What's new

The autonomous (self driving) car buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The driver may or may not have been watching Harry Potter at the time.

Makes you think about what movie you choose to watch on an airplane, since it's possible it could be your last.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Is there something to put that in context. I don't know if BIG NUMBER is actually impressive or not, when compared to say miles driven by Subaru or Toyota cars.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that in 2014 there were 1.08 fatalities for every 100 million vehicle miles traveled, which equates to a fatality roughly every 92.6 million vehicle miles. So, statistically speaking, an argument could be made for the Tesla's auto-driver feature still being nearly twice as safe as a human driver.

However, there's obviously a ton more data backing the NHTSA numbers than the Tesla numbers. It's also unlikely that the Tesla vehicle miles traveled mirror the conditions of the human-driven vehicles miles traveled, since I would imagine that drivers are more likely to engage the auto driver feature when driving conditions are relatively straightforward, and less likely to engage the auto driver feature when driving conditions are complicated -- downtown city driving, for instance, or really bad weather.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I sincerely hope not.

I love how people think that a little technology will erase all problems - they seem to forget that technology is created by humans.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
That's all well and good until a kink gets "worked out" via an accident involving your family.

If the government can require me to take a driver's test to get a license, they can durn well set some standards for robots to do the same.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
That's all well and good until a kink gets "worked out" via an accident involving your family.

If the government can require me to take a driver's test to get a license, they can durn well set some standards for robots to do the same.

And that's all that's needed - tests showing that the vehicle can handle the most likely type of scenarios. And the tests can be stringent. But you'd get that from the manufacturers anyway - they need to show the public that their product(s) is safe. No, what they want is control.

Also, they want ALL states to adopt these rules; that again is not their purview - states should decide on their own any regulations regarding driverless vehicles.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Manufacturers can't even be trusted to be honest with their mileage ratings; what makes you think they'd be particularly stringent with robot tests?

Also, having different regulations from state to state is lunacy. Imagine not being able to drive -- whoops, I mean "ride" :) -- to another state because your car isn't legal there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks