What's new

The autonomous (self driving) car buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yeah we've seen many discussions of the so called Trolley Problem. One way to avoid it: Don't even consider them at all. It seems the only way that they can avoid falling into a lawsuit trap. Just do the best you can regardless of other life considerations.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I just discovered some interesting videos about Comma Two, running open source software Openpilot. For 1000 bucks, you can turn any one of 63 different car models into a level 2 self driving car:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This will be a watershed moment or a big joke.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Tesla’s Exciting Q3 Numbers… And Chronic Flaw | by Jean-Louis Gassée | Oct, 2020 | Monday Note
There might be a cloud, however, in this sunny picture. Specifically, I can’t understand why Musk continues to flog what he blithely calls a “Full Self Driving” (FSD) vehicle.

It’s commonly acknowledged — by everyone except Musk, apparently — that a fully autonomous vehicle is one that can drive itself from point A to point B without any human intervention. This is what car geeks call Level 5 automation, but that’s not what Tesla offers under the “Full Self Driving” designation. In today’s Tesla vehicles, an attentive driver is always required, and the company has no credible path to eliminating the human at the wheel.

One can’t help wonder when — not if — the NHTSA (National Highway Transportation Safety Authority) will intervene. Without a doubt, Tesla offers sophisticated driver assistance technology…but why not call it just that: Driving Assistance, or some hyperbolic but still truthful variation? It’s one thing to exaggerate a little or a lot about delivery schedules, it’s another to promise Full Self Driving that isn’t. Tesla’s brilliant performance doesn’t need that excess.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I would never have my car drive it's self. Maybe in the future when all the issues have been taken care of.

Uh huh, and what about the millions of people who are going to have self driving cars zipping around you before you are comfortable with them?

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Uh huh, and what about the millions of people who are going to have self driving cars zipping around you before you are comfortable with them?
I feel like that is a looonng time off yet. Still seems like a solution looking for a problem to me.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I’m just saying that you aren’t going to be given a choice to live in this world or not. The tech is here today and it’s flawed. And despite those flaws and people’s misgivings it’s not up to others whether it can be used around them.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tesla calling a semi-autonomous driving software "full self driving" is not only misleading; it is bordering on fraudulent and is deadly, because the word full suggests to people that the car is fully capable of driving itself without human attention or intervention.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
We’re still a long way from safe, fully-autonomous cars, regardless of what Elon Musk says. The simple truth of the matter is that human drivers are too unpredictable and don’t mix well with self-driving cars. Also, self driving cars can still be completely stymied by a kid with a fake stop sign or a piece of chalk.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks