What's new

The COVID Vaccination Thread (2 Viewers)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Just read this article in the Washington Post about the tiny island of Seychelles in the Indian Ocean. They have a population of about 100,000 and 60% of that population is fully vaccinated already. Yet, they are seeing a spike in COVID infections.

Of the 1,068 current active cases, 65% are either unvaccinated or have only received 1 dose. That means 35% of the active cases are among fully vaccinated persons!!

Seychelles uses two vaccines (from China and India) that are known to be less effective at preventing infection (but still reasonably effective at preventing serious illness). However, even though the statistics are better for Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, I think the situation clearly underscores the need to continue to be vigilant and careful even after you've been fully vaccinated.

60% fully vaccinated is NOT yet "herd immunity". We need to get to 75-80% or greater to achieve that. In the U.S., unfortunately, I do not believe that will happen from vaccine alone. Too many people are unwilling to get the vaccine.

We may reach herd immunity in the U.S. once more of the unvaccinated have been infected. But how many will die because of vaccine hesitancy and how long will it take?

My wife and I don't want to be part of the problem. While it is true we are enjoying a limited and controlled amount of return to "normalcy", we do not feel it is yet safe to meet in large groups in indoor spaces, even if everyone in the group is fully vaccinated. At least, not without masks (double masks).

My magic club is discussing the idea of meeting in person again starting in July. The meeting would be held at someone's home. The decision depends on what happens with regard to state & county guidelines in the next several weeks.

Since vaccination rates are slowing, WELL before we've gotten remotely close to herd immunity, I fear we are going to be in a spike situation (just like Seychelles) by July. Fingers crossed that I am wrong.

Mark

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thursday was two weeks for me and my wife! We celebrated by going out to eat for the first time in over a year. Had dinner on the patio of the local Uncle Julio’s restaurant. Then dessert at the next door gelato stand.

It was nice to have a new moment approximating normalcy.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Just read this article in the Washington Post about the tiny island of Seychelles in the Indian Ocean. They have a population of about 100,000 and 60% of that population is fully vaccinated already. Yet, they are seeing a spike in COVID infections.

Of the 1,068 current active cases, 65% are either unvaccinated or have only received 1 dose. That means 35% of the active cases are among fully vaccinated persons!!

Seychelles uses two vaccines (from China and India) that are known to be less effective at preventing infection (but still reasonably effective at preventing serious illness). However, even though the statistics are better for Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, I think the situation clearly underscores the need to continue to be vigilant and careful even after you've been fully vaccinated.

60% fully vaccinated is NOT yet "herd immunity". We need to get to 75-80% or greater to achieve that. In the U.S., unfortunately, I do not believe that will happen from vaccine alone. Too many people are unwilling to get the vaccine.

We may reach herd immunity in the U.S. once more of the unvaccinated have been infected. But how many will die because of vaccine hesitancy and how long will it take?

My wife and I don't want to be part of the problem. While it is true we are enjoying a limited and controlled amount of return to "normalcy", we do not feel it is yet safe to meet in large groups in indoor spaces, even if everyone in the group is fully vaccinated. At least, not without masks (double masks).

My magic club is discussing the idea of meeting in person again starting in July. The meeting would be held at someone's home. The decision depends on what happens with regard to state & county guidelines in the next several weeks.

Since vaccination rates are slowing, WELL before we've gotten remotely close to herd immunity, I fear we are going to be in a spike situation (just like Seychelles) by July. Fingers crossed that I am wrong.

Mark

I think my state is only around 30-35% fully vaccinated and interest in being protected has really waned. It’s sad, really.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I had my second Pfizer shot yesterday morning. Arm got more sore through the day and still sore today but no other ill-effects. The thing that has most worried me was not being able to travel back to England if something happened to any of my family over there. Being fully vaccinated (and all full steam two weeks from now) is an enormous relief. I hope everyone who can get vaccinated does get vaccinated. And quickly. Very grateful to be done. My wife will get her first shot next week, and while we have a soon-to-be 9 year old son with no timetable on when he’ll be eligible (and he is very high risk due to his Down syndrome diagnosis), I am more optimistic right now than I have been in quite some time. Hoping decency, common sense, and science help the world win the day!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For anyone in NY, it appears that all of the state run vaccination sites as well as the pharmacy chains providing vaccination are now accepting walk-ins for all age groups approved to take the vaccine. The pharmacy thing may not be limited to NY.

If you’re someone who has waiting because you’ve been wanting to give other higher risk people a chance to go - there’s no need to do that anymore, go get it!

If you’re someone who has been waiting because the online sign up system has been difficult to navigate - there’s no need to sign up online anymore, just go and get it!

If you’re someone who just wants to hear anecdotal experiences from other humans that it’s safe - my mom and stepdad got Pfizer in January and they’re fine! My dad and stepmom got Johnson & Johnson in March and they’re fine! My wife and I got Moderna in March/April and we’re fine!

Today is a great day to get a vaccine if you’re in NY!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
For anyone in NY, it appears that all of the state run vaccination sites as well as the pharmacy chains providing vaccination are now accepting walk-ins for all age groups approved to take the vaccine. The pharmacy thing may not be limited to NY.

If you’re someone who has waiting because you’ve been wanting to give other higher risk people a chance to go - there’s no need to do that anymore, go get it!

If you’re someone who has been waiting because the online sign up system has been difficult to navigate - there’s no need to sign up online anymore, just go and get it!

If you’re someone who just wants to hear anecdotal experiences from other humans that it’s safe - my mom and stepdad got Pfizer in January and they’re fine! My dad and stepmom got Johnson & Johnson in March and they’re fine! My wife and I got Moderna in March/April and we’re fine!

Today is a great day to get a vaccine if you’re in NY!

I don't know how true that really is in practice... at least for now...

I actually tried to walk-in at my local RiteAid here in Brooklyn a couple days ago and was rejected -- the pharmacy person said I still needed to schedule online... and that seems apparently so... though there's a chance that there are openings on any given day, but none on the day I tried.

_Man_

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't know how true that really is in practice... at least for now...

I actually tried to walk-in at my local RiteAid here in Brooklyn a couple days ago and was rejected -- the pharmacy person said I still needed to schedule online... and that seems apparently so... though there's a chance that there are openings on any given day, but none on the day I tried.

_Man_

I’m sorry, that could be an error on my part. I believe I read that CVS and Walmart now accept walkins and read that all vaccination sites were being asked to prepare to transition to walk ins and must’ve conflated the two. The state run sites have all been directed to take walk ins as well.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I’m sorry, that could be an error on my part. I believe I read that CVS and Walmart now accept walkins and read that all vaccination sites were being asked to prepare to transition to walk ins and must’ve conflated the two. The state run sites have all been directed to take walk ins as well.

RiteAid announced similarly several days ago, but... I found it not quite true in actual practice... at least not so far anyway... unless you go to one w/ too few people booking vaccinations perhaps I guess...

_Man_

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I had my second Pfizer shot yesterday morning. Arm got more sore through the day and still sore today but no other ill-effects. The thing that has most worried me was not being able to travel back to England if something happened to any of my family over there. Being fully vaccinated (and all full steam two weeks from now) is an enormous relief. I hope everyone who can get vaccinated does get vaccinated. And quickly. Very grateful to be done. My wife will get her first shot next week, and while we have a soon-to-be 9 year old son with no timetable on when he’ll be eligible (and he is very high risk due to his Down syndrome diagnosis), I am more optimistic right now than I have been in quite some time. Hoping decency, common sense, and science help the world win the day!
Neil, good luck with that sentiment! All 3 things are sorely absent from a large swath of the citizenry.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Someone posted in a vaccine thread on a different site that he was in a drug store yesterday and heard an announcement over the PA that COVID vaccines were available at the pharmacy on a walk-up basis. :thumbsup:

In other news... We received statements from Medicare regarding our vaccines. We got our vaccines outside of our normal HMO. The vaccine clinic was conducted by a local CVS store. CVS billed Medicare roughly $28 for each vaccine.

Mark

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Locations in NY have discovered that a bribe works to get more people vaccinated: offer free beer!

The promotion was called “A Shot and a Chaser” and was held at a local microbrewery. Reportedly there was a line out the door before the place opened at 11 a.m. Vaccine techs were injecting people just a few feet away from the massive vats in which the business’s product was being made. They ended up inoculating around 150 people that day while other local vaccination sites are down to single digits daily.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
And now I am officially hopeful for at least my local area. Let’s hope that announcing this possibility spurs those that have yet to get the vaccine to do so, versus making them sit on their laurels…

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Locations in NY have discovered that a bribe works to get more people vaccinated: offer free beer!

New Jersey

Wisconsin

West Virginia gives $100

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks