What's new

The Addams Family and/or The Munsters (1 Viewer)

The Addamses or The Munsters?

• The Addams Family

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • The Munsters

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Both

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Both shows centered around a group of misfits coexisting in our everyday reality. THE ADDAMS FAMILY and THE MUNSTERS each aired from 1964 to 1966, but on ABC and CBS, respectively.

Although they ran for the same two seasons, the shows never competed against one another in their respective time slots. THE ADDAMS FAMILY aired on Friday evenings at 8:30pm its two years, while THE MUNSTERS aired on Thursday nights at 7:30pm. This provides a bit of insight to the audiences in which the shows were aimed. Because it aired earlier in the evening, THE MUNSTERS was likely geared towards the family as a whole, while THE ADDAMS FAMILY, which aired later in the night, perhaps had more to offer the adults than the kiddies.

THE ADDAMS FAMILY certainly has a darker humor than THE MUNSTERS. The former clan of misfits generally spend their time within the walls of their dreay, yet intriguing mansion, while the latter family interacts with the world which leads to its humor. THE ADDAMS FAMILY has a sharper wit that comes off as more original, while THE MUNSTERS is basically your run-of-the-mill sixties sitcom, but with a family of monsters at the head. Nothing else is particularly different.

This go-around, I vote for the Addams clan. How about you?
upload_2018-4-8_11-17-59.png

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
This is a real tough one for me. Loved both shows immensely. The relationship between Gomez and Morticia was so awesome (Tish! That's french!) however, as has already been noted Herman and Grandpa were fantastic characters. In the end I think I need to go with the Addam's Family for the sheer weirdness and controlled lunacy they brought.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've always preferred The Addams Family for the bigger cast of weird and eccentric characters: Uncle Fester, Lurch, Cousin Itt, Grandmama, Thing. I was always a particular fan of Thing. As a kid, I just loved that there was this hand that could appear anywhere in the house and help at any time, even bringing in the mail.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Having a heck of a time trying to find a clip I can hear in my head of the Addams family sound effect going "whoop whoop whoop". Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I also loved the hangman's nooses all around the Addams house that they would pull to summon Lurch.

***BONG!!*** (house shakes)
Lurch: You rang?

Every time someone reached for one of those nooses, I'd crack up even before they pulled it. And it would shake the whole house, much to the consternation of whatever guest was present, but the family never seemed to notice or mind. :lol:

Last edited:

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Just a lot more creative insanity with the Addams Family.

Who else had a "Thing" piggy bank, where the hand would come out of the box and grab a placed penny?

And who else loved to collide and wreck trains with their HO or Lionel train set like Gomez? So cathartic and satisfying!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've often tried to get THE ADDAMS FAMILY DVD sets, but each time, we were either too broke, or else they were unavailable except where the pricing was outrageous.

THE MUNSTERS, on the other hand, I bought both seasons of a couple of years ago, along with their two movies. However, I got sidetracked halfway through the first season, and haven't resumed viewing since.

Nevertheless, owing primarily to childhood syndicated viewings, I still give the 1313 Mockingbird Lane residents a slight edge.

CHEERS! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks