What's new

The Abyss,ID4 and Cast Away reissues. What a crappy way for Fox to try to double dip. (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm with Jeff Adams on this. First Fox releases 2 disc Special Editions of these films, then they stop manufacturing them and release single disc versions. Now here we are with 2 disc Special Editions that are exactly the same as the first releases. Oh, except for the fact that they spent a lot of money producing new artwork and redesigning the packaging. To make them look different from the first wave perhaps? Seems a bit deceptive. They're spending even more money to get prime standee real estate in Best Buy stores to promote the discs. Double dipping for sure in my book, and it's getting tiresome. Boo, Fox.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I'd hazard to guess that a new transfer would cost a pretty penny and have to be approved by Cameron. As much as the film has a substantial cult following, the truth is that it never has been a popular success. To spend that kind of money on it might not be a financially sound decision right now. The 2-disc set is still one of the best ones on the market. The documentary alone is worth the (quite reasonable) price of purchase. Some of us need to quit whining.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Why did they pull the 2-discs and issue 1-discs in the first place? And then RE-issue the 2-discs?! What exactly is the point in that?! :confused:

Profit? Well, yeah... maybe. But what was the retail price of the 1-disc over the 2-disc?

Why waste all the time and energy over the same films on DVD? At the very least, they should have created new 16x9-enhanced transfers for The Abyss - not that it really needs it, as it is a great transfer.

Imagine for a moment that every studio did this: 2-disc SE; 1-disc bare-bones; re-issue 2-disc ad nauseum. It just adds confusion to the mix of an all-too-busy market.

As Craig W points out, new-comers to DVD who bought any/all of the 1-discs are going to be disappointed and frustrated by this.

Gordy

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
FOX argue that it will cost a lot money to create a new anamorphic transfer, don't think it's viable financially to do it right now - don't understand the need to reissue the disc again, though. Might as well leave it, and in a year's time, re-release it with some more goodies and a new transfer. Maybe tie it in with True Lies release.

Joel C

Screenwriter
They're spending even more money to get prime standee real estate in Best Buy stores to promote the discs.
YEAH! I'm sure they are. They're trying to grab new customers with the eye-catching cover art.

I don't see why everyone has a problem with this. Fox is a company. Companies need to make money. This is a way to make money. Should you choose not to buy the discs, they will make no money from you.

Same with Columbia TriStar. Their new bare-bones followed in a year by an SE policy is annoying, but it makes them money. Now that there is a pattern to their actions, whenever one of their films come out with no features, I expect a reissue in a year and base my purchase on that. I want Adaptation enough to buy now, but I can wait until the Resident Evil: 2 Disc comes out around the same time as the sequel.

It's annoying, sure, but it's business. No reason to get upset.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Why did they pull the 2-discs and issue 1-discs in the first place? And then RE-issue the 2-discs?! What exactly is the point in that?!
It is both doubly expensive, and harder to get time on the lines for a 2-disc set. So in order to make the 2-disc more valuable on the market, you pull it for awhile and then you'll get another surge in sales when you put it back

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Some of us need to quit whining
I'm bit baffled to find these responses on a home theater message board.

Are you guys just lukewarm on the Abyss, or do you feel this complacent about all your movies?

Hell, even Captain Ron and Cabin Boy got 16x9 treatment.

We are now in the 4th quarter for DVD and Fox has fumbled the Abyss again (three reissues of an old 4:3 transfer).

Seems kinda odd that an 'unpopular' movie would be released three times on DVD alone (two being SEs).

The real letdown is that this may be the final release of the Abyss during the DVD format.

I have the old 4:3 LD and may (at some point) pick up a used copy of the previous SE release, but it won't be a celebration.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I can't understand why people are so hot and bothered over Fox's so-called "double dipping."

If you bought the 2-disc set before... great! You have it already. No muss, no fuss.

If you didn't buy the 2-disc before, you got into DVD late, and only bought the 1-disc when it came out... great! Now you have the opportunity to pick up the more extensive special editions at a pretty low cost (especially compared to when they first came out.) If you're not interested in the 2-disc sets, no worries.

If you bought the 2-disc set before, bought the 1-disc set as well for "collectability", and are complaining because now you have to buy the 2-disc set again to "complete your collection"... well... I, uh, won't say nothing. :D

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Are you guys just lukewarm on the Abyss, or do you feel this complacent about all your movies?
No, we just know that it'll be anamorphic eventually, and that it's quite possible that there will be a chance for even more things to be added (Cameron Commentary, interviews with Mary Elizabeth Matrantonio, the 3 preview chapters from the novelization) and that it'll be worth the double dip when the time comes.

Repackaging happens all the time. It's been happening for years. People just never paid attention to it before and now get all upset when it happens

wally

Second Unit
I wouldn't call this Fox trying to "double dip" but rather a good opportunity for those of us who didn't purchase these sets the first time around.
I'll be buying Cast Away for this very reason. Picked up ID4 and Abyss the first 2 disc time around.

How 'bout a reissue of the old 2 disc issue of Patton Fox? I missed that one too.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Arrg...I'm annoyed since the new ID4 has, in my opinion, cooler cover-art than the original. I won't re-buy it for the cover-art...but damn...

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I get hot and bothered when I see people wasting time and money on something old when they could devote their time to something new. The Abyss: 2-Disc DVD was released when - 1999? It here it is again, showing up as if it is something new and confusing bumbling buffoons like myself! I won't have it! ANAMORPHIC! DTS! Commentary by James Cameron! That would be something worth advertising prominently in the shops! :D

I'm just upset that Fox hasn't announced The Emperor Of The North yet - don't mind me! :laugh:

Lee Marvin as a hobo - what more could you want?!

Gordy

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Then why reissue the 2 disc SE in the first place? Why is it that The Abyss has seen 3 different releases from Fox? Pretty strange marketing decisions for a film that's not that popular.

My questions are rhetorical by the way, and not directed at you Brian. :D

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

My problem is that with the new cover art, new packaging, and prominent floor display, Fox appears to be portraying these re-releases as new product. Seems they almost fooled a few posters in this thread. The whole thing has a slight smell of fish to it. And like another poster mentioned here, I don't like seeing studios spending megabucks on rehashing old releases purely for marketing reasons when there are so many catalog titles waiting to be done. Just my opinion.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I'm a little surprised that so many people purchased the 2-disc reissues thinking they were new products. Surely if they were new you would have seen new specs and reviews posted on this forum or other DVD websites. I'm sure a new anamorphic transfer for The Abyss would have generated much discussion, considering the numerous complaints by posters in this thread.

Look at the T2 Extreme Edition for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks