teflon coating

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Walt Park, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Walt Park

Walt Park Stunt Coordinator

is there a way to coat something with teflon? I found some solid silver (.999) 20 ga wire for about $.55/ft but it's not coated. I could buy some teflon tubing and just slide it in, but then it's still exposed to air. I have thought about shrink wrapping it, but 20 ga is still pretty thin, and heating it to shrink it will probably oxidize it more than leaving it alone.

Any ideas?

I want to braid it with some teflong coated silver plated copper wire (.08/ft) to make some interconnects.

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

How much of a benefit would this 20ga silver wire have over some decent 12ga wire? Is it really worth all that hassle?

3. Walt Park

Not sure, but at 55 cents a foot, and only needing 2 foot interconnects it would cost less than $10 to find out (I was going to try a 1+2 like the cheaper kimbers rather than the cvh recipe wraped around a tube jobbie.

4. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

Walt,
    Where did you find it for $.55 ????????????????????

5. Walt Park

It's sold by weight.You have to buy at least one troy oz at 10.95/oz. At 20 ga, you get about 19 feet, which is where I got that number. I was a little off. If it's 19 feet, its 58 cents/ft.
    http://www.ccsilver.com/silver/fines.html
    Apparently they have $20 minimum or there's a $5 service fee so it could be more than $10 :|. If you wanted 2 oz (38ft) you'd be ok though. Thats what I just ordered. I guess I'll get to see if pure silver really matters or not.
    The teflon coated silver plated copper I found at:
    http://www.apexjr.com/wire.html