What's new

The Apple Vision Pro buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just wondering...

I came very close to buying a Meta Quest 3 after my brother bought one for my nephew for Christmas.

But I don't want it for gaming. I am more impressed with being able to work off my Mac in a virtual world with three large screens in front of me.

It's kind of intriguing and it can certainly be done on the Meta Quest 3, but not as fluidly as it allegedly can be done on the upcoming Vision Pro.

I am very intrigued by the Vision Pro. I think if one is going to do it right, buy the original before it gets watered down for future, cheaper iterations. However, that being said, at $3,500 one risks buying an extremely expensive 0-gen product that could be a useless paperweight in a few years because it was a product that wasn't embraced by the public.

Robert Saccone

Premium
I can’t say too much but I had a chance to try it out extensively. Hands down it is the best of all 3 headsets I’ve used and I am considering getting it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I can’t say too much but I had a chance to try it out extensively. Hands down it is the best of all 3 headsets I’ve used and I am considering getting it.

That's very encouraging, thank you, Robert. Glad to see you were able to test it out extensively. I'm going to see if I can swing the cost of this.

Robert Saccone

Premium
The latest I’ve seen from the rumor mill is that Apple is trying to get the cost down to approx. 2500 for the next gen. Will be interesting to see if what if any trade offs are made. Also regarding gen 1, if you use glasses you will need to add some extra coin to get the corrective lenses as well.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The latest I’ve seen from the rumor mill is that Apple is trying to get the cost down to approx. 2500 for the next gen. Will be interesting to see if what if any trade offs are made. Also regarding gen 1, if you use glasses you will need to add some extra coin to get the corrective lenses as well.

...and that's rumored to be $300-$600 extra for those lenses. Wow!

I am surprised Apple went that route and maybe it has to do with the kind of panels being used. On the Oculus, you can wear your normal eyewear beneath the mask.

I do wear glasses so that's going to be a huge consideration. Thanks for bringing that up.

Unfortunately, knowing this, I'll probably have to wait for Gen 2.

Robert Saccone

Premium
My vision is terribly near sighted and so having those corrective lenses when I tried it made such a difference over other units I’ve tried where I had to put it on over my glasses.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No.

I considered it initially since I‘m ready to buy a new Mac. But then I realized it’s really an iPad and a separate Mac is required to have macOS within VisionOS.

With the two hour battery life and AirPods Pro (no over the ear headphones) as audio solution, it’s inadequate for travel.

And the need for vision correction makes it unsuitable for my home use of an iPad: I wear contacts all day and glasses at night.

I can see this product being practical for me after a few product iterations. I didn’t buy an iPhone until the iPhone 4. But this first go ‘round: I’ve got a 99 things on my upgrade list for 2024 and a Vision Pro isn’t one of them.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I must say, THIS looks very attractive

This is a good article diving into the Visor

"When Immersed announced the Visor, it was unexpected. However, one of the most surprising details is the $950 price for a 4K-per-eye headset with eye-tracking and a Snapdragon XR2 Gen 2.

For comparison, Apple's $3,500 Vision Pro has 4K-per-eye, eye-tracking, a front-facing screen, more cameras, and a desktop-class M2 processor."

At $950, this is a damn good price. I also love the fact that this can almost go toe-to-toe with the Apple Visor in many respects without being a headset.

Still, the downside is that if I was going to consider getting into VR for productivity (not gaming), I would rather have something designed for the Apple ecosystem which clearly, this Visor would not.

Hopefully, Apple will be able to bring its GEN2 headset down to a price that makes it competitive with the Visor.

Not rushing into anything yet, but I am very excited about VR productivity.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You're retired, Ron. There is no need to be productive anymore. :laugh:

Sort of true, though I spend hours a day online.

Honestly, VR productivity is more of curiosity and entertainment for me than being critically important for productivity.

It's a shiny new gadget. Right up my alley.

Robert Saccone

Premium
Looks interesting but seems purely focused on virtual displays only. The part about not having an OS or an SDK for 3rd party devs sounds really limiting. I think by making it available to order now (even though the ship date is likely mid to late 2024) they are looking to grab early sales before Apple comes to market with the Vision Pro. They are smart in not defining themselves as a Spatial Computer or as a AR/VR headset because it's missing lots of features. Whether you want those capabilities or not is a personal preference.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 16

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Ron, again not trying to yuck your yum, but 2 things here:
- I will be SHOCKED if you arent the first at HTF to have a vision, at least not the first who isnt an open or closeted Apple developer.
- Which of the two is being actively described as an all day productivity tool? Hint: it's not the Meta.

I encourage you to get the Meta but it's going to get blown out of the water by the Vision for actual work.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, again not trying to yuck your yum, but 2 things here:
- I will be SHOCKED if you arent the first at HTF to have a vision, at least not the first who isnt an open or closeted Apple developer.
- Which of the two is being actively described as an all day productivity tool? Hint: it's not the Meta.

I encourage you to get the Meta but it's going to get blown out of the water by the Vision for actual work.

Not at $3,500. Not for a product that already has a lower priced Gen 2 in production.

I will say that I bought the Meta and it does indeed work for productivity with a few trade offs but surprisingly well. More on that coming up when I have the time to sit and write more.

But you are right, Sam, I should be the first person to own this.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm sure at 3500 clams a pop they will just fly off the shelves to a population that whined and bitched about wearing glasses, weighing a few ounces, for two hours to watch a film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks