What's new

The Andy Griffith Show: Missing Scenes, Laugh Tracks, And Other Issues (2 Viewers)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Looking forward to hearing your impressions of this public domain set. I'm tempted if you're pleased with it, to order it myself. The price is certainly right to help fix one of the most flawed episodes on my CBS set.
At least for the time being, I expect my viewing of the Brentwood DVD set will be limited to "The Darlings Are Coming" episode, although I might check the end credit music for the corresponding episodes that have the sped up, bizarrely placed music on the CBS/Paramount Season 3 TAGS set!

CHEERS! :)

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
As for Andy in the color years... IIRC, he got meaner. Less jovial, more perpetually annoyed.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I enjoy all 8 years of Andy and RFD. I find something to enjoy in all aspects of it's presentation. Andy did become more irritable as the show progressed. I see this as a gradual process that started around season 4. Andy would start getting more annoyed with Barney than in the first three years and even would yell at Aunt Bee on occasion. (When the freezer broke as an example).
I may be the only person in the Western Hemisphere that liked Jack Burns as Warren Ferguson. He was especially good with Goober. The cannon shooting the mobile museum is my favorite of his short stay. When Malcolm and Ernest T. Bass fight over the crossing guard job is a favorite from season 6 too. I love when Howard tries to lean to fish, when Floyd and Goober get caught up in a treasure hunt scam, when Andy gets sick and the town tries, unsuccessfully, to make his recuperation an easy one. Do I miss Barney? Hell yes! But I still love Mayberry, no matter what the population.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW - ''The Darlings Are Coming'' (Comparison Screenshots And Edit Notes!):

Running Times:
Brentwood DVD - 25:32 (Includes "Salty Dog" and epilogue with brief playing of "Cindy" near the final fadeout before the closing credits!)

STERLING DVD - 22:57 (Includes epilogue with brief playing of "Cindy" near the final fadeout before the closing credits!)

CBS/Paramount - 22:22 ("Salty Dog" and epilogue with brief playing of "Cindy" not included on the Season/Series DVD sets! The latter is included on THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW 50TH ANNIVERSARY set, however!)

Visual Quality:
Brentwood DVD - To my eyes, a bit better than VHS, though pretty dark at times. A bit of lower screen white flash occurs toward the end of the usually not included "Salty Dog" number. However, the epilogue scene visuals do look better than on the STERLING DVD edition!

vlcsnap-2017-07-10-18h33m46s334.png

vlcsnap-2017-07-10-18h34m53s460.png

vlcsnap-2017-07-10-18h35m11s028.png

Charlene And Andy During "Salty Dog" Number:
vlcsnap-2017-07-10-18h35m55s260.png

Dud And Charlene During Epilogue Scene:
vlcsnap-2017-07-10-18h37m20s499.png

STERLING DVD - While overall, the visuals look better than the Brentwood DVD edition (Though not the CBS/Paramount editions!), the epilogue portion appears as though it could have been taken from a kinescope!

See What I Mean? UGH!! :P :
vlcsnap-2017-07-10-18h46m40s752.png

CBS/Paramount - Visually the best edition on DVD. Unfortunately, with the exception of the 50th Anniversary edition TAGS set, all other DVD versions by this company are missing the epilogue, and ALL are sadly missing the "Salty Dog" number! This horrible travesty even extends to the episode's HD versions that are available for viewing via US Netflix and Amazon Digital, which don't even include the epilogue portion that CBS/Paramount DID have restored back in 2010! Can't anybody get this episode right?

vlcsnap-2017-07-10-18h49m19s075.png

vlcsnap-2017-07-10-18h50m07s765.png

vlcsnap-2017-07-10-18h50m37s162.png

Further notes:
The playing of "Cindy" has been reported to be of *longer duration on THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW 50th Anniversary DVD set! There is also reported to be more footage in the opening scene, as presented on that edition! If so, this means that even the 25 minute, 32 second Brentwood DVD edition of "The Darlings Are Coming" isn't quite complete!

The original TAGS "Ol' Fishin' Hole" theme plays on all but the STERLING DVD edition, on which plays a jazzy, whistle like tune.

Perhaps someday, TAGS viewers might get treated to a complete edition of "The Darlings Are Coming" episode that looks at least as good as the CBS/Paramount DVD editions? Blu-ray quality would be even better, still!

Until then, "Power to ya!" ;)

* Remains unsubstantiated at this time, although I do seem to recall having read about a longer playing version of "Cindy" on THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW 50th Anniversary DVD set, somewhere! Can anyone who owns this set please kindly confirm or refute this? The "Cindy" epilogue plays for about 40 seconds on the 2 Public Domain editions of this episode that I have!

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
So even on this public domain set, it's not complete?

Considering it's public domain, some adventurous Andy Griffith fan should piece it together with the best available sources and post it on YouTube.

If the publishers can't manage to make it complete or as close to it as possible, this is a rare chance where a fan could legally step in and do it.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Considering it's public domain, some adventurous Andy Griffith fan should piece it together with the best available sources and post it on YouTube.
I have such an edit I obtained years ago on a DVD-R with the complete "Barney Mends A Broken Heart" and the 2003 Back to Mayberry special that Paramount never included in any set. It's a shame how fans know more about these shows than the owners of the properties do.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just to clear things up regarding "The Darlings Are Coming" episode edits, here is the HTF Topic for the 50th Anniversary DVD set that includes the semi fixed edition: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...ary-the-best-of-mayberry.300513/#post-3650026

Apparently, I remembered information about the added epilogue incorrectly. I could of swore there was also specific mention of it being longer on the above set than in other releases, but no! For the record, the epilogue runs for about 40 seconds on both the Brentwood and STERLING DVD editions.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Ironically, within the Amazon reviews for the RETURN TO MAYBERRY (1986) DVD, I found a review for a 16 episode DVD set listing the "Barney Mends A Broken Heart" episode among them. However, other than a general episodes are complete statement, there was nothing specific to that episode regarding the inclusion of an epilogue. It was said to be on 2 discs, with a glossy color photo of Andy, Barney, Opie and Gomer on the cover, which would rule out the Brentwood set. The inclusion of bonus commercials and cartoons are also noted. Going by the review date, this release was from no later than mid 2007.

I've found a few copies of the above DVD set listed on eBay, at inexpensive prices. All of the TAGS episodes are retitled, with "Barney, The Matchmaker" in place of "Barney Mends A Broken Heart;" and "Andy Meets The Darlins" for "The Darlings Are Coming" episode. The company is Raintree Home Video. If anyone on here who decides to order this set could also kindly let the rest of us know whether or not either or both of the aforementioned episodes run 25 + minutes each, and include their respective epilogue scenes, this would be greatly appreciated!
s-l1600.jpg

eBay Links -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVD-2-DISC-...003417&hash=item5d6f8fee6f:g:VDIAAOSwA29Y5R1~

https://www.ebay.com/p/The-Andy-Gri...us-Episodes-2-DVDs-2003-Don-Knotts/1300003417

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Today, I finished viewing the Season 3, Disc 4 DVD, with the "Andy's English Valet" episode. This is one that I always enjoy revisiting, which I attribute at least partly to my paternal British roots. Seeing the differences in American and English customs, and how some of us sometimes react to these initially makes for interesting, and in this case, rather fun and educational viewing.

On this disc, apart from the significantly truncated "The Darlings Are Coming" episode (Which clocks in at a mere 22:22!), "Andy's English Valet" is the only other episode to clock in at under 25 minutes, running at 24:46. It nevertheless, does appear to be complete, and does include a rather amusing exchange between Andy & Opie and a puzzled Aunt Bee. The corresponding end sponsor spot for Sanka employs the bizarre voice over with Andy and Barney, but I did find this one with Bernard Fox's Malcolm Merriweather to be enjoyable!

Looking ahead to the final TAGS Season 3 disc, I did notice there is no sponsor spot for the "Mountain Wedding" episode. That I won't get to see any sponsor spots that may have featured the Darlings/Dillards is the source of some disappointment to me! It's too bad that CBS/Paramount dropped their inclusion of bonus sponsor spots from Season 4 onward!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
As it turns out, "The Darlings Are Coming" being the most heavily edited of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW episodes, isn't its only dubious distinction. The episode itself also contains visible equipment/wiring that it fairly obvious even in Public Domain DVD releases. as can be seen below!

The special guest appearance of some dangling microphone wire can first be seen right below the Darling Family's Car Door as Sheriff Andy Taylor comes into view!:
The Darlings Are Coming - Mic Wire Dangling From Bottom Of Andy's Pant Leg 0.png

Here, the wire can be seen dangling from the bottom of Andy's left Pant Leg!:
The Darlings Are Coming - Mic Wire Dangling From Bottom Of Andy's Pant Leg 0c.png

There's also supposed to be a reflection of the moving boom microphone visible in the windshield as Charlene reenters the Darlings Car, although it doesn't seem that obvious to me. Is it that angled line that can be seen above the Steering Wheel in the screenshot below?:
VTS_01_1.VOB_snapshot_01.53_[2017.07.12_19.33.53].png

Source: STERLING HOME VIDEO

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Here, the wire can be seen dangling from the bottom of Andy's left Pant Leg!:
That could be a loose shoe string. Andy never laced up his boots much on the show. He can be seen wearing them loose in several shows. Doesn't make much sense being a microphone wire there anyway.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
That could be a loose shoe string. Andy never laced up his boots much on the show. He can be seen wearing them loose in several shows. Doesn't make much sense being a microphone wire there anyway.

It sure doesn't look like a loose shoe or boot string in this shot! Not to my eyes, anyway!:
The Darlings Are Coming - Mic Wire Dangling From Bottom Of Andy's Pant Leg 4.png

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, but where would they have hidden the huge microphones of the time on him without it being noticeable?

I think I dimly recall Allen Ludden wearing one on Password, and it was roughly the size of something Flavor Flav wears around his neck.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
That's a head scratcher. I would think they wouldn't use a wire outdoors. I'd have thought a boom operator would catch the audio of all involved. Strange.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've found a few copies of the above DVD set listed on eBay, at inexpensive prices. All of the TAGS episodes are retitled, with "Barney, The Matchmaker" in place of "Barney Mends A Broken Heart;" and "Andy Meets The Darlins" for "The Darlings Are Coming" episode. The company is Raintree Home Video. If anyone on here who decides to order this set could also kindly let the rest of us know whether or not either or both of the aforementioned episodes run 25 + minutes each, and include their respective epilogue scenes, this would be greatly appreciated!
View attachment 39118

eBay Links -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVD-2-DISC-...003417&hash=item5d6f8fee6f:g:VDIAAOSwA29Y5R1~

https://www.ebay.com/p/The-Andy-Gri...us-Episodes-2-DVDs-2003-Don-Knotts/1300003417

It occurs to me that "Barney, The Matchmaker" could also be an alternate name for the "A Wife For Andy" episode. For what it's worth, the review that I went by was from a Top 1000 Amazon Reviewer, who listed the episodes in alphabetical order, and she mentioned that the set included cartoons and commercials, and the 2 DVD set that I found on eBay seems to match up. Why she wouldn't have noted that the episodes had alternate names on the packaging is a bit of a mystery to me, however?

Here's a link to the Amazon Review:
https://www.amazon.com/Andy-Griffit...mber=5&reviewerType=all_reviews&sortBy=recent

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
It could just be a made up title. I bought a VHS tape of a Mission Impossible episode in the 80's that had a title that was made up. PD discs don't have good quality control.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It could just be a made up title. I bought a VHS tape of a Mission Impossible episode in the 80's that had a title that was made up. PD discs don't have good quality control.
Sorting out the myriads of alternate titles can be downright headache inducing, at times! :blink:

Had CBS/Paramount not goofed up on the "Barney Mends A Broken Heart" and "The Darlings Are Coming" episodes, this entire exercise would be unnecessary! :rolleyes:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Having finished viewing the Season 3 episodes, here are a few observations:

Apart from the episodes that I noted had weirdly placed, sped up closing credits, and the 2 edited episodes, I found the overall quality for DVD was quite good. If anything, the PQ seemed further improved on the last couple of Season 3 discs! It is easy for me to see why there are those who think Andy on DVD is good enough. Having to resort to viewing "The Darlings Are Coming" on a Public Domain set to experience it in complete form certainly gives me an appreciation for the solid PQ on the CBS/Paramount DVD sets. If only they had kept including the sponsor spots past Season 3! This is one aspect that I will definitely miss in viewing TAGS from Season 4 onward! I can only guess what kind of fun sponsor spots were among the Season 4 episodes, especially with Jim Nabors having appeared in so many of these!

Andy (Andy Griffith) and Gomer (Jim Nabors) in the end sponsor spot from "The Big House," the final Season 3 TAGS episode!:
vlcsnap-2017-07-13-15h11m23s789.png

"I appreciate it, and good night!" The end of the final TAGS sponsor spot included on the CBS/Paramount DVD sets!:
vlcsnap-2017-07-13-15h13m13s715.png

One last mention regarding the end sponsor spots; The one for the "A Wife For Andy" episode had absolutely nothing to do with the episode that had just ended. Perhaps the show's sponsor spots were just starting to shift away from the integrated story line approach ever so slightly, at this stage? Unfortunately, without further inclusion of these sponsor spots on the subsequent TAGS Season sets, we may never know for sure! :(

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I thought subsequent season sets lacked sponsor segments because they never had them? That's what the season 4 review at DVDTalk claimed, at least.

I always took them for their word and assumed it to be correct, although their reviewer's memories are often lacking like the guy that insisted that the epilogues for Adam-12 and Emergency! were missing with every review.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks