What's new

T2: Extreme Edition info (1 Viewer)

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator
this is a new new transfer, not the one used for the DVHS release. So some of us are hoping that there won't be any EE on the dvd. Fingers crossed...

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
I have gone through three copies of the UE and each one at the final chapter always pauses, then the screen goes black, then it starts playing the chapter. It's weird. I guess it's my DVD Player.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hello Jonny K

I am also involved with computers and have been for some time now. I also have mentors that know much more than myself and are programers. Yes Microsoft has done some cool things but much of what they do lately are full of bugs and have security issues. The previous version of Media Player did not have some of the new features. But it was not as bugy and did not crash like the new one does from time to time. I have know people that have had issues with Media Player even playing dvd's. And yes they and myself do take care of our pc's. I would rather use Power DVD to play dvd movies than Media Player. And Microsoft does not truely support many codex's. And it not all codex's that are not used. Microsoft acually blocks some of the codex's and locks them out from being installed. I hope that other companies keep them out of the market. I dont need my dvd or hd-dvd player suffering from blue screen because the firmware locked up. Let the ht business make is own gear and Microsoft can keep to pc's where the belong. May be one day they will stop releasing bugy software.

I was not one of the top Micrsoft people that came out and said " People often confuse security with relyability we are not in the security business." That was because after saying security was job 1 they relized that they could not secure there own bugy software.

Jonny K

Second Unit
Hahaha. Keep MS outta home theater? I'm afraid I can't see that happening. In fact, I can see MS making a clear entry into it. Just look at the X-Box. It's the first step in the whole "Microsoft Home Media Center" kinda plan. First they fill the homes with X-Boxes, then suddenly those X-Boxes turn into family room PCs, then into all-in-one PC/Media Center/Receivers. Far fetched? Maybe. But wait a few years. From what I know of Microsoft, they're getting into EVERYTHING. It's only a matter of time before HT is infected as well.

Have a nice day.

Jonny K. :)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would not put it past them Jonny it is a scarry thought thinking that MS would get involved with HT. There is nothing they can do that would enhance the HT exsperience. I fear all the would do is compress the heck out of stuff and we would end up with second rate HT. But you are correct that they are try to get into areas they have not been before.

John CW

Supporting Actor
Not sure about you guys, but I remember comparing video quality with WMP and PowerDVD XP and WMP did something odd to the picture, like "enhanced" it somehow and it ended up looking softer or something (I can't remember).

This was with WMP8, I haven't compared 9 yet.

~ John

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
OT I know but I thought I'd mention that my T2:UE R1 does the exact same thing on my Pioneer DV-525 as Scott has described. It's the last 'branching point' on the disc, where the alternate ending is spliced in (or not, depending on what version of the movie you're watching). And I've learned to live with it, seeing it as a brief interruption (like the layer break) rather than an actual fault with the disc. It's still not enough to make me consider the Extreme Edition though!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I really look forward to the reviews for this one. Hopefully, it won't be too much longer.

Jonny K

Second Unit
Oooh oooh ooh! I want it! I've been waiting to get T2 for a while, and this may be my chance!

Jonny K.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Well, it looks to me like there will be no recycling of extra material from the Ultimate Edition. If that's true, I don't think this is such a bad idea after all...
Because then this disc is meant as a supplemental disc to the ultimate edition with additional bonus material not available when the UE was released. If you want extra bonus material and a new transfer, then there should be no problem in bying this disc, especially if the price is relatively low.
For the moment, I'm quite satisfied with the current edition, but I might "upgrade" with this version in the future... :)

Kristoffer

Second Unit
Ok, I never noticed EE before,
but when I saw this again I noticed it a lot!
Especially in the dyson house with Sarah Corner,
I don't know though,, besides that im happy with the set, plus its got that cool Metal!

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I have read a ton of posts in this thread and is there anyone out there who can answer this as simply as possible? Will the new T2 Extreme Edition have better picture and sound quality for someone who has a 64 inch 16x9 hdtv with a progressive scan dvd player, hooked up through component video and 7.1 surround sound? I have no interest at all with viewing a 1080p version on my pc. I only care about how good the audio and video are. And I really don't care about 20 hrs of extras. Is there going to be anythin special about the new anamorphic transfer? Is there going to be a discrete 6.1 DTS ES soundtrack?

Jonny K

Second Unit
What I'm wondering is what looks better, playing it via DVD to TV, or playing it via computer with TV-out?

Jonny K.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,

They completely restored each frame of the film - so unless there is some serious incompetence over at Artisan, this should be a significant, if not, dramatic improvement over the original. Hopefully, there will be no EE this time. Also, there is no DTS track --- DD-EX 5.1

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Without a DTS track I think I will not buy the new extreme edition. I own the ultimate edition and at least that has a DTS track as well as looking good. I can watch the movie the way it was in the theater or with the extra footage. And besides the Ultimate Edition allready has DD-EX 5.1 so getting this disc would be a waste unless you dont have a resent release of the dvd. If I only had the origintal dvd release or if I only had my Dolby Prologic LD copy then I would definatly buy the new update copy if DTS was not a major need.

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
What I'm wondering is what looks better, playing it via DVD to TV, or playing it via computer with TV-out?
That will depend entirely upon the quality of either piece of equipment. A DVD player with progressive component output is far better than the s-video output you find on many PC VGA cards; but if your TV/projector has an RGB input then a PC is going to give you much better resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks