What's new

Help with living room setup (1 Viewer)

brosborough

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Rosborough
Wow, I have not really looked at home theater setups since maybe 2005 I think? So much has changed. Research is your best friend but i could sure use some help to narrow down what I should be looking at. Here is what I have and what i am looking for.

Pioneer Plasma PDP-5010FD TV.
Onkyo TX-SR805 Receiver
Energy 5.1, have replaced this once long time ago when the L&R speakers went bad. So saved the 2 rear, and on the next install i now have 7.1
Sony playstation 3 for Blu-Ray player.

Yesterday the subwoofer started having issues. Seems that it is causing a short inside my receiver now. If i plug the subwoofer in, the receiver will make a loud pop, but base sound pop, so the subwoofer is making the noise, and then no speakers work. I can't power off/on the receiver to reset it either. I have to actually unplug it.

Leave the subwoofer disconnected, no problem. I've been really thinking about going 4k and this little mishap kind of has me wanting to take the plunge.

First things, first. As much as I want to do Dolby Atmos, i think that is just out of the budget picture. Installation in my ceiling would suck, and not so sure I can afford the really fancy L&R speakers which have those atmos setups on top.

TV. This is where most of my budget will go. Now I know me, i want big! If i could afford 100" screen i would buy it!! I could swing the $2000 range if necessary, which only seems to pop up if I want to go LG OLED 65". I'll be in the $2k range if not straight up $3k. Is the TV that good? I see a lot of 77" models, 75" models, far cheaper. I know you get what you pay for, and if I go to Best Buy for example and view all the different TV's, yes, i can see a difference. Subtle, and who knows if they are making one TV look better than another to sell it, but I just can't tell if it is worth the money. Don't think I would ever be unhappy with the OLED, but i might always think in the back of my head that i could have gotten the new Visco XLED 75" or the E80 TV and be just as happy. Size is my big hang up here, but i don't want to sacrifice too much quality doing it. I sit ~12' away from the TV.

When i bought my Plasma back in the day, seems like bar none for movies there is was no better TV. Period. Now everything has a good review. I can't make up my mind. Can i spend $2k or a little less and be just as happy as the $3K OLED? Probably too subjective but maybe i'll get a good answer that will help me decide.

Receiver - stuck here as well. Every time I think i found one, Onkyo or Denon, around the $500 dollar price range, I get hit with enough bad reviews that i second guess the purchase. I'm looking for the ability to do Dolby Atmos maybe, i'll keep thinking about it, but for now, just want a good 7.1 which will pass all the fancy 4k ultra signals from my Direct TV cable box, Netflix, Vudu, and the soon to be bought 4k movies. Is there a general 1-3 models which would all be good purchases? I'd like to hit around $500 if possible. Then again, if that is not possible, tell me what i have to go to for it to be possible. Maybe that will affect my TV purchase size.

Blu-Ray Player. Would the XBox One X work? Movie playback is what i want. It would just be nice to also have a new gaming system, just for the once in a while time i want to play. But I spend all my time on movies really. Every Tuesday i am at the video store buying the latest Blu-Ray to release. Will be going there shortly to get Venom and The House with a Clock in its Walls. Also, almost everything I own is Blu-Ray right now, I do have some older DVD's but never really watch them. I only buy the blu-ray, digital copy, and dvd copy if they sell it. And the dvd's are played in the car on trips for the kids, or in my RV when we are camping. I know, i'm sick, i can't help it, i love my movies. So will the Xbox one X make me happy or no, buy the sony/panasonic ultra blu-ray player because there is just no comparison.

Speakers - While I would love to buy the Klipsch 208 theater system, I wouldn't have any money left for the TV or blu-ray player. LOL. I've been very happy with my Energy, and while the option might be to just buy a subwoofer, i could probably rebuy that 5.1 set, and now i have 4 speakers that I could mount high up on the walls, next to my ceiling and get dolby atmos???? Or no, won't really work that way unless they are in the ceiling point directly down on me, so don't go that route. Also, maybe there is a new setup, smaller 5.1 or 7.1, which will take my surround sound to the next level? Maybe something from KEF or Klipsch would exceed these energy's, and while they might not cost $400 I could maybe get into it for $500-800?

Or stick with the Energy, because until I can afford going with R&L Towers, Pre-AMP Receiver, etc, for several grand, i really am not going "hear" much of a difference.

Thanks in advance, sorry, with my subwoofer broken, i can't stand it. I want to just run out and buy everything now. I thought I could google search or hit these forums real fast and get some clear cut answers for smaller setups like mine but no such luck this time around. Seems like everything has a good review, so i go to Amazon to buy, and wammo, everyone who bought it hates it. WTF, how did the CNET or Home Audio, Crutchfield think it was so great?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Personally I’d just replace the sub and call it a day. It won’t be hard at all to get something that will blow away the Energy. IMO trading a $1000 receiver for a $500 one is not an upgrade, no matter the new technology. Just how much true 4k programming is out there anyway?

Give up that Pioneer plasma?? Perish the thought. IMO the reason all the TV reviews are “good” is because there is no longer a Pioneer TV for comparison. After living for years with a Pioneer TV, I doubt you will be happy with anything less than an OLED as a replacement. Personally I’m hoping my Pioneer plasmas hold up until OLED is down to $1000 or less on the used market.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

brosborough

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Rosborough
Was thinking the same thing with TV. I went and looked again. That 65” LG OLED is really nice. If I do upgrade the plasma will go to the bedroom.

But receiver? That was like $400 or $500 when I bought it in 06 or maybe 07. Not sure that was ever a $1000 receiver.

Curious if that is what I would have to go to though if I want true 4K on that oled. $1000 receiver is just what you have to spend? Minimum at that?

Thanks

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
But receiver? That was like $400 or $500 when I bought it in 06 or maybe 07. Not sure that was ever a $1000 receiver.
That was the price given in a review I found on line. Looks like you got a great deal on it.

Curious if that is what I would have to go to though if I want true 4K on that oled. $1000 receiver is just what you have to spend? Minimum at that?
Can’t help you there, I’m not up on 4k and don’t intend to upgrade my old gear anytime soon.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Blu-Ray Player. Would the XBox One X work? Movie playback is what i want. It would just be nice to also have a new gaming system, just for the once in a while time i want to play. But I spend all my time on movies really. Every Tuesday i am at the video store buying the latest Blu-Ray to release. Will be going there shortly to get Venom and The House with a Clock in its Walls. Also, almost everything I own is Blu-Ray right now, I do have some older DVD's but never really watch them. I only buy the blu-ray, digital copy, and dvd copy if they sell it. And the dvd's are played in the car on trips for the kids, or in my RV when we are camping. I know, i'm sick, i can't help it, i love my movies. So will the Xbox one X make me happy or no, buy the sony/panasonic ultra blu-ray player because there is just no comparison.
The X-Box ONE X (or S) will play blu-rays, dvds and CDS ... NOT HD-DVDs ... (at least for the ONE S). I would suggest downloading the player accessory first ... It will also play 4K UHD discs but AFAIK it will not downscale a 4k disc as most players will.

You may want to purchase a remote for the X-Box or use a programmable remote you already have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks