What's new

Insigna vs. Vizio vs. Samsung? (1 Viewer)

Phi4sius

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Well, I'm taking the plunge. After getting a Blu-Ray player for Christmas (Whoo-hoo!!!) I'm gonna be (shortly) getting a brand-new LCD 1080P HDTV. I've had a Toshiba 42H83 RPTV set since 2002 or so so it's time to retire it. With my Christmas money I'm going to be able to pay cash for a new LCD TV.

The brands I'm looking at are:

Insignia (Best Buy's signature brand apparently made by LG)
No complaints that I'm aware of other than too high expectations for the price.

Vizio
Turns to white within a few weeks of purchase.
Turns to black within a few weeks of purchase.
Bleeding, line at the top of the screen, dead pixels.
Warranty service issues
Most complaints show the Vizio failing for good shortly after a year.

Samsung
Auto shut off issue after awhile of having the set
Otherwise no complaints

It seems that Insignia and Samsung both win in terms of quality. The only thing I hate about Samsung is the reflective outside and the reflective picture area.

So I'm posing the question here: Which of the three brands do you feel are best for the price and why? Do you own the above brand? If so, what do you think of its picture on a variety of sources? Do you use the 120 Hz feature often or do you shut it off for most HD viewing? What is your opinion on the higher refresh rate and its contribution to better picture quality?

Brian

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I own the philips 47pfl7403D/f7. I am very happy with it. I do use the 120 refresh rate. I like that as well. its not for everyone, however you get used to it pretty quickly. I have no problem with it.
I had a samsung rear projection, I was never happy with it.. had alot of image problems and stuff. I dont get that with the new tv. I have had it about a year now.. (next month)
I have friends and family that use the vizio. they seem to like it. no complaints there.

Jacob

Phi4sius

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
TheBat- Thank you for the information and recommendations. The one thing that I don't like with my RPTV are exactly what you describe. I haven't liked it for awhile now even after additional calibration and settings changes and I don't have the patience anymore to deal with RPTV. I just want to get a good TV and forget about it so I can watch movies, play games, and enjoy it all in any light situation.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Interestingly, the Insignia comes with a 2 year parts/labor warranty. The others are 1 year, including LG.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
I own mutlitple TV's...DLP, LCD, Plasmas...even an older Tubed tv!. I own 2 Visio LCD's, 1 Panny Plasma, 1 Polaroid LCD, 1 Samsung LCD, Yamaha LCD Projector and a Toshiba DLP.

All TV's do get used quite a bit. I have had none repaired nor experiened any picture degrading picture issues. Personally I wouldnt bother with the Insignia- it is what it is...Might as well Get a Westinghouse or RCA before that.

I enjoy all the images on my TV's...Love the samsung in my bedroom as much as the Visio's in my Poker room. My favorite is still the Panny Plasma.

Course...this is my opinion based on My experiences. I've been happy with the Viso LCD's as with the Samsung. I think there is a chance with any tv to get a bad one...it is electronics. Have fun taking the plunge...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks