What's new

Welcome To The 50th Anniversary Of 1965 Fall Season (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
On of the all time best (if not the best IMO) TV seasons of all time. Countless shows that would become classics and syndicated staples came from this incredible season. Some have held up well over time, others have been forgotten, but you can't deny the huge impact of this magical season on TV history. I won't list them all, but among the major shows debuting 50 years ago that fall were:

Hogan's Heroes

I Dream of Jeannie

Get Smart

Wild Wild West

Run For Your Life

Green Acres

F Troop

Big Valley

Lost In Space

Branded

The FBI

I Spy

....and of course, My Mother The Car.

Additionally when you think that this season also included the sophomore outings of The Munsters, Addams Family, Man From Uncle, Voyage, Gilligan's Island, and Peyton Place as well as old returning faves like Dick Van Dyke, My Three Sons, Hillbillies, Petticoat, Mchale's Navy, Andy Griffith, Bewitched, Bonanza, Lucy, Gunsmoke, Ozzie/Harriet, and The Fugitive to name a few.

And then to think that with all these great shows, many were being seen for the first time in color that fall, All I can say is WOW!

Happy 50th Anniversary - Fall Season 1965

Thanks for all the great memories.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
It remains the single most represented season of the classic era on DVD overall. I believe we are well over 40 shows from that season released and we are still awaiting one more with the final season of "Dr. Kildare". There were a large number of shows in their last season and shows in their first season that year.

This thread earlier had the list:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/336296-best-represented-year-for-tv-on-dvd/

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1965 was also the final Black and White season for prime time television in the US.

September 1966 brought about all color, all the time as far as prime time shows went. And, with color coming, shows like The Munsters, The Addams Family, and The Dick Van Dyke Show would be saying goodbye.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This was the season I started watching tv in earnest. I would turn 8 in October. I was already getting used to asking to stay up late to watch my favorites. What a great year. I remember all the promos for "Premier Week". Great memories.

I have been hooked on television ever since.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Branded actually made its debut in midseason 1964-65, replacing The Bill Dana Show.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The Obsolete Man said:
1965 was also the final Black and White season for prime time television in the US.

September 1966 brought about all color, all the time as far as prime time shows went. And, with color coming, shows like The Munsters, The Addams Family, and The Dick Van Dyke Show would be saying goodbye.
This season was when Perry Mason had that one color outing, "The Case of the Twice-Told Twist," as somewhat of a trial run of what it would have looked like had it gone to color for the 1966-67 season (which would have been its tenth). It would not be for the original, yet it would be for not only a flash-in-the-pan Mason in the 1973-74 season w/Monte Markham, but also more popularly for the NBC movies in the 80s and 90s (30 in total of those).

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Jack P said:
It remains the single most represented season of the classic era on DVD overall. I believe we are well over 40 shows from that season released and we are still awaiting one more with the final season of "Dr. Kildare". There were a large number of shows in their last season and shows in their first season that year.

This thread earlier had the list:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/336296-best-represented-year-for-tv-on-dvd/
It is just so nice to sit down and be able to put together whole nights of the original programming as it was shown on a particular day. 65 is one of the few seasons enough releases are out there to do it with (64 and 66 are the next closest). I just love it. Grab my TV Guide from that week, go to my shelves..... and like Marty McFly, I'm back in time.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I remember that '65 season very well. I was 9 years old.

On 15 Sep '65, my parents went out for the evening, leaving me with a babysitter. She immediately commandeered the TV set, announcing that we were going to watch the premiere of HER show, Lost In Space.

Fortunately, I had already warmed up the TV set and tuned it to CBS, to watch the premiere of MY show, Lost In Space. :)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Frank Soyke said:
It is just so nice to sit down and be able to put together whole nights of the original programming as it was shown on a particular day. 65 is one of the few seasons enough releases are out there to do it with (64 and 66 are the next closest). I just love it. Grab my TV Guide from that week, go to my shelves..... and like Marty McFly, I'm back in time.

I also like recreating what was shown on TV at certain dates. One of my favorite dates is November 17, 1968. I'll watch the episodes of Lassie ("Homemade DVD), The FBI, Mission: Impossible and Mannix followed by the infamous made-for-TV movie Heidi (Who would think back in 1968 that a day would come where you could not only watch a show that aired on that date, but could also watch shows that aired at the same time on other networks as well). There is also a four day period in November, 1963 where I'll play episodes of shows that would have aired on November 23-26 of that year but were delayed a week because of an infamous event that happened in downtown Dallas that year.

mayberry66guy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil
Each year, I typically post on Facebook a tribute to TV debut anniversaries. For this year, I stuck with 50th anniversary. I put together an image of most of the new shows for the 1965-66 season. I left out shows that didn't last an entire season, and some of which I have little or no familiarity. Thought I would share with the folks on here.

Attachments

• TV65small.jpg
    TV65small.jpg
    880.9 KB · Views: 67

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
My single favorite hour of television to this day is Lost in Space's "Wish Upon a Star" -- aired five days before I was born.

Lots of great shows that year!

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
mayberry66guy said:
If we are talking about the 1965-66 TV season, we cannot forget the cartoons.

Here are the toons that debuted to Saturday morning TV that season.
Great post...

I personally always thought Winsome Witch was an odd choice to name a children's cartoon though.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Also, some very good shows not on DVD:

Run For Your Life

12 O'Clock High

Farmer's Daughter (last season)

Please Don't Eat The Daisies

Trials of O'Brien

The Long Hot Summer

Blue Light

Slattery's People

The Loner

Double Life of Henry Phyfe

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
You're gonna hate me for this, but remember, there are better people to hate in this world.

For fifty years now, I've thought of 1965 as when television took a turn for the worse. It's ironic that so many people look back on it as something wonderful.

But wouldn't you agree that television got stupider that year? (Although 1964 did give us "Gilligan's Island", which was a hint of things to come).

I think most people would admit that they have to be in the mood for "stupid" to sit down and enjoy shows like "Green Acres" or "Lost in Space," and I won't even mention "My Mother the Car." "Hogan's Heroes" asked us to believe that life in a German POW camp could be loads of laughs. "Get Smart" asked us to believe that a spy as stupid and incompetent as Maxwell Smart wouldn't be fired after half a day.

When you realize this all led to 1966's "It's About Time," perhaps the single stupidest television show of all time, I'm just not sure that 1965 was a year to celebrate.

But I shouldn't rain on anyone's parade, because I love a lot of dumb shows from the 1950s -- but the thing is I recognize them as stupid time wasters which I watch only for reasons of nostalgia.

I hope my message here is taken for what I intend it to be. I don't have a big emotional investment in this. I just wanted to express another point of view, which shouldn't matter to anyone, because I'm nobody important, that's for sure.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I just read up a very little bit about RUN FOR YOUR LIFE. It appears to me that it was THE BIG C (Never viewed an episode, but am aware of its similar "Live life to the fullest until you die" premise.) of its day, or perhaps, that should be stated the other way around?

I wouldn't mind checking that series out, if the opportunity ever arises.

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Joe Lugoff said:
You're gonna hate me for this, but remember, there are better people to hate in this world.

For fifty years now, I've thought of 1965 as when television took a turn for the worse. It's ironic that so many people look back on it as something wonderful.

But wouldn't you agree that television got stupider that year? (Although 1964 did give us "Gilligan's Island", which was a hint of things to come).

I think most people would admit that they have to be in the mood for "stupid" to sit down and enjoy shows like "Green Acres" or "Lost in Space," and I won't even mention "My Mother the Car." "Hogan's Heroes" asked us to believe that life in a German POW camp could be loads of laughs. "Get Smart" asked us to believe that a spy as stupid and incompetent as Maxwell Smart wouldn't be fired after half a day.

When you realize this all led to 1966's "It's About Time," perhaps the single stupidest television show of all time, I'm just not sure that 1965 was a year to celebrate.

But I shouldn't rain on anyone's parade, because I love a lot of dumb shows from the 1950s -- but the thing is I recognize them as stupid time wasters which I watch only for reasons of nostalgia.

I hope my message here is taken for what I intend it to be. I don't have a big emotional investment in this. I just wanted to express another point of view, which shouldn't matter to anyone, because I'm nobody important, that's for sure.
Hi Joe!

However beloved (Deservedly, for the most part!) many of the above shows are, I admit that your observations are most astute!

That said, I have to wonder whether many of today's shows, such as THE LAST MAN ON EARTH (Is this P.O.C. even still on?) don't eclipse the stupidity of IT'S ABOUT TIME? It seems to me that much of so called comedy in 2015 is based on the "If it's stupid (Add gross to a lot of it!), then it MUST be funny" premise! Many TV commercials seem to be about the same, in that respect, also!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

P.S. THE LAST MAN ON EARTH was renewed for a second season, apparently! :P

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"Hogan's Heroes" asked us to believe that life in a German POW camp could be loads of laughs. "Get Smart" asked us to believe that a spy as stupid and incompetent as Maxwell Smart wouldn't be fired after half a day.
That's why they are *comedy* shows and don't pretend to be otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks