What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Apple Vision Pro buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
We should start seeing more and more reviews from the general public. I am guessing this guy bought his and this was not a review sample, but who knows...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Here's another first impression, though what is frustrating for me is that Apple limits the user to one desktop monitor. I can work with multiple on Quest, but I am optimistic this is something Apple will change for its future revisions

Robert Saccone

Premium
I don’t know what’s going on with fuzziness in pass through for those folks. Maybe they aren’t doing an alignment step by pressing and holding the dial on the top right. Pass through is clear for me.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I don’t know what’s going on with fuzziness in pass through for those folks. Maybe they aren’t doing an alignment step by pressing and holding the dial on the top right. Pass through is clear for me.
I find the pass-through to be the least underwhelming part of the device. It looks like bad DVD quality. I don't mind it since I spend my time looking at windows of content, which looks amazing.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I had to skim through that article to get the specifics you were referring to.

However, as I did write in my lengthy reply above, the Vision Pro is optimized for the Mac platform. The Quest is not. For that reason, working with a Mac is significantly better.

That being said, there are still things that the Quest does better when working with a Mac. First, it allows multiple monitors. The Vision Pro, according to Marquees, is limited to one. The Vanity Fair article offers a confusing remark by Tim Cook who says, "You can actually lay on your sofa and put the displays on your ceiling if you wish." I am assuming that is one monitor display and additional app displays (such as a calendar or photo app).

The Vision Pro has the absolute advantage of offering eye tracking and 4k eye resolution. It also offers better scrolling/swiping options. However, the Meta Quest 3 is no slouch in allowing hand tracking that lets you use your hands to resize and move windows wherever you want.

The one big downside to the Vision Pro that I noted was that you can't type as you would on a keyboard. You either have to do a single finger "tap" "tap" "tap" or use your voice. Marquees did point out another method which I think was using your eyes to select letters on the virtual keyboard. The Quest, on the other hand, shows your keyboard and you type as you always would.

It would have helped me more if you pointed out specifics rather than giving me a huge article to scan through, but certainly, for a $3,500 device, the Pro is going to kill the Quest in Mac compatibility. And, at the end of the day, there is no argument that the Vision Pro is still a superior device but you are going to pay 7 times more for it. I am happy, at the moment, paying 7 times less for a VR device that I can be just as productive in and offers lots of gaming choices.
Pure conjecture here, but it may be that the goal is to not have to use your laptop at all. The sharing of the laptop screen is to allow apps that are not Vision Pro-ready to be utilized. In my thinking, the VP is about (eventually) not needing laptops and monitors, just a headset that you can put on when you need to do work or have entertainment. Portability without limits.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
1707031281093.png

Robert Saccone

Premium
I find the pass-through to be the least underwhelming part of the device. It looks like bad DVD quality. I don't mind it since I spend my time looking at windows of content, which looks amazing.
Interesting. I wonder if it has to do with lighting? It doesn't look like terrible dvd to me in my house but I do agree that the content windows look excellent. EDIT: However, I will add that I do see some motion blur especially when moving my head quickly.

One thing I find really cool is that I had two app windows up and running while I was in my great room. I left the room and went to my kitchen. I did some stuff in my kitchen and walked back in and they were both right where I left them. For some reason I had thought they might follow me as I left one room but they did not. I find it rather amazing how geographically aware the OS is. Now I am curious to see if I can leave apps in different places throughout the house and how much of that it can "remember".

Last edited:

Robert Saccone

Premium
Pure conjecture here, but it may be that the goal is to not have to use your laptop at all. The sharing of the laptop screen is to allow apps that are not Vision Pro-ready to be utilized. In my thinking, the VP is about (eventually) not needing laptops and monitors, just a headset that you can put on when you need to do work or have entertainment. Portability without limits.
Could be although I can tell you from a developer productivity perspective that one of the use cases of projecting the Mac screen is to use Xcode effectively with the Vision Pro which is running on your Mac. I got that from an Apple engineer at the workshop I attended last fall. Unfortunately they didn't have that enabled at the time of the workshop but I finally got to try it myself at home and so far it is a great experience.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Does VP place windows in an absolute or relative sense?

Start it up from say the office and put about bunch of windows around the house, then the next day start up in say the kitchen, is everything in the same locations are are they all shifted relative to the kitchen now?

Or: If you use it in your home office. Then shut down, fly cross country, and start up in the next day in your remote office, are all your windows 3000 miles away? Or are they in the same place relative to you in the new location?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks