What's new

The COVID Vaccination Thread (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow the number is now 7 for the Yankees with 6 being asymptomatic. Hopefully the one that is, is very mild. While this is good news from a scientific perspective (meaning that even if you get covid after the vaccine it’s either not going to affect you or do so very mildly) I can’t help but think this is going to be a black eye for J&J. With the issues going on with the AZ vaccine, people may start to insist on mRNA or nothing.

Per my previous post I’m still interested in the variant that they tested positive for, as well as future details on if the six remain asymptomatic (as we know it can take 14 days to show symptoms) and the severity of disease for the one who was symptomatic, assuming the patients are willing to share the data.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've always been a little skeptical of the percentage efficacy all of these vaccines brag about, as my understanding from the trials is that the people participating were not purposely exposed to the virus to directly test the efficacy, but it was left to happenstance as they went about their regular daily activities as to whether they'd cross paths with the virus or not. It seems like a good many of them might have just avoided the virus whether or not they were vaccinated.

I managed to avoid it for over a year before vaccination by just following general precautions while still going shopping, eating in restaurants, and working at my office daily with a small number of other people. At least I'm guessing I avoided it. If not, I was completely asymptomatic (I've never had any reason to be tested).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
You know, obviously on the one hand you never want anyone to get sick or catch a contagious virus, but on the other hand - on some level this means the vaccine is working. There’s no guarantee in this life that we’ll live it in the total absence of illness. But if the vaccine means, yes, you can get it but you’ll either be symptomatic or mildly ill for a brief period, that’s a huge win over where we were a year ago.

The trick now becomes getting more people vaccinated so that we can live in a world where a new covid outbreak becomes as much of a non event as people getting a cold is.

I’d love to never catch this in any form. But if me being vaccinated means that I eventually get it but never feel a thing, and if everyone around me is vaccinated so that their worst case is they don’t feel a thing either, that’s gotta be an overall win.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Sounds like the CDC is about to lift the mask mandate for fully vaccinated individuals (Except in crowded indoor settings).

I've always been a little skeptical of the percentage efficacy all of these vaccines brag about, as my understanding from the trials is that the people participating were not purposely exposed to the virus to directly test the efficacy, but it was left to happenstance as they went about their regular daily activities as to whether they'd cross paths with the virus or not. It seems like a good many of them might have just avoided the virus whether or not they were vaccinated.

They compare with people enrolled in the trial that unknowingly received a placebo injection.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sounds like the CDC is about to lift the mask mandate for fully vaccinated individuals (Except in crowded indoor settings).
Which basically lifts it for everyone, everywhere, as anyone who is unvaccinated but also doesn't want to wear a mask will just claim to be vaccinated as there's no definitive way to prove it. Though most places wouldn't ask anyway.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Which basically lifts it for everyone, everywhere, as anyone who is unvaccinated but also doesn't want to wear a mask will just claim to be vaccinated as there's no definitive way to prove it. Though most places wouldn't ask anyway.
Fully agree this will happen and IMO is the ultimate act of cowardice and deception. If you're truly an antivaxxer (and I don't mean those who truly have an allergy and can't take it, I mean the "I'm not getting one and you can't make me because this is all a scamdemic" crowd) then own it. Don't lie and say you got it. Or worse, get a fake vax card (which I'm glad authorities are cracking down on). That just makes them a coward and a liar.

EDIT - let me acknowledge there's also a sizable portion of "vaccine hesitant" for numerous valid reasons, including past abuses by the medical and government community. To those we owe a more targeted and compassionate outreach and, in some cases, an outright apology tour for past transgressions. I'm solely referring to the "scamdemic" crowd in my commentary.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Fully agree this will happen and IMO is the ultimate act of cowardice and deception. If you're truly an antivaxxer (and I don't mean those who truly have an allergy and can't take it, I mean the "I'm not getting one and you can't make me because this is all a scamdemic" crowd) then own it. Don't lie and say you got it. Or worse, get a fake vax card (which I'm glad authorities are cracking down on). That just makes them a coward and a liar.
Agreed. I assume the CDC knows that stupid assholes are going to lie about being vaccinated and have taken that into account when giving their recommendation but I'm still wearing a mask when I go places for the time being (I've got until the end of the month before I'm fully vaccinated anyway). If cases stay down after some time when people are mostly maskless, I'll be more inclined to loosen up.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I thought it would be a good idea to have a dedicated thread where those of us who do opt for vaccination can discuss our individual experiences in hopes of educating others.

My mother and I are now both fully vaccinated (two doses of Pfizer vaccine + more than two weeks since the last dose).

Both of us had our first vaccination done at a clinic in the back of the main hospital here. A very smooth, easy process once you managed to get an online appointment – getting those was the hardest part, as slots tended to fill up within 30 minutes of e-mail availability announcements. As part of a first visit, the hospital clinic made an appointment for the second shot so there were no worries of not being able to get it.

My mother experienced at most mild effects. I had some pain in my arm at the injection site for a day or two after the first shot; no other side effects and no real effects after the second shot (which I got a day late, while hospitalized).

All in all, a very pleasant experience and about the best that you could hope for, for any type of immunization. Not like the experience of seniors in another state who a TV news clip showed lined up for hours/overnight for a first-come, first-served (no appointment) vaccination. Many of them waited and waited and waited and still missed out on the limited supply of shots.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Didn't everyone who got vaccinated get a vaccination card? I suppose this could cause a black market for vaccination cards but at least, it's some kind of proof.

Personally, I like the idea of strangers standing 6 feet away from me. The hygiene of the general populace is appalling (bad breath, body odor, coughing and sneezing without covering their mouth, etc.)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My household will remain extra cautious until the vaccine is available for our young children. We’ve been at this so long that another few months isn’t that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. We’re excited to resume outdoor dining and small indoor gatherings with vaccinated friends and relatives, but we’ll wait to do indoor dining or activities with large crowds until the kids are protected too. Still, now that our household adults are vaccinated, being able to have visits with vaccinated friends, and going for an outdoor dinner on a nice summer night will be really nice and we’re already making plans for those types of activities.

My wife and I are planning to go out to dinner tomorrow. First time since February 2020. As the household cook, I’m doubly excited - it’s date night and I get the night off from cooking!

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Didn't everyone who got vaccinated get a vaccination card? I suppose this could cause a black market for vaccination cards but at least, it's some kind of proof.
I did, and there are also records of the vaccinations in my MyChart (online medical information portal) account.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Personally, I like the idea of strangers standing 6 feet away from me. The hygiene of the general populace is appalling (bad breath, body odor, coughing and sneezing without covering their mouth, etc.)

At least you weren't waiting in line at a Virginia university for a used laptop a few years ago. One woman needed to do #1 badly, but didn't want to lose her chance to get a "bargain", so she stayed in line and wet herself!

Pity the person waiting in line directly behind her …

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
At least you weren't waiting in line at a Virginia university for a used laptop a few years ago. One woman needed to do #1 badly, but didn't want to lose her chance to get a "bargain", so she stayed in line and wet herself!

Pity the person waiting in line directly behind her …
I've been in that situation a few times myself but I just ask the person in front or behind me to please hold my place in line and that I'll be right back.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I did, and there are also records of the vaccinations in my MyChart (online medical information portal) account.

Yup. I scanned my card right after my second shot, and sent it to my doctor's office through their portal. I also notified all of my other medical professionals (including dentist).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Despite this latest CDC directive, I’m still going to wear a mask for the foreseeable future as I want to see the infection rates after people stop wearing masks.
Today, the starting shortstop for the NY Yankees tested positive for Covid, even though, he was infected beforehand in December and has since been fully vaccinated in mid-April. I'm pretty sure he had that J&J vaccine because it requires only one shot. Another reason why I'm going to stay vigilant with social distancing and wearing a mask.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah but there's no realistic way that businesses will check that. I know if I was making $8.50 as a Wal Mart greeter, I wouldn't find ways to have all those newly minted Constitutional scholars out there shrieking at me about their rights.

In other words, it's the honor system and honor has been in short supply for the last few years.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Today, the starting shortstop for the NY Yankees tested positive for Covid, even though, he was infected beforehand in December and has since been fully vaccinated in mid-April. I'm pretty sure he had that J&J vaccine because it requires only one shot. Another reason why I'm going to stay vigilant with social distancing and wearing a mask.
All these cases in one specific group would have me wondering if there was something wrong with the vaccine they received, if they received the wrong dose, or if they received the actual vaccine at all.

I'm guessing this was a case where they brought someone in to vaccinate the entire workplace, rather than everyone arranging their own individual appointments.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
All these cased in one specific group would have me wondering if there was something wrong with the vaccine they received, if they received the wrong dose, or if they received the actual vaccine at all.

I'm guessing this was a case where they brought someone in to vaccinate the entire workplace, rather than everyone arranging their own individual appointments.
The vaccinated the team before, during and after a game. I was watching that particular game on TV that was at Yankee Stadium.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks