B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The New York Yankees are dealing with a Covid outbreak with their coaching staff even though those coaches have been fully vaccinated. That's a concern!
Depending on the vaccine, there's a percentage of efficacy in adults. The concern is for those people who still get COVID 19 within those percentages. The consensus among medical professionals is that the vaccine gives better outcomes than no vaccine. (Reportedly the Pfizer vaccine is 100% effective in 12-16 year olds).

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
The New York Yankees are dealing with a Covid outbreak with their coaching staff even though those coaches have been fully vaccinated. That's a concern!
This is indeed an area of concern. Given how we’d earlier heard of only 5800 of 6M breakthrough cases (which they admitted were probably underreported so the vaccines aren’t necessarily 99.98% effective) it’s a big worry that two cases happened on the same team which had exceeded the 85% vaccination rate that MLB had set to allow them to relax protocols. What will be of most interest now is:

1. What variant is it? Is it a known one in the US or is it the ones ravaging India and Brazil?

2. Severity of the symptoms. Coaches tend to be older (though nowadays that can mean 30s to 80s). We knew the vaccines weren’t bulletproof but studies showed even those who got it had way milder symptoms than those requiring ventilators and dying from it.

We need to know #1 as part of our data gathering to see if the new variants can more easily evade the vaccines. And we need to know #2 to make sure the vaccines are still conferring some level of protection against the most severe outcomes.

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
On mixed good news/bad news front. Los Angeles just announced appointment free vaccines for any of the county’s vaccination sites. That’s the good news.

The bad news is they’ve been able to do it because, just like with the nation, demand for vaccine has waned despite that only 48% of county residents have at least one shot and only 35% are fully vaccinated (this is of the total population so it includes children who are not yet eligible).

They’re also extending some hours of certain locations so those that may work long/odd hours will have a chance to get theirs. At least they’ve eliminated the tech barrier for those who couldn’t do electronic appointments (and as someone who got dose 1 at a mega site, the online system was…not awesome).

David Norman

Premium
I'm not sure of the details of the 99.98% number, but everything I read early in the Pfizer and Moderna trials was max 95%
and even that wasn't infections, but disease.

I thought that was one of reasons for the suggestion of continuing the mask wearing after vaccination since the vaccine was mainly to prevent mod and severe disease, but not expected to totally prevent asymptomatic infections or even very mild infections.

6000 cases of breakthrough in 6M doses but with little disease would be also be a bit of false number given that the situation of those 6M people randomly living their life with varying amt of contact and precautions. I'm not exactly sure how you'd do a control group of 6M unvaccinated people doing the exact same thing in the same time period to know exactly the change in infection rate

Regardless - that's very likely not the same situation as a group of 100 people travelling on enclosed planes, enclosed meeting/training/conference rooms, close contact, etc. So far I haven't read of any of the positive individuals actually being ill (same with Tatis Jr and the Padres outbreak).

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Yes the people running the numbers were clear that the 6000/6M was simply the number reported, which in no way is comprehensive because I'm sure there were many more who would have tested positive but were asymptomatic and never bothered to get tested.

As I summed in my previous post, the most important data we can get from the Yankee coaches (and other breakthrough infections nationwide) is 1) the variant that broke through, and 2) the severity of disease (asymptomatic, mild, moderate, etc.).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Depending on the vaccine, there's a percentage of efficacy in adults. The concern is for those people who still get COVID 19 within those percentages. The consensus among medical professionals is that the vaccine gives better outcomes than no vaccine. (Reportedly the Pfizer vaccine is 100% effective in 12-16 year olds).
That's why I didn't want the J&J vaccine as it's effectiveness against getting Covid is less than Pfizer which I got and Moderna.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
This is indeed an area of concern. Given how we’d earlier heard of only 5800 of 6M breakthrough cases (which they admitted were probably underreported so the vaccines aren’t necessarily 99.98% effective) it’s a big worry that two cases happened on the same team which had exceeded the 85% vaccination rate that MLB had set to allow them to relax protocols. What will be of most interest now is:

1. What variant is it? Is it a known one in the US or is it the ones ravaging India and Brazil?

2. Severity of the symptoms. Coaches tend to be older (though nowadays that can mean 30s to 80s). We knew the vaccines weren’t bulletproof but studies showed even those who got it had way milder symptoms than those requiring ventilators and dying from it.

We need to know #1 as part of our data gathering to see if the new variants can more easily evade the vaccines. And we need to know #2 to make sure the vaccines are still conferring some level of protection against the most severe outcomes.
My fear is that people, who are fully vaccinated are letting their guard down and are not wearing masks and doing social distancing. I'm afraid the number of full vaccinated people getting Covid and spreading it, will increase in numbers because they think they're good to go and are being careless with how they interact with other people. I see it with comments on this board.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I'm not sure of the details of the 99.98% number, but everything I read early in the Pfizer and Moderna trials was max 95%
and even that wasn't infections, but disease.

I thought that was one of reasons for the suggestion of continuing the mask wearing after vaccination since the vaccine was mainly to prevent mod and severe disease, but not expected to totally prevent asymptomatic infections or even very mild infections.

6000 cases of breakthrough in 6M doses but with little disease would be also be a bit of false number given that the situation of those 6M people randomly living their life with varying amt of contact and precautions. I'm not exactly sure how you'd do a control group of 6M unvaccinated people doing the exact same thing in the same time period to know exactly the change in infection rate

Regardless - that's very likely not the same situation as a group of 100 people travelling on enclosed planes, enclosed meeting/training/conference rooms, close contact, etc. So far I haven't read of any of the positive individuals actually being ill (same with Tatis Jr and the Padres outbreak).
I'm not worry about fully vaccinated people getting severely sick, but I am worry about them spreading the virus and thus, increasing the number of variants of it which could be a major issue down the road.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
To quote Han Solo, I feel terrible.

So far the side effects I’m experiencing after my second Pfizer shot from yesterday is slight body aches and chills since last night. I had some headache come and go. Seems pretty mild compared to others I’ve seen on this thread. But I still feel terrible!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
To quote Han Solo, I feel terrible.

So far the side effects I’m experiencing after my second Pfizer shot from yesterday is slight body aches and chills since last night. I had some headache come and go. Seems pretty mild compared to others I’ve seen on this thread. But I still feel terrible!
Did you by chance, take anything for your side effects, either before (As a preventative), or after (To mitigate the side effects) your sides effects started?

I hope you feel better soon!

CHEERS! :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Did you by chance, take anything for your side effects, either before (As a preventative), or after (To mitigate the side effects) your sides effects started?

I hope you feel better soon!

Our state vaccine dashboard recommends NOT taking anything prior to the vaccine, but says if you have side effects after you can take something.

What to do about side effects:

• After your vaccine, you can take pain relievers for any side effects you may have from the vaccine to help you feel better. Don't take them before you get the vaccine to prevent side effects.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Hey Tony, thanks for the input. I didn’t take anything before or after. I was going to tough it out! 😀

I have some Tylenol. I rarely ever take anything for pain. But it’s there if I need it.
I thought about taking something for my achy arm, but by the time I considered searching for the ibuprofen it started to feel better.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Our state vaccine dashboard recommends NOT taking anything prior to the vaccine, but says if you have side effects after you can take something.
Our son took his yesterday after getting the vaccine, but before there were any side effects, which so far, has ended up being a sore arm, nothing more.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
As I suspected most of the Yankees were given the J&J vaccine. People still need to be careful despite being fully vaccinated as I think the vaccine data is still a fluid situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moviefan88