What's new
World Wide Stereo

Testing speakers for damage (1 Viewer)

MikeSHU

Agent
I own a pair of Swan M200’s (http://www.theaudioinsider.com/cgi-b...er/SWM200.html) hooked up to a Denon AVR-85 through Pre-amp inputs, which is hooked up to my PC sound card through a digital coaxial cable. I have accidentally put these speakers through some abuse:

1. I turned on the radio with the speaker volume at max (not so bad, right?)

2. A stupid bug in WinAmp played a mono mp3 as data. I think this is called a square wave, it’s like playing a data CD (does anyone know what I’m talking about?). Basically the digital signal was never converted to analog before it reached the speaker.

How likely is it that my speakers are damaged because of this? They do sound a bit different but that may be just the placebo affect. Is there a way to test them?

728x90

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you would have said the don't sound different, I would say there was probably no damage, but since you say there was a difference, I'd be checking tweeters first. It should be very obvious if one or both are blown. You can put your hand over the driver and then remove it. If you hear no difference, the tweeter probably isn't playing. You can also put your ear up to it, with volume low, and listen.

MikeSHU

Agent
The tweeters definately work. The question is do they work as good as they used to? ...can they be damaged or just broken?

I mean I don't hear distortion or anything so its probably placebo, right?

...maybe i'm loosing my hearing

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Tweeters usually don't continue to work when they are damaged, so if you are sure they are working, the speakers are probably OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks