What's new

The COVID Vaccination Thread (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
It's moronic things like this that will doom us all. Unfortunately, there's no vaccine for stupid, and if there was the people that needed it the most wouldn't take it anyway:

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/intern...sinformation-finds-home-social-media-n1267310
Hey, millions of people still smoke cigarettes. Smoking still kills many more people than Covid.

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
In perhaps the most bizarre twist to this saga so far, anti-vaxxers (which overlap strongly with anti-maskers) who are concerned about the (completely fake) stories of vaccinated persons shedding the vaccine are now considering wearing masks to protect themselves from the vaccinated!

I sheet you not!

So, these people refused to wear a mask to slow the spread of the virus (which is real) but are considering putting on a mask to protect against vaccine shedding (which is fake). :oops:

You can't make this sheet up.

Mark

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
In perhaps the most bizarre twist to this saga so far, anti-vaxxers (which overlap strongly with anti-maskers) who are concerned about the (completely fake) stories of vaccinated persons shedding the vaccine are now considering wearing masks to protect themselves from the vaccinated!

I sheet you not!

So, these people refused to wear a mask to slow the spread of the virus (which is real) but are considering putting on a mask to protect against vaccine shedding (which is fake). :oops:

Mark
YIKES!!!! :rolleyes: :wacko:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

I sheet you not!

Mark

Hey, millions of people still smoke cigarettes. Smoking still kills many more people than Covid.

That's true, but apart from close proximity to second hand smoke which is proven to have horrible effects in the long run, it's not instantaneously contagious! Non smokers wearing a mask in that scenario would probably benefit in the long term, come to think of it.

CHEERS! :)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Analogy: There is a bacterial infection called C. diff that is a problem, especially in hospitals, because natural selection + exposure to many antibiiotics has left the surviving bacteria very resistant to multiple antibiotics.

One of my sisters had a C. diff infection. She died after being in hospital for four months. I wouldn't want to wish it on my worst enemy.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
But the CDC guidance isn’t law either. States and individual businesses can wait longer and I wonder if any will.

In NH, several businesses still insist on customers wearing masks and not crowding. One of them here in Concord (our indie bookstore) even has a big sign at the entrance saying "Masks MUST cover BOTH nose AND mouth". Our local Wal-Mart, however, seems to be letting mask-less customers shop.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

I sheet you not!

Mark

« Another prominent anti-vaxxer suggested quarantining people who have been vaccinated. “There is something being passed from people who are shot up with this poison to others who have not gotten the shot,” said Larry Palevsky, a New York pediatrician and anti-vaxxer, on a separate livestream. They should also “have a badge on their arms that say ‘I've been vaccinated even though it's not a vaccine’ so that we know to avoid them on the street, to not go near them anywhere in society,” he said. »

If it'll keep those nut-bags away from me, I'll be happy to wear such a badge.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Even that I believe is incorrect, but as mentioned not very equivalent anyway just due to the length of time it takes

US numbers
480K including approx 40K 2nd hand smoke vs minimum 600K and likely closer to 800-900K COVID accounting for significant undercounting (unintentional and intentional) in just over a year.

I guess the 40K could be the more equivalent number to COVID exposure since there is a bit of choice (for non children it is an avoidable issue) and belief system involved with that. There is even intentional cost/benefit for those that do believe in second hand smoke problems

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I have to admit, I was surprised to see so many retailers coming out still enforcing their own mask mandates. Especially when most of the signs I saw walking into stores said "Due to local/state requirements, wear a mask".

Now that the state has dropped the mask mandate, it's actually more confusing now.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There's no way to definitively and accurately enforce the vaccinated vs. unvaccinated distinction, so I'm not really sure why any retailers think it's a good idea to keep the mandate given that federal and most state guidance now allows people to go maskless. That's a potential argument with every unmasked person entering their business.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
In NH, when the state cancelled its mandate, it specifically said that businesses -- as well as cities and towns -- could continue to require masks and distancing if they chose.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They can try, but as noted that triggers a potential conflict with every maskless person claiming federal and state regulations say they don't need to wear one. I'd think that would become tiresome very quickly, if not potentially dangerous with some people.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Oh, no doubt. My point is that if a business here wants to enforce its own mandate, they are allowed to by the state. And they can point to the state's, ah, statement that businesses are allowed to do so. I suspect that the "tiresome" issue will cause most businesses to not enforce it, but according to the state, they can.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It's like the "No shirt, no shoes, no service" signs that used to be up everywhere around here (the South - where in the summer many "manly men" use to go almost everywhere shirtless and shoeless). I've seen that one being enforced. Years (like in 20+) ago we had a local hippie type who never wore shoes (summer or winter - taught at the local college). Hastings stopped him at the door and told him to put on shoes or leave. After that he started carrying flip flops in his car just in case and I'd see him on occasion in stores with them on. In today's climate of "I'll do what I want and you can't stop me" I can see that going down poorly for the store.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It's like the "No shirt, no shoes, no service" signs that used to be up everywhere around here (the South - where in the summer many "manly men" use to go almost everywhere shirtless and shoeless).

Not just in the South. Such signs were all over the place here in New England.

The thing is that stores are allowed (or should be allowed) to bar anyone for health reasons. The "No shirt, no shoes, no service" thing is the most obvious, but it also means prohibiting people from smoking in the store, or bringing in pets (except for service animals), or probably barring anyone who seems to have not taken a bath in months.

The only difference now is that Covid had quickly become a political issue, whereas those other things didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks