What's new

THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW Season One Restored! (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I launched the Kickstarter campaign for THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO TV SHOW just nine days ago. We are now a success and this Blu-ray and DVD release of Season One has been funded. Thank you very much for your support of this most exciting restoration project!

Special thanks to Josh Steinberg for putting us over the top!

Here is an update with the first stretch goal for incredibly rare 70 year old audio tracks that have never been heard before. Please share this campaign!

Stretch Goal #1

Abbott (4).jpg

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Seventy years ago on June 1, the final scenes were filmed for the first six episodes. They worked exclusively on the Theater Stage set that day.

Marguerite Campbell was on-set handling the cue cards (more about her later in the campaign) and making a brief appearance was a nineteen year old bit player delivering a telegram to Bud and Lou for the opening of episode six. With just three small supporting roles on her Hollywood resume at the time, it's quite extraordinary to realize that seven decades later, this multiple-award winning actress is now a living legend.

Her name is Rita Moreno!

June 1 Rita Moreno.jpg

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Seventy years ago on June 1, the final scenes were filmed for the first six episodes. They worked exclusively on the Theater Stage set that day.

Marguerite Campbell was on-set handling the cue cards (more about her later in the campaign) and making a brief appearance was a nineteen year old bit player delivering a telegram to Bud and Lou for the opening of episode six. With just three small supporting roles on her Hollywood resume at the time, it's quite extraordinary to realize that seven decades later, this multiple-award winning actress is now a living legend.

Her name is Rita Moreno!

View attachment 99178
Lovely Rita ! :emoji_heart: :D

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Once again, your support and generosity is outstanding. I am delighted to announce that Stretch Goal #2 has been met and the two audio commentaries with Gilbert Gottfried, Frank Santopadre and Ron Palumbo will be included on this set!

I've gotten several inquiries about the rather unusual survival rate of these original 35mm picture and track negatives. That's not always the case with an independently produced and syndicated show from the dawn of television.

Honestly, I was in the right place at the right time 37 years ago to track them down and ensure their survival. If I hadn't been proactive with my research, most (if not all) of these master 35mm negatives would now be gone.

Check out today's update on the campaign for the full story:
Saving the Original Negatives

Bobby2.JPG

Last edited:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Yesterday's update got a nice response so I thought I'd share a little more info with you. These are the eight picture and track negatives (totaling forty-eight reels) that I saved from destruction at Film Salvage in the mid-1980s.

#1 Drug Store, #4 Vacation, #7 Vacuum Cleaner Salesman, #11 Westerner, #17 Wrestling, #19 Chimpanzee, #25 Police Rookie, #26 Safari. (These are the correct episode titles.)

I had mentioned Don Buckles as the gentleman who initially took my call and dug in the warehouse for the elements. Another person mentioned in my original handwritten notes was Robert Freedman. They went to bat for me and took the time to actually look around for the material. This was a HUGE building with literally thousands of film cans and reels. I remember they were physically slicing through films on a bandsaw to destroy them while I was inside.

I also found dozens of 2-inch quad videotapes and was able to secure those masters. One of them was a color George Burns NBC special from June 1960 that was eventually restored by the UCLA Television Archive.

Thank goodness Mr. Buckles and Mr. Freedman made the effort or these precious Abbott and Costello 35mm negatives would be long gone!

cans4.jpg

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Bob,

Thanks for your quick response.
I have to say, I’ve never heard of that show, but glad it was saved, none the less.
I wonder how many other shows both filmed and taped, were destroyed there.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks