What's new

Taking the RPTV plunge... (1 Viewer)

I've decided it's time to upgrade my five year old 27" set to something better. Widescreen and HDTV is a must... my question at this point is RPTV or not RPTV? There's a couple of issues I don't see addressed here often (or at all)...

1) How much ambient light is too much for an RPTV? I don't plan on watching a lot during the day, but there will be some daytime viewing, and I'm concerned that my room is too bright.

2) I have a perfectly nice Bush TV stand that is 47" wide , so it should accomodate up to a 50" 16:9 set with no problem. All RPTVs I've seen are already sitting on some kind of stand, but for many of them it appears to be little more than a color-matched box. Are there RPTV sets that will allow you to remove the stand and use one of your own?

3) Recommendation time... the sets I'm considering:

Panasonic PT-47WX42
Toshiba 42H82
Samsung HCM-4215W
Samsung HCL4715W

Or should I just say bump it and get a nice 36" tube 4:3 HDTV?

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Panasonic PT-47WX42
Toshiba 42H82
Samsung HCM-4215W
Samsung HCL4715W
I'm not familiar with Samsung sets, I personally prefer Toshiba, Mitsubishi, and Hitachi for RPTVs. These sets look wonderful once tweaked.

I recommend using VE or Avia to set up the set when you receive it, and then for the best possible picture quality, spring for a ISF calibration once you've put a few hundred hours on it.

KJP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks