The COVID Vaccination Thread (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I received the Moderna variant of the COVID-19 vaccination today. As a frontline worker it was offered almost immediately. It should be noted that I am generally not a fan of vaccinations. I've never even had a flu shot and I've also never had the flu. In this case however, I felt it was my societal obligation as even asymptomatic individuals can potentially transmit the virus to other individuals, some of whom may be high risk.

The purpose of this thread is not to discuss the merits of whether or not you should get the vaccine as that might possibly venture into forbidden territory. Instead, I thought it would be a good idea to have a dedicated thread where those of us who do opt for vaccination can discuss our individual experiences in hopes of educating others.

In my case I felt some very minor injection site soreness, which is still present [5 hours later] but hardly noticeable at this point, that's it. I was held for 15 minutes after receiving the injection for observation and then released. I will return in 30 days for the second and final injection. The Pfizer variant also requires two individual doses but I believe the waiting period between the two is only 3 weeks.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Plan on seeing my physician later this week and one of the topics I will be broaching is getting on a list to receive vaccination against COVID-19. ( I have no idea when I will be able to receive the vaccination, but I believe I fit in the second tier of candidates, so it may be awhile.)

- Walter.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Glad to hear. I've read that some people experience more effects such as short-term fever or body aches.

I get the flu vaccine every year without any side effects, so hopefully this will be the same.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Most of the people I know who've gotten a vaccine have had extremely minor side effects. From a little soreness for less than an hour, to a little fatigue the next day or so.

I'm tier 3, so it'll probably be mid to late Spring before I can get stuck.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My brother-in-law is an ObyGyn - got the Pfizer (I think - whichever one was first approved). He said it stung a bit going in but otherwise no issues unless he hit his arm at the injection site. He said that area was a bit tender for a couple of days but nothing major.

I work IT in education with a primary building responsibility at an elementary (~600 students, ~60 staff) that I'm in for at least 3 hours a day, plus I'm 65. Even though I'm in that building I can avoid people as I can remote into any computer needing "help" and arrive a good half hour before anyone else to take care of anything that might be needed to be done in a classroom. While I have a 2nd office across town where I normally spend the bulk of my time it's shared with 2 other techs, one of whom is *not* being "safe" IMHO (went to an amusement park over Thanksgiving, goes to the club a couple or three nights a week, has said on more than one occasion he doesn't think masks really help - and his wife *is a nurse* in a local hospital!! You'd think he'd be "smarter" about things!) so I'm avoiding that office as much as possible. My wife suffers from chemical induced asthma (smells/odors can be major triggers) and has dozens of allergies (I give her an allergy shot every week).

I'll be getting whichever is offered here at first opportunity. I, too, don't normally get a flu shot (have had the flu 3 times in 20 years with all 3 times apparently gotten from taking care of a grandkid who had the flu). I got the flu vaccination this year "just because." Having turned 65 since my last checkup I also got the pneumonia vaccination a couple of weeks prior to the flu shot.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
and his wife *is a nurse* in a local hospital!! You'd think they'd be "smarter" about things!) so I'm avoiding that office as much as possible.

I'm sure SHE is and the issue is HE is not listening. I work with many nurses and not a single one would ever say a thing like that. Our nurses are on the front lines and deserve the highest commendation. I understand you weren't suggesting otherwise

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
No shot for me. Never received a flu shot and am not about to get this.

I totally understand this sentiment. I've also never had the flu or a flu shot. Normally I would feel the same but, in this case, [as I understand it] even an asymptomatic person can be a carrier and potentially infect someone else who might be at risk. Not questioning your decision at all though, just explaining mine.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Normally I would feel the same but, in this case, [as I understand it] even an asymptomatic person can be a carrier and potentially infect someone else who might be at risk.

That’s exactly right. The most insidious thing about this virus is that you can be sick without ever knowing it, and still pass it on to people who will die from it without ever knowing.

I have no clue when I’ll be able to get it, but my stepfather (a frontline worker in the hospital) got the first shot a couple weeks ago and has reported no side effects. I’m so glad that he was able to get it. I’ve been worried about everyone I know throughout all this but especially concerned for those I know who work in hospitals and that news came as a bit of relief to the whole family.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I'm eagerly awaiting my chance to get vaccinated here. I'm in Phase 1b here in Texas, as someone under 65, but with a Class 1 condition (I'm a type 1 diabetic). They are all very much taking the approach of don't call us, we'll call you. So i'm just being patient and hoping to hear something in the near future.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That’s exactly right. The most insidious thing about this virus is that you can be sick without ever knowing it, and still pass it on to people who will die from it without ever knowing.
That really is my primary motivation, as well as understanding what vaccines actually are and how they work. Early on I was anticipating that developments would be made due to this pandemic that would benefit us all going forward, and that seems to be the case. I just like the approach of mRNA vaccines from a scientific standpoint. I'm also concerned for my own health. The type of "FEBM" (I won't spell it out. Just take a guess.) attitude I see a lot of just doesn't flush in my book. So, I'll be getting it, preferably an mRNA variety, which it's available to me.

I have to say, I have only gotten the flu vaccine a couple times in my adult years. During the last five years or so, every winter I seem to be chronically under the weather. Not exactly sick, but like I'm fighting something. This year I made a point of getting the flu shot as soon as I could (mid August), and I feel better than I have in years during winter. The first time in a while I don't feel like I'm constantly on the verge of getting sick. Could be coincidence, but seems like a big one.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
My wife and I are scheduled to get it this Saturday. We have to drive about an hour and a half twice and we spent all day working on getting scheduled but at last we are on our way. We realize that the only way this madness can end is with a vaccination.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm under 65, no underlying conditions, in a job that doesn't require regular contact with the general public, so it's going to be a while for me -- hopefully by late summer.

I'm hoping my parents can get it sooner; my mother is a lung cancer survivor with half of one lung removed and half of the other lung ruined by radiation, while my father just turned 70 and has COPD and is borderline for diabetes.

New York State hasn't done a great job so far with the distribution, but all of my friends who work in the medical field have gotten their first dose so it is moving forward.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I also have never had a flu vaccine before and haven't ever had the (at least recognized/suspected or full-blown) flu since my college days ~30 years ago. But I'm not generally against vaccination (at least for serious diseases) though.

Will likely get vaccinated for this whenever distribution/availability go wide (enough), especially as the vaccines become more proven, hopefully by summer... as nobody in our immediate family falls into the high risk nor frontline groups -- I did have a stroke almost 2 years ago, but probably no longer at risk enough for expedited treatment despite high cholesterol and moderately high blood pressure.

I did just get PCR tested again today along w/ our youngest in large part because that's needed for her hybrid in-person music school arrangements -- she's otherwise just doing full remote for regular school education. IMHO, good to get tested once in a while (particularly at strategic points), especially since my wife does have to get out nearly daily for modest, but needed, work projects and various errands... even though I'm basically just stay-at-home...

I got that in April, so I'm not sure it counts. The second dose is on the way to me as we speak.

My 2nd dose of that should be coming in a few days as well (I assume)... :cool: but aren't you actually on your 100th dose by now? ;):D

_Man_

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
haven't ever had the (at least recognized/suspected or full-blown) flu

I feel like full blown flu is one of those things where if you get it, you KNOW you have it. Last had it at the start of 2015 and I still remember how miserable I felt. Wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks