What's new

Care and repair and maintenance of our extinct plasma TV’s, just to keep them going a little longer. (1 Viewer)

midvalleyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
My ten year old 50 inch plasma that I've posted about previously has now been retired to the garden shed. No tears:(. Even with the new replacement remote, watching TV became a most unenjoyable experience. The plasma basically works, but it would be dishonest to sell it to anyone. No-one wants it anyway ("it's too small" they all say).

I've purchased a pre-owned LG 55 inch 4K LED LCD TV (with :3dglasses:) off eBay/Gumtree for a few hundred dollars. Around 6 years old - a total pleasure to watch. Comparing it to the Panasonic is like comparing chalk and cheese. OLED doesn't warrant the price on my budget. I reckon the 4K, and a few extra screen inches, is responsible for the huge difference in picture quality!
So, I'm as happy as a p.. in s... :drum:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
My ten year old 50 inch plasma that I've posted about previously has now been retired to the garden shed. No tears:(. Even with the new replacement remote, watching TV became a most unenjoyable experience. The plasma basically works, but it would be dishonest to sell it to anyone. No-one wants it anyway ("it's too small" they all say).

I've purchased a pre-owned LG 55 inch 4K LED LCD TV (with :3dglasses:) off eBay/Gumtree for a few hundred dollars. Around 6 years old - a total pleasure to watch. Comparing it to the Panasonic is like comparing chalk and cheese. OLED doesn't warrant the price on my budget. I reckon the 4K, and a few extra screen inches, is responsible for the huge difference in picture quality!
So, I'm as happy as a p.. in s... :drum:

Second Star to the right……

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I'm wanting to replace my plasma soon. It's a 12-year old 50" 720P Panasonic Viera plasma (TH-50PX80U). It's performed really well over the years and still displays a good picture, however, I'm ready to jump to 4k in my HT. It does suffer from a little burn-in from where wifey would leave it on 4x3 programming for hours at a time when we lived at our old house and the living room doubled as a theater room. I'm thinking I want to go with a 65" QLED. I would love to get an OLED but the price doesn't pass WAF, whereas I can pick up a 65" Vizio M Series or TCL 5 Series QLED for under $700. I'm really hoping she signs off on it within the next week or so and I can possibly get Black Friday pricing on one (or maybe catch a 65" Vizio P series for around $1,000.)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I'm wanting to replace my plasma soon. It's a 12-year old 50" 720P Panasonic Viera plasma (TH-50PX80U). It's performed really well over the years and still displays a good picture, however, I'm ready to jump to 4k in my HT. It does suffer from a little burn-in from where wifey would leave it on 4x3 programming for hours at a time when we lived at our old house and the living room doubled as a theater room. I'm thinking I want to go with a 65" QLED. I would love to get an OLED but the price doesn't pass WAF, whereas I can pick up a 65" Vizio M Series or TCL 5 Series QLED for under $700. I'm really hoping she signs off on it within the next week or so and I can possibly get Black Friday pricing on one (or maybe catch a 65" Vizio P series for around $1,000.)

TCL is what I was looking at a few years ago. I ended up finding a used LG OLED and it has been Amazing!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Any budget model TV, including the TCL and Vizio models you mentioned, are going to be massive improvements over a 12 year old 720p plasma.

I went from a 2012 plasma to a 2018 TCL and I have absolutely no regrets. This TCL is easily the best TV I’ve ever owned. The technology has just come so far so fast that even a budget model 2021 TV is gonna kick the crap out of a top of line model TV from 2009.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone recommend a remote control to replace the worn out remote for my Pioneer PRO RO6U Plasma?

I’m going to try to open the remote and see if I can clean the contracts to rejuvenate it, but I have low hopes. This will keep it going a little longer, but I think while the display still looks ok, media box is running on 7 cylinders. I hate to junk it, but its time may be over soon after 15 years use. I’ll replace it with a new set.

Thanks for any insights.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
I’ve fixed lots of remotes rendered “dead” from leaking batteries ( Duracell be damned ) . They always come back to life after a good clean

white vinegar to remove the caustic battery sludge from the battery contacts and pcb board then isopropyl alcohol to remove the vinegar

then put eveready lithium batteries in as they never leak.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey WillyTass, thanks for the reply. I should have been clearer. My remote works, but in typical fashion it seems, the buttons most used are not working anymore, power, volume up and down and channel. I meant trying to clean those contacts. I’ll try the alcohol on the PCB button contacts.

Agreed about leaking Duracell’s! Luckily, this remote has not been a victim of that.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
I’d pull the whole thing apart. You’d be surprised what gunk I’ve found under buttons. Usually spilt drinks, nicotine, caustic leaked battery fluid, coca cola .

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Wifey gave me the green light to upgrade my old 50” plasma in the HT to a 65” QLED. Now all I have to do is exhaustive research to find the best one. Right now I’m looking at offerings from Vizio, Hisense, and TCL.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’ve fixed lots of remotes rendered “dead” from leaking batteries ( Duracell be damned ) . They always come back to life after a good clean

white vinegar to remove the caustic battery sludge from the battery contacts and pcb board then isopropyl alcohol to remove the vinegar

then put eveready lithium batteries in as they never leak.

I had never heard that about Duracell. But I have cleaned a ton of toys this year with battery leaks.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I tried to clean the remote contacts and most of the keys work. Except the power on/off button. I’m thinking with all the attempts at getting my Pioneer media box replacements on eBay, it’s reached a point I should retire this set. It’s had a great run since 2005.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I tried to clean the remote contacts and most of the keys work. Except the power on/off button. I’m thinking with all the attempts at getting my Pioneer media box replacements on eBay, it’s reached a point I should retire this set. It’s had a great run since 2005.

The search for OLED!

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Clinton, good luck in your TV search!
Thanks. I want an OLED but wifey is frowning at the cost so I have to stick with QLED or equivalent FALD tech for around $900-$1000. We have two Vizio M series in bedrooms and I’m satisfied with their performance. My top pick right now is a 2021 Vizio P quantum but my fear is motion blur / artifacting and black smear during action scenes. This display will be for 100% movie watching via Blu-ray, UHD, and streaming on TV 4K box.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Osato, I actually did just get an OLED delivered to my house last week! It is for my main system. The Pioneer has been removed from the family room area I was using it in and replaced by my old Panasonic plasma that was my main HT display. The old Pioneer is now retired. But I still want another TV to replace that Pioneer for use in another room. I’ll take my time. No rush. But the sales coming up might prove tempting.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thanks. I want an OLED but wifey is frowning at the cost so I have to stick with QLED or equivalent FALD tech for around $900-$1000. We have two Vizio M series in bedrooms and I’m satisfied with their performance. My top pick right now is a 2021 Vizio P quantum but my fear is motion blur / artifacting and black smear during action scenes. This display will be for 100% movie watching via Blu-ray, UHD, and streaming on TV 4K box.

Before buying a used LG OLED in 2019 I was drawn to the TCL series 6. This was what I was saving for. Reviews were very good at the time.
I haven’t stayed up on reviews to know the current market though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks