What's new

T2: Extreme Edition info (2 Viewers)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Here's a rather interesting feature that will supposedly be on the "Xtreme Edition" that a poster on AVS says he read about on a Danish AV forum:

• "T2: High-Definition"-The complete theatrical version of the film in Microsoft Windows Media 9 series, playable in high resolution and 5.1 sound directly from your PC
Intriguing, but it raises a lot of questions.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
That is a strange "feature" ... It would be pretty kewl to have a big ol' high res version, even if it is compressed heavily.

John CW

Supporting Actor
Wow. I don't think it's possible (space wise) but imagine if they did include a High Definition version for monitors! Wow!!

I guess that means those with HDTV's and DVI outputs on their computer could watch a HD version of the film(?)

Wow.

~ Johnny

Jonny K

Second Unit
So has anybody actually seen this thing yet? I've been wanting to get the Ultimate Edition, but now maybe I'll go for this instead. Extras don't matter to me, but picture and sound do.

Also, where can I find it in Canada?

Jonny K. :)

Kami

Screenwriter
This bit is also posted at dvd.ign.com
Today the final specs for Artisan's upcoming re-re-release of Terminator 2: Judgment Day arrived and they confirmed a long-running rumor that the DVD would include a high-definition version of the film using a Microsoft Windows Media Player 9 file.

This may sound strange to you, but it is actually quite cool. Microsoft has developed a low-bitrate HD compression codec that is just now being experimented with on some Artisan DVDs. It allows high-def quality video on the same amount of disc space as a regular single-layer DVD.
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/393/393023p1.html

Also the cover (forgive me if it's been posted)

Jonny K

Second Unit
That Media Player version included is pretty cool. So then I've gotta wonder what's better...watching the DVD on the computer, or watching the MWA file on the DVD on the computer? :)

Jonny K.

Todd_B

Second Unit
^ I've been scrambling to find someone I know w/a machine fast enough to run this puppy..to do just that :)

Todd B

Jonny K

Second Unit
Oh how I'd love to hook up a projector to my computer! But I'm afraid being the poor student that I am, I have no way of getting anything half decent at the moment. I saw just recently somebody posted an ad at the University asking $2500 Canadian for an old projector that could do 800x600 resolution. $2500 for that old thing? How lame.

Jonny K.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
So let me get this straight. Microsoft has managed to HEAVILY compress a hidef stream of T2 to fit into 3GB of data. But it'll only play on windows media player 9 and it will only play on windows and you can only watch it on your computer (unless you route it through your video out) and you need an extremely fast pc to watch it?

No thanks...I'll wait for real hidef dvd's, not some experiment that they say looks just fine.

Demo's of this are at: http://windowsmedia.com/9Series/Demo...p=VideoQuality

I'm d/l one now so I can judge myself, but I have extreme doubts.

Update:

Downloaded one of the demos. My machine at work isn't the snappiest, but its a 1.3Ghz P4 with 512 ram and the thing chopped like a maniac. I saw may 6 frames out of the entire demo. So I would love to know what kind of a machine is needed to play these. At the bottom it indicated 6494 Kbits/second thoroughput. Video is a 1280x720 size, 384 kbps, 48kHz, 5.1 channel 24-bit sound.

Jonny K

Second Unit
Well I think it's awesome that there are FINALLY high res movies on the PC. I'm always annoyed that when I blow up a smaller movie to full screen It looks like crap. I'm downloading the samples now to see how they play for me. I run my screen res at 1280x1024, so these clips should fit perfectly...

The real question is, what looks better? The DVD or the WMA? The WMA is certainly higher resolution. (I think).

Update:

Ok, checked out the demo movies. They play sweet and smooth. My system in an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (1.53 GHZ) with 768MB of 133MHZ DDR ram.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Oh how I'd love to hook up a projector to my computer! But I'm afraid being the poor student that I am, I have no way of getting anything half decent at the moment. I saw just recently somebody posted an ad at the University asking $2500 Canadian for an old projector that could do 800x600 resolution. $2500 for that old thing? How lame.
And dont forget a few hundred $$$ for each replacement bulb.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know when Artisan usually sends out screeners to the reviewers? I wonder when we can expect a review.

Craig W

Second Unit
As far as WMA9 performance goes, is not the finally video performance more determined by the video card and not the processor speed and memory? 1080p is a lot of data for the video card to crunch for FMV.

UPDATE: After looking at the details regarding this WM format, MS recomends that a P4 2.4, an AMD 2100 or faster processor is used in conjunction with a ATI or NVidia AGP4x card. So it appears that even with a higher grade video card that this format takes up a lot of processing power. In other words not many be able to appreciate it at this point in time.

While I like the idea of trying something on a DVD, I really wish MS would stay out of entertainment business where HiDef is concerned.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would buy a new version of T2 in a heart beat if it has a DTS soundtrack :D . I realize that since the master is a HD master that there will be a HD-DVD version out sometime in the future. It is hard to say but only the movie studios and equipment manufacturers know when that may be. Maybe sooner than we think? Especially since Sony just released there HD-DVD Recorder in Japan. Maybe we will get HD-DVD in the next 2 to 5 years ?? I bet T2 and Lords of the Rings will be two of the first HD-DVD releases, lol. I can just see it now, T2 on a HD-DVD in DTS :D :D :D . Too bad we will not see Star Wars in DTS on a HD source :thumbsdown:.

Cant wait to have T2 available on HD-DVD

Craig W

Second Unit
Dave,

I disagree with the idea that LOTR will be some of the first releases. I have a feeling that the SW model will be used. You can't sell a multimillion units without multimillion players in the households.

This is the exact reason why Jurassic Park was delayed so long and other Speilberg titles were delayed so long. Lucas is bound and determined to release SW in episodic order on DVD and not in theatrical release order.

I hope your right, but on the other hand DVD production is much better today than it was on those first titles in 97.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
You may be right Craig but you cant blame me for dreaming :). The one problem is that the first generation HD-DVD recorder is around 3k and most people are not going to rush out and purchase a unit for that much $$$. For HD-DVD to take off really well IMHO more people are going to have to go out and purchase HD sets. The upside for movie studios is amazing for HD progams. Especially since they can resale movies in HD all over again, lmao.

I could not imagine using Windows Media 9 for anything to be totally honest with everyone here. Media 9 is so bugy that sure you might get some nice performance using it but it is bugy and it also does not support all the new codex's. So when something needs a new codex and Microsft will not support it, what will people do? I feel Microsoft should keep there snout out of HT and music! They messed up the pc world we do not need them to mess up movies and music as well.

Back to T2.

Is T2 available on D-VHS yet?

Jonny K

Second Unit
Actually, Media player has proven itself to be the most versatile and well done media player that I've ever seen. Doesn't support codecs? It's supported everything I've ever wanted to use it for. It supports gamuts of codecs, and if it doesn't work with a particular one, then chances are that very few people actually have a use for that codec. The only thing that I can think of that I can't play with Media Player is Quicktime files, and that's quite simply because Apple won't let them.

And buggy? I doubt that. Chances are that if you have trouble with Media Player, then you've kept poor care of your computer system. My system is in top shape and I've NEVER had any issues with Media Player.

And they've messed up the PC world? Sure a lot of stuff from MS sucks, but if you didn't have them then where would you be? MS takes the huge responsibility of trying to please everybody. They are the common base that all programs run off of, and that all companies deal with. Without MS the PC would lack structure, we'd all be running Linux and having a horrid time trying to get everything working. Ever try Linux? Ever try to watch a movie in Linux? Everything in Linux takes time and energy. As much as some people may hate them, I'm happy that Microsoft made Windows.

As for credibility, allow me to present that fact that I've been a computer nerd for years, I'm going into my fourth year of computer science at university, and I use both Windows XP and Linux on the same computer.

Give Microsoft some credit. As much as you can't live with them, you also can't live without them.

*steps off soapbox*

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I know one of the big deals about this re-release is the "new" 1080i transfer. Is it the same 1080i transfer made for the DVHS release? Or is it ANOTHER (4th overall) transfer of this film?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks