What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Apple Vision Pro buyers and owners thread (2 Viewers)

Robert Saccone

Premium
Does VP place windows in an absolute or relative sense?

Start it up from say the office and put about bunch of windows around the house, then the next day start up in say the kitchen, is everything in the same locations are are they all shifted relative to the kitchen now?

Or: If you use it in your home office. Then shut down, fly cross country, and start up in the next day in your remote office, are all your windows 3000 miles away? Or are they in the same place relative to you in the new location?
Good questions. I am not sure at this point. However my gut tells me that if I put the device to sleep instead of shutting it down I expect it to leave things running as they are where they are. The caveat might be a large change in geography along the lines. When you disconnect the power from the VP it shuts down and I am not sure what it does when coming back up because I haven't consciously paid attention. Will try it out.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll say the last thing I want to do in life is take the office with me everywhere I go and this does that.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Marquees has another video out from the weekend. He does a bit of comparison to the Quest 3 and confirms that the AVP is limited to one monitor window and you cannot use your physical keyboard in fully immersed mode.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Have you guys seen the quotes from James Cameron about the Vision Pro?

Robert Saccone

Premium
When you use "pass-through" mode you are bringing your real world into the virtual world. You can see everything in your room including your laptop and keyboard.

However, when you go completely into virtual, immersing yourself in other surroundings, you completely block out the real world, including everything in your room and your laptop keyboard.

At that point, you are dependent on the Apple virtual keyboard which hinders your typing speed.

On Quest 3, you can create a small opening called a "portal" within the virtual world that brings a small portion of the real world in. That portal exposes your keyboard. Have a mouse? You create another "portal" that exposes your mouse.

Here is a video that shows what I am talking about. I haven't seen anything comparable on Vision Pro, but then again small tidbits of what the AVP can do are coming out day by day.

NOTE: PAY ATTENTION TO KEYBOARD PASSTHROUGH IN THE VIDEO

Today I put myself in fully immersive mode and I was still able to use my physical mouse and keyboard that I had attached to the VP. It's not that you can't use these devices it's just that you can't see them clearly. For the mouse that's not really a big deal but it might hamper you if you rely on seeing your keyboard. However what I did notice is that if I looked down to where my keyboard is the VP showed me where my hands were and I could also see a faint image of my keyboard at the same time which was enough for me to ensure my hands were oriented on the keys so I could type effectively. Hopefully Apple will improve the situation in this scenario.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Today I put myself in fully immersive mode and I was still able to use my physical mouse and keyboard that I had attached to the VP. It's not that you can't use these devices it's just that you can't see them clearly. For the mouse that's not really a big deal but it might hamper you if you rely on seeing your keyboard. However what I did notice is that if I looked down to where my keyboard is the VP showed me where my hands were and I could also see a faint image of my keyboard at the same time which was enough for me to ensure my hands were oriented on the keys so I could type effectively. Hopefully Apple will improve the situation in this scenario.

I am sure Apple will improve upon this. It makes no sense to hide the most important input device while fully immersed.

I spend about an hour each day being productive while VR immersed. I enjoy the experience.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I find these guys walking around in public flexing that they have the resources to buy a 3500 dollar headset are begging to be mugged.

Agreed. I look at it as partly showing off. The thing about stealing Apple devices, some of them can be traced and/or bricked. Not sure if that is the case with the AVP.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Agreed. I look at it as partly showing off. The thing about stealing Apple devices, some of them can be traced and/or bricked. Not sure if that is the case with the AVP.
I would hope that Apple would have either or both of those features built in to such an expensive limited availability device, bit knowing human nature there is sure to be some dumbass that will go ahead and rip off someone's head just to prove they can.

They might not even steal it, just do it to provide the person wearing it a life "lesson" in humility. Hope it doesn't happen, bit people were being mugged for sneakers at one time, so I wouldn't put the possibility anywhere near zero.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Wait. Are they actually saying they wear it and/or have it highly visible (and essentially readily snatchable) when they're out and about???

I would think walking about w/ an AVP (hidden) inside a bag, etc shouldn't be any different than w/ a similarly expensive camera kit or the like... although not every camera kit costs as much as an AVP of course... but neither does other non-Apple VR goggles, etc -- would think the thief would have to know for sure it's an AVP (and what's an AVP), which might be somewhat easier than knowing expensive camera kits, etc.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, I imagine one is (much) more likely to come across someone very visibly (and casually), lugging a (possibly obviously) more expensive, (often big/hefty) pro camera+lens w/out a ton protection... though likely not in a tough neighborhood of course. I've even seen that often enough in kids playgrounds here in NYC, LOL -- some might actually be pro photogs (w/ kids), but some are probably just enthusiasts w/ more $$$ than sense, LOL.

Not very recently (as I haven't been out and about quite that much), but definitely before the pandemic, especially before mirrorless cameras started replacing pro DSLRs...

I mean... you don't even need an actual pro camera to have something that costs as much as the AVP. A new Nikon Z7ii + most good lens one would likely use w/ it will cost about that much, if not more.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks