SVS sub x-over?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by James Buhler, Apr 26, 2004.

1. James Buhler

James Buhler Stunt Coordinator

HI,

I'm still thinking of buying a 1646CS and wanted to use a seperate amp to drive it. (QSC RMX850) However, in thinking about this I realized that I won't have any way to adjust the crossover freq. as I would with the powered sub. My reciever has no real bass management (HK AVR-500) with a crossover point of 80Hz I believe. This wouldn't really meet my needs as I do like to adjust the crossover to meet the needs of the source material I am listening to. (40hz for music etc.) Does anyone have any ideas of how I can overcome this dilemma without spending major bucks?

Thanks,

James

2. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    How much bass management do you need? You aren't going to get a lot more with a powered sub.....Sure, you'll have a variable cross-over point. But 80 is sufficient for most peoples purposes. I have a fixed 80 cross-over in my Onkyo and it hasn't proven limiting. I could use the variable cross in my sub, but I've not had the need.

I guess I don't see it as that big of a deal. Perhaps others will chime in with differing opinions.

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

I'll echo Stephen's reasoning. Just plug the sub out into the external amp with an 80 Hz xo and have at it. I use 80 Hz for HT/music and also find it an excellent choice.

If all fails, buy an Outlaw ICBM for $250.