What's new

The Brady Bunch and/or The Partridge Family (1 Viewer)

The Bradys or The Partridges?

• The Brady Bunch

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • The Partridge Family

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Both

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Neither

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Both shows have a pop culture status. Both shows have a fan base that continues today. Both shows still get considerable airway time in syndication. THE BRADY BUNCH, by most accounts, is the more well-known of the duo, while THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY is arguably the better show overall.

As I said, THE BRADY BUNCH usually gets more notoriety, sometimes for its camp aspects and fluffy humor. Of course, the theatrically updated versions with Shelley Long and Gary Cole certainly brought the original show to newer audiences. THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY, however, perhaps gets attention because many probably remember it being a "singing show," if only vaguely. It hasn't had as many publicized reunions, and certainly none to the caliber of a silver screen re-imagining.

Recently, I have recorded some reruns of THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY. I just watched four episodes back-to-back this morning. Although I have the first season of the series on DVD, I had never really given it a chance until here recently. Having watched a few episodes, I have came to the conclusion that I prefer the Partridges over the Bradys. The writing, the acting, and the overall production seem better and produced with the intent of having a broader audience, while THE BRADY BUNCH, on the other hand, seems to be almost universally aimed towards the younger demographic.

In all fairness, neither of these shows are major standouts in the sitcom portfolio, nor do they offer anything particularly groundbreaking. (Well, yeah the Bradys were technically a "blended family," but that was never really addressed after the first few shows.) They each served their purpose --- to entertain, and in a family-friendly way.

The Bradys versus The Partridges.... Which side will you take? Perhaps both?
upload_2018-4-8_11-0-25.png

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Both of these shows were essential viewing at times in my childhood but I generally found The Brady Bunch more enjoyable.

I always felt Eight is Enough was the head-to-head Brady Bunch competitor.

upload_2018-4-8_15-51-23.png

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
The Partridge Family was the very first album I ever bought. I've now found almost their entire catalog on vinyl and have a new appreciation for how great the music was. Two documentaries really help tie it all together: The Wrecking Crew (recounting the studio session players that were used for the show among other projects) and Family Band: The Cowslips which was the real life inspiration for the Partridges.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I liked the Bradys best. I just found them more likeable and relatable. I think all the Brady kids got equal screen time unlike the Partridges especially Tracy and Chris. What I mean is, it seemed like The Brady Bunch would do group episodes involving all the kids, or a single episode focusing on one of the kids problems. Nobody got ignored.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I liked the Bradys best. I just found them more likeable and relatable. I think all the Brady kids got equal screen time unlike the Partridges especially Tracy and Chris. What I mean is, it seemed like The Brady Bunch would do group episodes involving all the kids, or a single episode focusing on one of the kids problems. Nobody got ignored.
Well Chris changed from a brunet to a blond with no explanation ... :cool:

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Both of these shows were essential viewing at times in my childhood but I generally found The Brady Bunch more enjoyable.

View attachment 45372
I've never saw EIGHT IS ENOUGH, but I was drawing THE BRADY BUNCH and THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY together because they aired in the same time frame.
The Partridges had no wise crackin Alice nuff SAid!!

Alicecookiesa.jpg
That's certainly right! Alice was definitely a standout in the Brady household, but not even Alice can give the Bradys the edge over the Partridges in my mind.
Alice would beat Mr. Kincaide in a wise crackin death match to the death and that's all there is to it!! :D
Yes, Alice would definitely beat Reuben in a wit-match. Perhaps the Partridges should have had Alice instead. :rolleyes:
I've watched about eight episodes of THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY in the past few days, and I can assuredly say that this does bother me. The two youngest children are in the opening credits, which gives the obvious impression that they are just as significant to the overall show, but they're not. In the eight episodes I've watched, there were two (maybe three) that didn't involve Chris and Tracy at all --- they weren't even in them! And even the episodes they are in, they aren't involved in the story itself. In the case of involving all of the ensemble, THE BRADY BUNCH certainly takes the crown.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I've been watching Happy Days for the first time since they orignally aired lately and I was surprised about how Joanie got downgraded a bit after the first couple seasons. to me, she was the funniest on the show in the beginning. then they started making it the Fonzie show. Loved that originally, but I wish it had be more ensembling in my older self watching it.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I've been watching Happy Days for the first time since they orignally aired lately and I was surprised about how Joanie got downgraded a bit after the first couple seasons. to me, she was the funniest on the show in the beginning. then they started making it the Fonzie show. Loved that originally, but I wish it had be more ensembling in my older self watching it.
I have the first six seasons of HAPPY DAYS on DVD that I bought from Walmart a couple of years back. I have never really paid attention to the lessening of Joanie's role per se, but more to the shift of the show as a whole to "The Fonzie Show," and the eliminating of old-style comedy gags to slapstick and silliness.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Didn't they completely change actors? I think the first kid just vanished.
Yes. Jeremy Gelbwaks (the original Chris Partridge) left the show --- and show business altogether --- after the first season. According to David Cassidy, the young Gelbwaks "had a personality conflict with every person in the cast and the producers". His family moved to Virginia, and he never acted again.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

This didn't originally bother me [as he was clearly a popular character] but it did wear thin when Fonzie's maturation made him just as dull and responsible as the Cunningham family he used to make fun of. He just wasn't as "cool" anymore from the perspective of my young mind.

RIP - Erin Moran

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

View attachment 45372

"Eight Is Enough" was one of my favorite shows of that time. It was funny and serious at the same time. Plus, I loved that house.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Kevin. Even though The Partridges were [ostensibly] musicians, I consider this the better theme song

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks