What's new

teflon coating (1 Viewer)

Walt Park

Stunt Coordinator
is there a way to coat something with teflon? I found some solid silver (.999) 20 ga wire for about $.55/ft but it's not coated. I could buy some teflon tubing and just slide it in, but then it's still exposed to air. I have thought about shrink wrapping it, but 20 ga is still pretty thin, and heating it to shrink it will probably oxidize it more than leaving it alone.

Any ideas?

I want to braid it with some teflong coated silver plated copper wire (.08/ft) to make some interconnects.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I'd Coat my Willie if I could... But I ain't seen my Willie
in years! (What movie?) :D
Just go with the Teflon tube that's what everyone that
uses Mil Spec silver wire, uses.

Cam S

Screenwriter
How much of a benefit would this 20ga silver wire have over some decent 12ga wire? Is it really worth all that hassle?

Walt Park

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure, but at 55 cents a foot, and only needing 2 foot interconnects it would cost less than $10 to find out (I was going to try a 1+2 like the cheaper kimbers rather than the cvh recipe wraped around a tube jobbie.

Walt Park

Stunt Coordinator
It's sold by weight.You have to buy at least one troy oz at 10.95/oz. At 20 ga, you get about 19 feet, which is where I got that number. I was a little off. If it's 19 feet, its 58 cents/ft.
http://www.ccsilver.com/silver/fines.html
Apparently they have $20 minimum or there's a $5 service fee so it could be more than $10 :|. If you wanted 2 oz (38ft) you'd be ok though. Thats what I just ordered. I guess I'll get to see if pure silver really matters or not.
The teflon coated silver plated copper I found at:
http://www.apexjr.com/wire.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks