What's new

THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW Season One Restored! (2 Viewers)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
24 hours into the campaign and we are at 60% funded. Fantastic, that is certainly an excellent start!

I've gotten several inquiries about current "HD" uploads that are found online. Those streaming versions of the show are not HD, they are the same old analogue scans that have simply been artificially upscaled. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. The difference between those ancient scans and our new restorations are night and day.

The first season episodes were filmed in four separate groups. Usually, all of the scenes for six (or seven) shows were done over a period of ten days.
Seventy years ago today, filming was done on the interior hallway rooming house scenes for episodes one, two, five and six. On set that day were Bud, Lou, Sid Fields, Gordon Jones and Hillary Brooke.

May-22.jpg

Please continue to share the news about this restoration project. Thank you!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Wow, 48 hours in and we are already 71% funded. That is incredible, thank you SO much to everyone for your enthusiasm and support!

Seventy years ago today, they filmed exterior scenes for the first six episodes on the backlot "Roach Street" where so many classic comedies had been made in the 20s and 30s with Laurel and Hardy, Charley Chase, Our Gang and many more.

Joe Besser filmed his first appearance as "Stinky" in the Drugstore episode. Forty-three years old at the time and simply listed as "Boy" on the Call Sheet, this beloved character became an integral part of the shows madness. The world was never the same again.

"I'll harm you!"

May-23.jpg

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Wow, 48 hours in and we are already 71% funded. That is incredible, thank you SO much to everyone for your enthusiasm and support!

Seventy years ago today, they filmed exterior scenes for the first six episodes on the backlot "Roach Street" where so many classic comedies had been made in the 20s and 30s with Laurel and Hardy, Charley Chase, Our Gang and many more.

Joe Besser filmed his first appearance as "Stinky" in the Drugstore episode. Forty-three years old at the time and simply listed as "Boy" on the Call Sheet, this beloved character became an integral part of the shows madness. The world was never the same again.

"I'll harm you!"

May-23.jpg

Joe Besser was very funny in Africa Screams and the A&C TV Show. :laugh:
AAFRICA SCREAMS.jpg

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Seventy years ago today, the company shot additional exterior scenes for episodes one through five on the Hal Roach backlot.

Reuniting with Lou that afternoon was Glenn Strange. Towering one foot above him at 6' 5" and demanding an explanation of some provocative photos taken with his girlfriend, Tessie Tinfoil, the imposing actor had previously menaced Lou as the Frankenstein Monster in 1948. They had recently finished filming COMIN' ROUND THE MOUNTAIN at Universal a few months earlier in February 1951.

Glenn reported to the set at 12:00 and was dismissed at 4:40. It was a beautiful day in Culver City that afternoon with temperatures in the mid-70s, perfect for outdoor filming.

May-24.jpg

PeterOd

Auditioning
Went right to the Kickstarter and did the $50 Donation and added on $125 for the 78 RPM of "Who's On First". For s--ts and giggles, I then went to Ebay and saw a fully certified and signed Abbott & Costello ticket that I thought would look just great framed with the 78 RPM...$850 later..... DAMN YOU BOB FURMANEK!! :)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Went right to the Kickstarter and did the $50 Donation and added on $125 for the 78 RPM of "Who's On First". For s--ts and giggles, I then went to Ebay and saw a fully certified and signed Abbott & Costello ticket that I thought would look just great framed with the 78 RPM...$850 later..... DAMN YOU BOB FURMANEK!! :)
Wow! For $850 you should at least get a piece of the birthday cake with the marshmallows and pink icing Bacciagalupe made for Lou’s birthday!!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
We are seven days into the campaign and 93% funded. That is outstanding!

Seventy years ago, on day seven of principal photography, more interior shots were done for the first group of episodes. We learn that Hillary is a nurse by profession and I suspect that's why she can afford to live in such a deluxe rooming house.

May-28.jpg

Please continue to share the news about this exciting restoration project. We have two really cool stretch goals that are waiting in the wings!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
On this date seventy years ago, additional interior scenes were filmed for episodes two, five and six. We were very privileged to get a glimpse into the backroom of Mr. Bacciagalupe's bakery!

May-29.jpg

We are currently 96% funded and $957.00 short of reaching our goal. If we can sell just twenty more copies of the Blu-ray, I will unlock the first stretch goal and it's a gem. You'll have an opportunity to hear incredibly rare audio from the show that has never been heard before!

Please share this campaign and help us to reach our goal. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks