What's new

SVS PB1-Plus or PB2-Plus (1 Viewer)

TonyWright

Second Unit
Ed,

I'll take your advice. American-Antique it is! :D

What do you think of the idea to place the sub next to the monitor? Do you think it could damage the monitor or knock it out of alignment?

Tony

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

You mean on the right side of the monitor? You will have to reconverge the set after it warms up, that's about it. While RPHDTVs are less susceptible to mag field interference than tube TVs, they are not immune to it. If I move my PB2-Ultra away from my HDTV, it throws the convergence off. Fortunately, almost all sets have some form of auto-convergence that can be done at the touch of a button.

I wouldn't worry about the vibes; I've had various SVS products next to my Hitachi for a few years with no problems. The ISF tech told me everything in there is very solidly mounted.

TonyWright

Second Unit
Thanks Ed!

I was actually meaning that I would move the receiver and such to the right side of the monitor and the SVS would go on the left side. It all really depends on where it sounds best. I'll have to play around with it a little.

Good to know that the vibes won't hurt the monitor though.

Thanks for the help!

Tony

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Glad we could help, Tony. :)

Yes, experimenting with placement will be the key to good bass response at the listening position. Try several spots in the room (even the right corner near the glass) and trust your ears.

If you will be placing the sub in the front stage between the mains, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for music as well as HT. Running the 6.1's on small will relieve the h/k amp stage of the heavy bass work, freeing up lots of power for the mids and highs. And you will experience a reduction in Intermodulation Distortion by relieving the 6.1 woofers of the really deep stuff; the mid bass and lower midrange should clean up nicely.

The SVS products do not need to be run hot to impress. I run mine flat (or slightly hot) for HT, and actually a bit cool for music - seamless blending on music is very important. A good way to tell if your sub is well blended is to compare the Swan 6.1's on full range to the Swan 6.1's high passed with the SVS in the loop. When the sub level is correct, the two configs should sound almost identical from a bass strength/volume standpoint (except on the deepest stuff, where the SVS will pull away).

Don't hesitate to ask for additional set-up advice, and let us know your impressions for music and theater after you get 'er dialed in and running optimally. :emoji_thumbsup:

TonyWright

Second Unit
Ed,

I'm a bit confused by the following quote.

Could you explain this a little further? Could I achieve this high pass configuration by using the binding posts on the back of the sub?

I have always been a bit confused as to how to use the sub for music. If I run my H/K in "direct" or "no surround" mode would it not totally ignore the sub, and everything but the mains for that matter?

I ask becuase I would really like to be able to use the sub for music as well as HT.

Thanks in adavnce.

Tony

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

I was referring to running the 6.1's on small and the sub to on/yes for 2 channel music, the same as you would for HT applications.

Some AVRs have the capability of altering the subwoofer level for different processing modes. So even if you are using the same digital coax cable from the player for 2 channel music, you can often select a different sub level for DD/DTS vs. Stereo.

Since the Swans have dual 8" woofers, you might also want to experiment with a lower xo for music vice HT. Your h/k probably can go down to 40-50 Hz on the xo, and that might be perfect for the SVS on music applications. The lower the xo for music, the less likely you will be able to localize the sub if it isn't located between the mains. If it is between the mains, it won't matter nearly as much, and you can probably leave it at 80 Hz.

Another option to control your subwoofer level for music is to have a player with on-board digital bass management and analog outputs (the standard config for DVD-A and SACD players). You can do all your BM and channel levels at the player, and output the analog signal to the AVR external analog inputs. I use the analog outputs from my player for all music applications (2 channel redbook, SACD, DVD-A, DTS-Audio).

Lot's of ways to skin this cat, but the main concept you should take away is that hardly anyone is ever satisfied with the same subwoofer level for HT vs. music, and there is often a 3-4 dB disparity between the two calibration levels. And many also use a lower xo for music, particularly if the sub isn't located between the mains.

Regards,

Ed

TonyWright

Second Unit
Ed,

I think my H/K can go that low refering to xo settings. I'll double check tonight to be sure. I was reading the manual for the H/K a minute ago (on H/K's website) and it looks as though it can do both a normal stereo mode (strictly 2 channel) and a DSP enhanced stero mode to supply bass management.

I just didn't know it would make use of a sub in 2 channel mode.

My DVD player (Pioneer 563A) has a fairly comprehensive suite of settings as it is can play DVD-A and SACD. I will look more closely at that device tonight as well to see what it can do for me.

Many thanks for all the great info. BTW, I have started reading through the Primer you mentioned before. That is full of great info.

Tony

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Bottom line it Ed, what would be the most bang for the buck, 1 PB2 Plus or 2 PB1 Pluses since the cost would be about the same.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

One PB2-Plus = $1,200
Two PB1-Plus = $2,200

Perhaps you were thinking of the PB2-Ultra for $2,400?

Anyway, the most "bang for the buck" in the SVS line-up is clearly the PB2-Plus. No other OEM subwoofer can touch it for $1,200.

That doesn't mean it's the best subwoofer for everyone who has $1,200 to spend. For Tony, the furniture grade finish and still very potent performance package tipped the scales in favor of the PB1+.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Tony,

Whenever you make your purchase, please post some pics of the results. I'm sure you'll be very pleased with your choice. I started off with a 20-39 PC+ and I had plenty of bass for my room. But, I am a bass nut, so I upgraded to the PB2+. Now I am happy, but for the average guy, the 20-39 PC+ easily produced enough bass. So, going with the PB1+ is a great choice, especially with the nice finishes you can get. I can't wait to see how this turns out for you.

George

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
PB2+ without a doubt for your sized room especially if you have vaulted ceilings and any small openings into any other room. Actually I hid mine in the far corner. The wife put a nice Arizona doilie rug thing over it diamond ways and we put a lamp and clock on it. No one has ever said anything about it it a room this size. Anyway I gave up dual 12" NHT sealed subs for the PB2+ and have never looked back. At least for my room its perfect.

TonyWright

Second Unit
George,

I'll certainly post some pics after I have taken delivery of the sub. Knowing me, I'll have pics of the packaging, the installation process and maybe even the Bax guy that will deliver it trying to get it into my house!

Could be a while though, the wife is giving me grief. I need to figure out a way to pull $1200 together and fast. After all this talk about the sub, I don't want to wait any longer.

Looking for some spare work here to feed my addiction. Anyone need some web site work done? :D

Just kidding...

TonyWright

Second Unit
Mike,

The jury is still out on the SVS that is right for me although I am 95% sure that I want the PB1+. I think my listening preferences are a little on the quieter side, so I don't know if I'll need all that power that is the PB2+.

Who knows though, my wife is making this purchase a little difficult :frowning:. I have to figure out a way to scrounge up $1200 becuase she won't let me use any more of "our" money on "my" theater stuff. Bummer. No worries though, I'll figure something out. I always do...:D

Anyway, by the time I have the bucks I need I may have changed my mind to the PB2+.

The furniture grade finish on that PB1+ is outstanding though.

Tony

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I have to figure out a way to scrounge up $1200 becuase she won't let me use any more of "our" money on "my" theater stuff. Bummer. No worries though, I'll figure something out. I always do...
__________________________________________________ _____

I have stories;) Embezzle and lye come to mind. O, and fake mails with absolutely incredible pricing. I am trying to walk the straight and narrow now though.

Only you can make the decision. Ed gave you some very good advice and others have to. I understand wanting to go the extra db though.

I just went through the same thing on my present purchase.

TonyWright

Second Unit
I am almost 100% sure that I'll go with the PB1+. The only thing that makes me consider the PB2+ is the fact that my current room is not permanent. I will (someday) build a house and more specifically a theater room. In that new room I would like to be able to use my current sub.

Having said that, I still think the PB1+ would suit me fine there. Plus, if I build the room and need to upgrade, I might just be able to justify an Ultra. Man, that would be sweet!

Thanks again for all the great information from all of you. This forum is outstanding. I read it almost constantly :D.

Tony

TonyWright

Second Unit
Ok all,

I am wavering now. I have been staring at the pics of the PB2+ on the SVS website. It is really starting to grow on me. I think I may just have to put some more serious thought to it.

I was watching Black Hawk Down last night. I am definitely missing something in my setup. The SVS will be a welcome addition.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Tony:

Did you recalibrate your system to RL with Avia? What is your MV setting in relation to RL at your loudest preferred playback level?

Also, set the SPL meter on C-weighted fast on the 100 dB scale and measure some SPL peaks at your loudest preferred playback level.

Based on your comments, I suspect you are hitting around 98-102 dB bass peaks at the seat, but let's check to be sure.

TonyWright

Second Unit
Ed,

I have some time tonight. I'll get my Avia disc out and do some more testing. I'll post another message here when I have the test results.

Tony

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Tony:

If you are having a hard time convincing the wife to spend the money on the PB1+ how are you going to pull off getting the money together for the PB2+.

If you are going to be buying a house in the future get the PB1+ and start to enjoy bass now.
When you get your house make the decision then as to what to get. Knowing SVS they will not only still have the best bang for the buck subs but ones that will cost less and blow away what they are already making.

Believe me once you put the PB1+ in play with your Swans you will wonder how you ever got away without the extra something something that an SVS will give your movies. Next thing you know your wife will be inviting her friends over to show off "her" theater and telling you to buy another sub. Great bass does something to wives. Must be the low vibrations. :)

TonyWright

Second Unit

I am at work and laughed out loud when I read that! Now the guy next to me wants to know what was so funny.

I figured the PB2+ is really only $100 more anyway. By the time I have the money together I'll probably still get the PB1+ anyway.

I really think she'll like the sound of the system. She is just a very moderate listener. She won't want volumes to be anywhere near reference. The sub should really help there though. I hope to be able to really feel the effect of the movie even without having to run at reference levels.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks