SAMSUNG HL-SxxxxW's - LED vs Traditional - Help!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by WendellW, May 22, 2006.

1. WendellW

WendellW Auditioning

SAMSUNG HL-SxxxxW's - LED or Traditional?
    Hey all:

I thought I'd posted this last week, but it never appeared, so here goes again:

I'm getting very close to taking the plunge on the Samsung HL-S6168W RPTV, as it seems to have found that "sweet spot" of great reviews, great price, and right size. Now, knowing that there will always be the "next great thing" available the minute after you plop down the ol' credit card, I'm hesitating slightly, knowing that the new Samsungs are out there with the LED light engines. So I'm asking you all your thoughts, and offer the following rationales I'm tossing around:

One of the great things about the 87 series (traditional light engine) is the 10,000:1 contrast ratio. Sam's specs on the LED devices shows 4,000:1. Seems like the nod goes to the 87.

$1000 more, more or less. Is it worth it?

LED's have a 20,000 hour life, the traditional bulbs 2,000 to 3,000 hours. How much to expect to pay for a new LED engine when it goes, and do the lamps for the traditional boxes REALLY cost $200 - $300? Wouldn't one be able to shop online and get some better prices?

Would the LED's be brighter than the traditional lights? Experience suggests no.

Doesn't Samsung's new color wheel diminish much, if not most of the potential rainbow effects? I don't see any of the reviews making much of that being a problem with the 87 Series.

I'd just like some of you more experienced folks out there to help me decide if going with the 87 is just fine, or whether the LED is the better choice, and then going to my "VP for Financial Affairs" to spring for the upgrade!

Thanks in advance

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The LED units have potential but I hope they work out their color space issues. The ones on display at CES only show about 90% of the NTSC color triangle ... and show 40% more outside the triangle ... which means nothing since there is no material out there for the 40% to show.

Regards

3. WendellW

WendellW Auditioning

I'm inclined to not be an early adopter of a yet unproven technology, I'd guess. Make sense?