casting for holden. He's a little to thin and sissy and not as dumb luckable as the book portrays. But bossmag, i love the series and thanks to amazon for saving it and committing to 2 more seasons at least.

and lovecraft country - not really Lovecraftian but the racism shows how disgusting we humans can be.

the real surprise TV winner for me was Dark.

not sure how the writers of The Boys are going to keep supes interesting for more than another season.

now back to episode 673 of Dark Shadows. A Dan Curtis Production.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks