What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Shout Factory brings Michael Crichton’s 1978 medical thriller Coma to Blu-ray in a new “Special Edition” that includes a new transfer and commentary track.

Coma (1978)

Released: 06 Jan 1978
Rated: PG
Runtime: 113 min

Director: Michael Crichton
Genre: Drama, Mystery, Thriller

Cast: Michael Douglas, Rip Torn, Geneviève Bujold
Writer(s): Michael Crichton, Robin Cook

Plot: When a young female doctor notices an unnatural amount of comas occurring in her hospital she uncovers a horrible conspiracy.

IMDB rating: 6.9
MetaScore: 60

Disc Information

Studio: Warner Brothers
Distributed By: Shout! Factory
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Audio: English 2.0...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

pkerseydw

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul K
Thank you for this excellent review. With the price on Coma being pretty high for a catalog title, I wanted to see an educated opinion on how good this new 2K transfer was.

Also, I appreciate the way you approach your reviews, making them easy to digest for film fans like myself, who are not technical experts.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Coma remains one of my favorite modern day "gothic" films and Goldsmith's score makes it just that. I saw this film when it opened many times in several quality theaters. I had many creepy dreams about being on one of the rafters above all of the bodies in the Jefferson Institute, while the guards were looking for me and this set is one of the coolest I have seen in a motion picture. In one of the theaters I saw it Coma in, there was a masking issue on the top of the screen and when Bujold comes thru the double glass door, while Michael Douglas is waiting for her after she obtains the "list" of names, the boom mike was ever so present following Bujold thru the doors and gliding above both her and Douglas's head! I think she looks great in this film and is as good as she was in Dead Ringers. I was lucky enough to obtain two versions of the one sheet, the one with the draped nudity on the body in the Jefferson Institute and another with no draping on the body.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
Believe you mean ‘taut thriller’. Unless the thriller taught other thrillers how to, well, be thrilling.

Last edited:

pkerseydw

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul K
I’d like to see if a 4K is coming before I bite.
Doubtful that 4K will be coming anytime soon… I say that based on the fact that this is a 2K scan that is new for 2023. If it had been a 4K scan, then I would say a 4K release will coming within the next two years

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
No doubt but one can always hope. The 2K interposition scan suggests that perhaps the original camera negative might need substantial work for which Shout didn’t want to pay for and, given this is a 2K release, that they thought it just wasn’t worth it. At least that’s my take.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
Thank you for this excellent review. With the price on Coma being pretty high for a catalog title, I wanted to see an educated opinion on how good this new 2K transfer was.

Also, I appreciate the way you approach your reviews, making them easy to digest for film fans like myself, who are not technical experts.
Yep. Gives an excellent overview on the release. I will probably upgrade this but want to wait for a sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks