The Abyss,ID4 and Cast Away reissues. What a crappy way for Fox to try to double dip.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff Adams, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I am sick of seeing reissues and special editions that are no different than the ones that are currently available. I mean if I am wrong, please tell me. Is there anything different about these new editions? I mean transfer, audio quality, anything?
    I should start making a list of these so called Special Editions.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

They are the same, which Fox stated publically, and the 2-disc versions of these films have not been in print for over a year

3. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

These reissues are geared towards people who have recently got into DVD and not us hardcore long time DVD owners. Fox was not saying that these were any different content wise than the previous 2-disc releases. So to me its not a case of double dipping.

I wouldn't complain though if Fox was to double dip with a new anamorphic version of Abyss.

Also the packaging is no longer the double-wide Amaray case. Now it cardboard and plastic. Something like the Digipak, but different.

4. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Okay, maybe I jumped the gun a little bit, but I was just a little bit heated yesterday when I saw this big display booth with these 3 movies in it. It was displayed like they were some kind of new release Special Editions. And I did not know about Fox making a public statement in regards to them being the same version just being repackaged. I am not too happy with Fox. I just don't understand why we can't get an anamorphic version of two really good movies. The Abyss and True Lies. I love those two movies but am not buying them due to I know right after I buy them then Fox will announce anamorphic versions of the film.

5. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

True Lies will come, it's just a question of when.
    As far as Abyss goes, it's an outstanding 4:3 transfer that looks just fine zoomed

7. James St

James St Supporting Actor

Any word on a Patton reissue?

8. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

The Abyss is not even widescreen?

9. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

10. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Jeff,

he meant it is a 4x3 *encoded* DVD. Yes, it's letterboxed, but DVD can be encoded in either of 2 aspect ratio frames: 4x3 or 16x9. So rather than the WS Abyss being 16x9 encoded ("anamorphic") it's 4x3 encoded (4x3 lbx).

11. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

12. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Carl, I am with you. With the transferring technology we have today, there should be no reason why Fox can't give us a flawless anamorphic version of The Abyss. And thanks for clearing that up, I was for sure that Fox at least gave us a 4x3 letterboxed movie.

13. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

The Abyss transfer is FAR from excellent. I'm fine with zooming it on my widescreen set and it is certainly watchable but so is a widescreen VHS tape if you're being tied down to the couch. There's a lot of artifacting in the picture and things are not very vibrant at all. I have no idea how the film looked theatrically but I know this non-anamorphic transfer can be improved on greatly. It's sort of muddy looking.

14. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Yea, 4X3 zoomed is not an option. WE NEED ANAMORPHIC!!!

Talk about a huge disappointment when I found out they hadn't done a anamorphic transfer.

15. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

I was hoping this was going to be one of those Fox secret anamorphic reissues like Ever After.

16. Frank@N

[email protected] Screenwriter

I also rushed the FOX display and immediately grabbed the Abyss set...only to find the same old transfer. Gag!

Doesn't this mean that the next Abyss reissue is years away?

As far as Patton goes, the current release is now priced under $10. Not sure what that means for a reissue: no love for Patton or clearing the shelves for the next release...

I bought it because it was cheap, anamorphic, and a classic. Not sure if I'll need another version till I watch this one.

17. Frank@N

[email protected] Screenwriter

18. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

I bought two of these reissues at Best Buy for $25 and I've gotta say the packaging is pretty bad. It's the same type of crap that was used for the Moulin Rouge set. The biggest problem with this packaging is that the insert does not stay in the cardboard pocket very well at all and there's a possibility the insert could get folded over and creased if I'm not paying attention while closing the packaging. These cardboard things also seem to get worn down pretty easily, even with light usage and delicate handling.

I wouldn't call this Fox trying to "double dip" but rather a good opportunity for those of us who didn't purchase these sets the first time around. However, I do feel bad for those who may have purchased the single disc editions Fox shoved onto the market in the meantime. Many times I came very close to picking up the single disc version of The Sound of Music. Luckily for me, every time I thought of buying it, all I could find was the "FULLSCREEN EDITION."

19. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

I suppose it's safe to assume that The Sound of Music is still the edge enhancement nightmare I've heard about.

20. Anthony_H

Anthony_H Stunt Coordinator

Anthony