What's new

Can connecting only one speaker damage an AV Receiver ? (1 Viewer)

boblite

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Lightbourne
I ask this because I want to directly compare a Sony 1080 with an Onkyo NR676 by hooking each to one speaker in mono mode and playing the same CD on the Onkyo and then the Sony, and repeating until I get a good idea whether there's any clear difference.

I prefer the connectivity of the Onkyo but have read a somewhat persuasive article arguing that the Sony AV receivers tend to more faithfully reproduce the original sound of instruments.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’ve never heard anything indicating that running only one speaker is bad. It’s usually recommended to have no signal on the vacant channel, however. This would easily be accomplished with the balance control, panning it over to the channel you have the speaker connected to.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The only way I am aware of is if the wires cross on the channel where the speaker was disconnected. I have never heard of damaging a receiver or even a power amp by running it with one speaker or even no speakers.

Jay968

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay
This used to be a problem with tube amps but I too have never heard of any problems with solid state amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks